Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
We've had plenty of years where Republicans in Congress acted anything but conservative. And, as a result, the GOP has seen many incumbents lose in primaries. Yes, there are plenty of Republicans that have voiced that the government is not the source of job creation; this is a function best served by the private sector.

Most Americans want one of two things: government to create jobs or government to get out of the way. The result? The two party system. Sometime the pendulum swings to the left and other times to the right.
I beg to differ. Most Americans want the govt. to create more jobs. Again I go back to your logic that true conservatives do not want the govt. involved in job creation and that any Republican who would advocate for govt. to be involved in job creation is not a conservative. By your definition we do not have not one Conservative in the Senate because every Republican Senator vote yes to the Jobs Act, which is designed for the govt. to help stimulate job creation.

The bill is called the JOBS ACT> Senate passes JOBS Act, with tweak - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

The reason they are focusing on legislation designed to have the public believe they are interested in job creation is because they are not stupid. They know that it is required to get reelected.

So there are only two alternatives for the Senators that voted for the JOBS bills. They are either not conservative or they are simply liars who will say anything to get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Unfortunately, the private sector has chosen to take its jobs to countries where they can pay little and operate without offering any benefits; that doesn't help their fellow Americans in any way. The government exists for the common good of the population..."of the people, by the people and for
the people." If the private sector refuses to create jobs, who exactly should do so, if not the government?
Think of how many other things could be done. We could make it attractive to repatriate those dollars that are sitting overseas now and not doing us any good. And one thing in particular that I do tend to disagree with some Republicans on is the China most favored status. I don't believe in isolationism but I also do not think it's good for government to give a better trade position to China against ourselves. It's obvious our trade agreements with China need to be reformed.

In addition, unless you have loopholes written into the tax code for your particular industry and/or company, our corporate tax rate is simply not competitive globally. Instead of trying to see how much we can penalize companies, why aren't we fostering an environment where they can succeed and flourish? That's really the role of government in the economy. Trying to pick winners and losers in the private sector through the injection of government funds does more to harm the economy than help it because free market principles are not allowed to work as intended.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I beg to differ. Most Americans want the govt. to create more jobs. Again I go back to your logic that true conservatives do not want the govt. involved in job creation and that any Republican who would advocate for govt. to be involved in job creation is not a conservative. By your definition we do not have not one Conservative in the Senate because every Republican Senator vote yes to the Jobs Act, which is designed for the govt. to help stimulate job creation.

The bill is called the JOBS ACT> Senate passes JOBS Act, with tweak - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

The reason they are focusing on legislation designed to have the public believe they are interested in job creation is because they are not stupid. They know that it is required to get reelected.

So there are only two alternatives for the Senators that voted for the JOBS bills. They are either not conservative or they are simply liars who will say anything to get elected.
You do know that bill was about removing regulations, right? That's exactly what the right has been advocating; getting government out of the way. It wasn't about government created jobs.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Uh...............HELLO! Those wonderful folks fighting are WORKING. It's a job. They're earning money. Are YOU (or the hideous democrats) going to give them jobs as they return home?

Lord have mercy!
you fail to also realize that when the economy is bad many people join the military (except the well connected) so in a sense the same people that push for wars are the same people that are destroying our economy

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
You do know that bill was about removing regulations, right? That's exactly what the right has been advocating; getting government out of the way. It wasn't about government created jobs.
Why not call it the deregulation bill? Why call it the jobs bill? The answer is so simple that you have to admit that they want the public to believe that they are trying to improve jobs. That they want people to know that they the govt. representative is trying to help create more jobs.

I can post you quote after quote of Republicans saying that they are trying to help create more jobs. That simply does not jibe with it is not their role. You see the hypocricy don't you. Take off the partisan hat for a moment. They say these things because most Americans want the Govt. to help create more jobs and if there is a job loss or a job gain it is the representatives that try to take credit or pass blame.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In 400+ Days The House GOP Has Voted To Kill 1.9 Million Jobs And Created 0
I stopped here. What have they done to kill 1.9M jobs

Stop the hate jojajn

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
This thread, right here, exemplifies the single largest difference between the left and the right. The left wants to see some 'jobs bill' or government having a hand in 'job creation'. The right contends that government is nothing more than an impediment to creating jobs. So, no, you won't see a "jobs bill" from Conservatives. Why? Because it's not the government's place to create jobs. If you point to a Republican sponsored "jobs bill", then that makes it easier to figure out which Republicans aren't actually conservative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Private sector is the key to job creation, not the government.
Ok, so if the President's jobs bill for the rebuilding of the country's infra structure was passed who do you think was going to do the actual work? You do understand that there are many things that the government contracts out to private businesses?

Many of you republicans have to understand that Boner, Clueless and a few other republucans leaders can care less about anything else but getting rid of the current president and are doing everything possible to see that he fails........even if it means destroying this country. They have said that during the debt ceiling crisis. Which has never faced so much blockage until then, I wonder why

Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Why not call it the deregulation bill? Why call it the jobs bill? The answer is so simple that you have to admit that they want the public to believe that they are trying to improve jobs. That they want people to know that they the govt. representative is trying to help create more jobs.

I can post you quote after quote of Republicans saying that they are trying to help create more jobs. That simply does not jibe with it is not their role. You see the hypocricy don't you. Take off the partisan hat for a moment. They say these things because most Americans want the Govt. to help create more jobs and if there is a job loss or a job gain it is the representatives that try to take credit or pass blame.
I guess it's how you see things, right? I see it as Republicans doing what they can to create jobs in the private sector by creating the environment to do so. Quite frankly, I think it was a bit of political gamesmanship that they employed here. Yes, that gets tiring but it doesn't change the platform principles and I believe they followed those principles here.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, so if the President's jobs bill for the rebuilding of the country's infra structure was passed who do you think was going to do the actual work? You do understand that there are many things that the government contracts out to private businesses?

Many of you republicans have to understand that Boner, Clueless and a few other republucans leaders can care less about anything else but getting rid of the current president and are doing everything possible to see that he fails........even if it means destroying this country. They have said that during the debt ceiling crisis. Which has never faced so much blockage until then, I wonder why
Hyperbole is never a strong argument. Infrastructure is something both parties support and yet, there are differences in both how to get it done as well as how to pay for it. I find that if you want to argue the merits of a posiiton, do so, but resorting to simplistic name calling is neither effective nor convincing.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
To help create jobs, you have to help small businesses have the ability to create jobs... small businesses aren't going to create jobs if there is no demand for their services/products... people aren't going to demand more of their services or products if Obama keeps raising their taxes... something liberals will never understand...
Obama's not raising taxes on the vast majority of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies