Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I never said they did,

But YOU WOULD THINK, given what they experienced the past 3-4 centuries, blacks would be more open-minded to the gay community and support their fight against the institutional prejudices they face.

Instead, I give the people of my race too much credit. And the sad part is they onlyblindly reference the bible when someone asks them why they're against gay marriage.
No you wouldn't lol. You aren't going to convince most blacks that there's any parallel.

To be 100% with you, most blacks that I know who are against homosexual relationships, never quote the bible. Most from what I can tell just find the idea repulsive, and not much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
No you wouldn't lol. You aren't going to convince most blacks that there's any parallel.

To be 100% with you, most blacks that I know who are against homosexual relationships, never quote the bible. Most from what I can tell most just find the idea repulsive, and not much else.
Whites thought it was repulsive to have blacks marry their children, for their children to have half-black kids, for a black man to be in the white house, for blacks to work with them, live in their neighborhoods, eat in their establishments, etc.

Did it make their prejudices, and the systems they put in place to assure blacks "stayed in their place" right?

It's a simple yes or no question.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't see it that way. From what I can tell is that it's constantly the left gay community that constantly attempts to hinge onto the backs of the "black struggle." Honestly, I haven't heard right-wing conservatives say a thing about blacks and gays being even remotely on the same team.
Well that's because you're highly prejudiced against left-wingers and gays. Simple. You can't see the truth, which is that social conservatives on this forum often try to silence people from expressing their thoughts on this issue. If anyone dares to mention gays and civil rights in the same sentence, right-wingers will bellow, "How DARE you try to make a comparison between gays and blacks!"

Quote:
The left showed it's true colors when Roseann Barr attempted to shame blacks on prop 8 in California.
LOL! So now Roseanne Barr represents all left-wingers?

613 posts, read 760,459 times
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me.

It's funny of course how one race that's been discriminated against for centuries can have a strong prejudice for another group of minorities facing the same struggles they had to face.
Most of my dark skinned people are not comfortable with homosexuality, the reasons vary, but it is mostly because of Christian Churches they go to where they learn Jesus does not like it or something. White skin people don't seem to realize that quite a few dark skin people are really into the whole Jesus thing.

All people should see the homosexuality thing as not being their freaking business and they should get out of the way and let gay people get married. I can't believe that adults actually don't have something more important to do other than prevent gay people from getting married, but I guess it makes them feel powerful denying freedom to people.

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
You suggested only ignorant black people without jobs who live in the ghetto would vote for Democrats. In addition, you also suggested these Black Democratic voters are also lazy racist criminals. It is clear you, like most conservatives do not think very highly of black people.
Those are exactly the type of racial insults and prejudices that Black conservatives must endure from their political brethren....and Republicans still don't understand why they don't get more of the Black vote.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Default Many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays

Quote:
Like many black Americans, Dorsey Jackson does not believe in gay marriage, but he wasn't disillusioned when Barack Obama became the first president to support it. The windows of his suburban Philadelphia barbershop still display an "Obama 2012" placard and another that reads "We've Got His Back."
Many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays - Boston.com

This will anger right-wingers. They'll insist that blacks should be angry at Obama for supporting same-sex marriage. Watch for indignant reactions and faux outrage.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Admittingly, considering OBama is about the only candidate that comes close to representing the political views and needs of the black community and he's the very first black president, it will take everything short of re-instituting slavery turn blacks off from him.

EDIT: Obama's well aware of this BTW.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Many blacks shrug off Obama's new view on gays - Boston.com

This will anger right-wingers. They'll insist that blacks should be angry at Obama for supporting same-sex marriage. Watch for indignant reactions and faux outrage.
I've consistently said not too many Blacks will switch their vote as a result of this issue. Obama is the 2nd coming to most Blacks, nothing short of him coming out as gay or being caught cheating on Michelle with a white woman will change that.

Even then he'd still probably get 50% of the Black vote.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Yeah, I had a feeling this one issue wouldn't automatically turn off the Black community. For one thing, there are many gay-Black people in this country - so I'd assume they don't hate his position, nor do many/most of their heterosexual loved ones. But no demographic has complete solidarity in their political views, so it's not like ALL people of any group will feel the same way about stuff.

Anyway, none of the Black people I know (which includes a few family members, friends, colleagues, and even the guy I'm dating) are against gay marriage - and AFAIK this announcement hasn't changed their opinion of Obama, whether it was good or bad to begin with. Is anyone really going to say "that's it, I'm voting for the other guy!" based on this issue alone?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Whites thought it was repulsive to have blacks marry their children, for their children to have half-black kids, for a black man to be in the white house, for blacks to work with them, live in their neighborhoods, eat in their establishments, etc.

Did it make their prejudices, and the systems they put in place to assure blacks "stayed in their place" right?

It's a simple yes or no question.
Atleast finish your thought and the history lesson.

Whites (and I say that liberally) overwhelmingly came to the conclusion that blacks were pretty much just the same and/or entitled to pursue happiness as they see fit by attending the schools of their choice, eating in the restaurants of their choice, dating or marrying as they please, and even running for President should they choose to do so.

Most blacks from what I can tell simply see homosexuality as devient behavior, (by choice) and not much else. Some "behaviors" in society are simply unacceptable to folks. You aren't going to convince most folks that pedophilia should be a common acceptable practice anymore than you are going to convince a lot of blacks folks that homsexuality is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies