Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The problem with these books, the Bible and the Quran specifically, is they speak of good deeds as being the root of salvation in one instance and slaughter and killing in the next.

The Bible doesn't say that. It says Salvation is by faith in Christ and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
Disgusting, pathetic, and perhaps mostly, hypocritical.

First off, people are born gay. It is not a choice. If everyone is "created in God's image" and they are thus "perfect", then why would God condemn them to hell for something that they cannot control or something that is not a choice. I know that I didn't one day "choose" to be straight. I was born straight, it was not a choice that I made.

Also, God loves everyone. Period. The main premise of Christianity is to love one another and not to hate anyone (not even your enemies). I guess this church must have missed that memo. They're preaching and teaching hatred to the children in this group. They're indoctrinating them. Hypocrisy at its finest, my friends.

Is it just me or does it always seem that the Bible-thumpers and the ones that claim to be the most "religious" always seem to be the ones who are the most hypocritical and the ones who are most filled with hatred?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life". - John 3:16
Whoever: the sexually immoral, idolators, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers.

Even THEY can enter heaven IF they accept Christ's payment of their sin debt, confess him to others, believe in their hearts that God has raised Him from the dead and repent of their sins:

Repent--English translation of the Greek verb metanoeō--1) to change one's mind,

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Notice that a change in behavior is not a part of repentance. A change of behavior flows FROM repentance, but it does not precede it and is not necessary to have a change of heart about the things you do.

After Salvation, if he desires not to sin but does anyhow, he can seek forgiveness and get it because the Greek word translated as "sin" in the English means "to miss the mark." In other words, to be trying not to sin, but failing. Even those sins because the shed blood of Christ covers not only past sins, but present sins and future sins as well.

It's all a matter of one's intent. That's why Paul could describe himself as chief among sinners (in the present tense) and speak of how he found himself doing the things he should not and not doing the things he desired to do, but still be assured of heaven. He WANTED to do as God instructed, even when he didn't.

The point is that in that passage, Paul is demonstrating the difference between those still outside the faith and still lost in their sins, and those inside the faith and forgiven.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Disgusting, pathetic, and perhaps mostly, hypocritical.

First off, people are born gay. It is not a choice. If everyone is "created in God's image" and they are thus "perfect", then why would God condemn them to hell for something that they cannot control or something that is not a choice. I know that I didn't one day "choose" to be straight. I was born straight, it was not a choice that I made.

Also, God loves everyone. Period. The main premise of Christianity is to love one another and not to hate anyone (not even your enemies). I guess this church must have missed that memo. They're preaching and teaching hatred to the children in this group. They're indoctrinating them. Hypocrisy at its finest, my friends.

Is it just me or does it always seem that the Bible-thumpers and the ones that claim to be the most "religious" always seem to be the ones who are the most hypocritical and the ones who are most filled with hatred?
Homosexuals aren't born any different than the rest of us. We ALL are born condemned by sin and in need of Salvation. It matters not what sins tempt us.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Actually I'd prefer not to have to respond at all. If these threads were allowed to run their course, they'd all end after a page or two. But unfortunately, all too often we see threads die down and then someone comes along to throw gas on the fire.

Take the following post for example. That thread had been dormant for over a day and yet this morning the following post was made, I suppose to re-ignite the issue. Note the suggestion that gay people are filthy and diseased creatures that engage in nothing besides anal sex. What does anal sex have to do with the subject of that particular thread (marriage)? Why couldn't that poster have just let the discussion end? Why did she have to re-start the name calling?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post24540157

I don't know why people resurrect dead threads, but they do it all the time. I suppose it's just to stir the pot.

Wouldn't it be marvelous if we all treated each other as Christ told us to?

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise" (Luke 6:31).

I suppose those who hate and revile homosexuals would like to be hated and reviled in return. What a curious state of mind!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
A wise person said to me quite a long time ago. Something i never wanted to believe in, until now and what i see taking place in our Country.

At the root of most of our problems, is religious leaders, religion, people obsessed with religion, will come to ruin this Country, fighting will take place, and because of religion, some will die with the sword.

Never thought about that, infact, thought the person himself was a nut. But no more.
Because it does appear to be true, the root of so many of our evils, is a religion, non tolerant of those around them, who do not fit into their mold.
Shouldn't religion, teach tolerance, of those around you, even if they have their own opinions and beliefs.
But that is not the way it is, each religious person, feels there relgion is the one, the best, the one you should believe in, and that is where our problems begin.

No, the root of our problems is unbelief and an unwillingness to repent, just as it was in Sodom and Gomorrah. All these things you see are symptoms of that larger disease.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
Yet another reason that I'm happy to no longer be Christian and part of the hate train.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most liberals are Christians, not atheists. Opposing the psychological child abuse of children by religious extremists is something to be concerned about.
You don't get to define child abuse based on your uninformed beliefs - teaching the Bible is not child abuse. I could make a similar argument that NOT teaching a child the Bible is child abuse - it would have just as much validity as your ridiculous claim.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Whoever: the sexually immoral, idolators, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers.

Even THEY can enter heaven IF they accept Christ's payment of their sin debt, confess him to others, believe in their hearts that God has raised Him from the dead and repent of their sins:

Repent--English translation of the Greek verb metanoeō--1) to change one's mind,

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Notice that a change in behavior is not a part of repentance. A change of behavior flows FROM repentance, but it does not precede it and is not necessary to have a change of heart about the things you do.

After Salvation, if he desires not to sin but does anyhow, he can seek forgiveness and get it because the Greek word translated as "sin" in the English means "to miss the mark." In other words, to be trying not to sin, but failing. Even those sins because the shed blood of Christ covers not only past sins, but present sins and future sins as well.

It's all a matter of one's intent. That's why Paul could describe himself as chief among sinners (in the present tense) and speak of how he found himself doing the things he should not and not doing the things he desired to do, but still be assured of heaven. He WANTED to do as God instructed, even when he didn't.

The point is that in that passage, Paul is demonstrating the difference between those still outside the faith and still lost in their sins, and those inside the faith and forgiven.
Preach on, brother! Why would you assume that I disagree with anything you just wrote?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Preach on, brother! Why would you assume that I disagree with anything you just wrote?

Because you seemed to be agreeing with the song, that ain't no homo's gonna make it to heaven, when that clearly is not so if they repent and accept Christ.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies