Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Americans Have No Idea How Few Gay People There Are

Apparently the whole 2 percent must be on these threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
American TV shows make it seem like Gays are 30%

Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
I thought it was funny to note nobody (at least from what I have seen skimming the thread) noticed that while article said that only about 4% of people are gay - it also said that about 8.2% admitted having same-sex experiences and 11% admitted same sex attractions.

I didn't see any mention of the methodology used for this study. I don't see how a study can purport to measure gay people in the US when there are so many closeted people who are, for all intents and purposes, members of the straight community.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I thought it was funny to note nobody (at least from what I have seen skimming the thread) noticed that while article said that only about 4% of people are gay - it also said that about 8.2% admitted having same-sex experiences and 11% admitted same sex attractions.

I didn't see any mention of the methodology used for this study. I don't see how a study can purport to measure gay people in the US when there are so many closeted people who are, for all intents and purposes, members of the straight community.
These statistics are ones that they like to pull out their arses.

Hey, I'm gonna right a paper and come up with statistics...because I can.

Incredible.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
American TV shows make it seem like Gays are 30%
Really? Did you mean to say 3.0% (you know, the actual percent of characters on TV who are gay)?

Number of Gay Characters on TV Declines

For the 2011-2012 season, "the overall number of LGBT series regulars on scripted TV is down to 2.9 percent. It was at 3.9 percent during the 2010-2011 season.

Fox ... has 6.8 percent LGBT series regular characters ...out of 117 total series regular characters, 8 are LGBT.

ABC's percentage is down to 3.4 percent of characters being LGBT compared to 2010's 7.2 percent.

NBC continues to decline. Only 3 out of their 154 characters are LGBT.

The CW features one LGBT series regular characters out of 67.

CBS also only has one LGBT character out 134 total series regulars.

The number of scripted LGBT series regulars found on "mainstream" cable networks has also fallen to 29, down from 35 in 2010. However, the organization counted 25 recurring characters on cable."

Old 06-03-2012, 04:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
What the hell do we care for, and who is counting anyway! Gay people are no different then us, there are nuts, there are good ,there are bad, there are smart there are dumb, there are ingorant, there are mature, there are loving, there are those who hate and non tolerant of others. Just like straight people.
More important issues in this world right now, then how many Gay People are in the universe

WHO CARES!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM

716 posts, read 558,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Americans Have No Idea How Few Gay People There Are

Apparently the whole 2 percent must be on these threads.
I know, that's why I like giving them hell! lol

Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
I know, that's why I like giving them hell! lol
That apparently all gay people are on this forum is why you like to give gay people hell? What a strange reason.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

716 posts, read 558,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That apparently all gay people are on this forum is why you like to give gay people hell? What a strange reason.
Hey, they don't have any problem calling me a redneck or cracker. I am and don't try to deny it. I don't expect others to understand me or approve of me and the way I was raised and live my adult life. Stereotypes are fun until you are one. Just so all the gay people know not everyone out here kisses your butt and bows to you and approves of you. Maybe they do in your NYC neighborhood or LA condo. Seek opinions elsewhere and they will DIFFER greatly. To tell you the truth I don't really care what you do. Just don't expect US to like it and take your side like many other straight (at least half straight) folks on here are doing.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
Hey, they don't have any problem calling me a redneck or cracker. I am and don't try to deny it. I don't expect others to understand me or approve of me and the way I was raised and live my adult life. Stereotypes are fun until you are one. Just so all the gay people know not everyone out here kisses your butt and bows to you and approves of you. Maybe they do in your NYC neighborhood or LA condo. Seek opinions elsewhere and they will DIFFER greatly. To tell you the truth I don't really care what you do. Just don't expect US to like it and take your side like many other straight (at least half straight) folks on here are doing.
Look, no one is asking to do anything. You don't like, you know what? DON'T! That's YOUR PERSONAL issue. Those are YOUR FEELINGS...doesn't affect the next Joe.

Now when you want to GET IN THE WAY of people's rights because of how you feel, then that's where the problem is born. Trust me, most gay people do not want to move to no farm and take some ranch.

You respect their space and rights, and they will do the same. Very simple.

LIVE AND LET LIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies