Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If you're against homosexuals marrying, it seems to be the automatic assumption of most proponents of same-sex marriage that you must hate gays. If at least a large minority of them had it their way, voicing opposition to same-sex marriage would probably be criminal hate speech.

However, as somebody from the "other" side, I can categorically say this isn't true.

Most opponents - at least those that are vocal or organized - do NOT hate gays, just as most proponents do not hate straights. They simply believe homosexual acts (not the "orientation" or attraction) are immoral, and should not be enshrined in one of our country's institutions. Notice I did not say homosexuals, or even homosexuality itself - just homosexual acts. However, supporters often equate this disapproval of homosexual acts or the gay lifestyle with the hate of those who practice them. They seem to employ a heuristic (mental shortcut) in which a person is reduced to their acts, or even their sex life. Yet a person's acts and a person are two separate things. One can condemn their son's bank robberies without hating him; one can disapprove of their daughter's conversion from Sikhism to Buddhism without hating her, and the list goes on. So too can one disapprove of the actions of a group in society without hating them.

I have nothing against homosexuals. I have had numerous homosexual friends in the past. It's only their actions that disturb me, and how they try to gain acceptance or even official recognition of their relationships. Atheism does as well, but I have atheist friends too. A person is not only their actions or beliefs.

Gotta love the Bible. It's so wholesome and pure.

Ezekiel 23:20 NIV - There she lusted after her lovers, - Bible Gateway

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL Homosexuals are not a race they are a group, there is no discrimination, your name calling shows you have a problem as i stated before, my 10 year old niece acts just as you do, grow up.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..

So women aren't a group? They're a race???.... ONLY races have equality!!!??? What!???

So the US doesn't have to treat the disabled with equality????? (HINT: They're a group.)

"""abject stupidity IS " hateful, ignorant, antiquated, bigoted"""

Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..

\

Childish behavior, my point is proven, thankyou`

Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
If you're against homosexuals marrying, it seems to be the automatic assumption of most proponents of same-sex marriage that you must hate gays. If at least a large minority of them had it their way, voicing opposition to same-sex marriage would probably be criminal hate speech.

However, as somebody from the "other" side, I can categorically say this isn't true.

Most opponents - at least those that are vocal or organized - do NOT hate gays, just as most proponents do not hate straights. They simply believe homosexual acts (not the "orientation" or attraction) are immoral, and should not be enshrined in one of our country's institutions. Notice I did not say homosexuals, or even homosexuality itself - just homosexual acts. However, supporters often equate this disapproval of homosexual acts or the gay lifestyle with the hate of those who practice them. They seem to employ a heuristic (mental shortcut) in which a person is reduced to their acts, or even their sex life. Yet a person's acts and a person are two separate things. One can condemn their son's bank robberies without hating him; one can disapprove of their daughter's conversion from Sikhism to Buddhism without hating her, and the list goes on. So too can one disapprove of the actions of a group in society without hating them.

I have nothing against homosexuals. I have had numerous homosexual friends in the past. It's only their actions that disturb me, and how they try to gain acceptance or even official recognition of their relationships.
Blah, blah, blah... What a bunch of malarkey.

Do you "numerous homosexual friends" know how you really feel? I doubt it. If you really want to discuss this topic, you should email them with your thoughts and see what kinds of reactions you get.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
ANYONE who denies legal AMERICAN tax paying citzens their

E Q U A L

rights...MUST hate them and even if they don't it's the same results.

Denying EQUAL rights through ignorance , fear, bigotry, and abject stupidity IS " hateful, ignorant, antiquated, bigoted"
Quote:
LOL Homosexuals are not a race they are a group, there is no discrimination, your name calling shows you have a problem as i stated before, my 10 year old niece acts just as you do, grow up.
Quote:

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..

So women aren't a group? They're a race???.... ONLY races have equality!!!??? What!???

So the US doesn't have to treat the disabled with equality????? (HINT: They're a group.)

Quote:
Childish behavior, my point is proven, thankyou`
No, you actually need FACTS to prove a point....and the topic isn't me.

But I guess you can hide your embarrassment at thinking only "races" have equal rights by going off topic...

Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Quote:
No, you actually need FACTS to prove a point....and the topic isn't me.

But I guess you can hide your embarrassment at thinking only "races" have equal rights by going off topic...
LOL ok lets stay on topic, disagreeing is not hate. If ya want to be married say vows to each other, it's as simple as that, if it's not about love then it's a farce anyway.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:37 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Snarky, sarcastic, answers like this from the "rainbow coalition" is the reason why nobody will ever have a straightforward, honest, and blunt discussion on this board.

It doesn't matter what anybody who is anti gay marriage will say, they will be countered with accusations of being "homophobic, hateful, ignorant, antiquated, bigoted" from the opposite side.

By the way. Nobody is denying civil rights for gays, because marriage is NOT a civil right any more than religion is. A civil right is something that is fundamental to human survival or human existence. Gay marriage is not fundamental to human survival or human existence. Stop claiming it is.

Cornell Law - Civil Right
Actually according to the 1st amendment of the constitution, practicing your religion is a right. You should look up the constitution when you have time, really great piece of work.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:

I have nothing against homosexuals. I have had numerous homosexual friends in the past. It's only their actions that disturb me, and how they try to gain acceptance or even official recognition of their relationships. Atheism does as well, but I have atheist friends too. A person is not only their actions or beliefs.
Why does everyone who pushes this kind of drivel have to make sure that they mention all their "gay friends"? Any self-respecting gay person would have a problem being the friend of someone who uses such ridiculous, convoluted "hate the sin, not the sinner" reasoning to be agains their relationships.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
If my neighbor wanted to marry an animal, I would want nothing to do with him, I wouldn't want him near my family, and I certainly wouldn't want to be friends with him. I guess I have a higher standard for friends. I can say with no doubt that I consider all of my friends to be very cool and good wholesome decent people, all of them.
Not to mention that beastiality deals with a non-consenting partner.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
As a sin against faith, I see atheism in many ways as being worse than murder. Yet I still have atheist friends. As long as they don't try to convert me - and I do not see them as being an occasion of sin for me - I will befriend them.
The fact that you just admitted that you think a simple lack of believe in a higher power constitutes an offense worse than taking the life of another person... leaves your credibility as a rational, intelligent person in tatters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies