Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
the depraved homosexual men wanted to rape two angels who had appeared.. the angels blinded the men who wanted to rape them.
The poster was referring to the story in Judges 19 not Genesis 19.

It's obvious the men were heterosexual if you read Judges 19 as well as Genesis 19. Something it seems you have never done.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-12-2012 at 02:52 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Judges 19 is about sin and wickedness - because shortly after this rape the tribe of Benjamin was wiped out as a punishment.

it's similar to the Lot story with the destruction of his city - due to corruption.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Get a clue. The poster was referring to Judges 19 not Genesis 19.

It's obvious the men were heterosexual if you read Judges 19 as well as Genesis 19. Something it seems you have never done.
Actually - it is not clear if the men in either Genesis 19 or Judges 19 were homosexual or heterosexual. What is clear from both - was that same gender sex is wrong.
The men in Judges 19 didn't really care who they had sex with - although it is rather evident that they would have preferred the men to the homeowners concubine. The fact that Lot was willing to give his daughters to the men instead of letting them have sex with the angels(who the men of Sodom just saw as other men) strengthens the taboo of homosexual sex.

Your problem is that you are looking at homosexuality from an incorrect perspective - as a natural orientation. It is an unnatural preference and is a choice. The men in Judges 19 were described as "wicked" and so they were - they were "rapists and abusers" and had absolutely no shame about their perversity - which included sexual appetites for both sexes.

In any event - homosexuality is clearly demonstrated to be wrong by both accounts.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Judges 19 is about sin and wickedness - because shortly after this rape the tribe of Benjamin was wiped out as a punishment.

it's similar to the Lot story with the destruction of his city - due to corruption.
Yes the stories were similiar. But neither of the stories had anything to do with homosexuals.

In Judges 19 after threatening to rape the male Levite stranger, they raped..... a woman.

What do you know of the laws of hospitality at that time?

Read here for a brief overview:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7905-hospitality

"Lot was ready to risk his life and the honor of his daughters rather than transgress the laws of hospitality" (Genesis 19)

"The abuse of hospitality once caused a civil war in Israel which might have resulted in the extinction of the whole tribe of Benjamites (Judges 19.)"

Old 08-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually - it is not clear if the men in either Genesis 19 or Judges 19 were homosexual or heterosexual. What is clear from both - was that same gender sex is wrong.
What was clear from both is that rape of male strangers who had been invited to stay under a local man's roof was wrong because it was against the laws of hospitality.

Rape does not equal 'homosexuality' or 'same-gender sex'.

Quote:
The men in Judges 19 didn't really care who they had sex with - although it is rather evident that they would have preferred the men to the homeowners concubine. The fact that Lot was willing to give his daughters to the men instead of letting them have sex with the angels(who the men of Sodom just saw as other men) strengthens the taboo of homosexual sex.
Seriously you are blinded by your prejudice. Read about the laws of hospitality at that time. Read about male rape throughout history (and in current times). It has NOTHING to do with homosexuality.
We know that men who rape other men are not usually homosexual, they are most often heterosexul. Rape is not about sexual attraction. Male rape is about dominance and humiliation.

Quote:
Your problem is that you are looking at homosexuality from an incorrect perspective
No that appears to be your problem.

Quote:
The men in Judges 19 were described as "wicked" and so they were - they were "rapists and abusers" and had absolutely no shame about their perversity - which included sexual appetites for both sexes.

In any event - homosexuality is clearly demonstrated to be wrong by both accounts.
No. Rape of strangers and breaking the laws of hospitality at that time were clearly demonstrated to be 'wrong' by both accounts.

HOSPITALITY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

"Lot was ready to risk his life and the honor of his daughters rather than transgress the laws of hospitality" (Genesis 19)

"The abuse of hospitality once caused a civil war in Israel which might have resulted in the extinction of the whole tribe of Benjamites (Judges 19.)"

Last edited by Ceist; 08-12-2012 at 03:20 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Sanspeur - you just cannot see the truth

of course angels exist, perhaps you need to conceptualize them differently though
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously? You actually believe that angels exist, and these stories are recounting real events?
Quote:
Seriously, you dont?
I don't believe in Santa, (oops I mean Satan) either. But no doubt you guys do.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, but it will continue to be.

I remember one sermon I heard as a younger person. The pastor stated something to the effect that statistically, if children have not accepted the faith by a certain age, they were unlikely to do so.

What does it say about the rationality of a belief when people can't rationally accept it, and only acquire a belief in it if it is inserted into their minds in an a priori fashion before they have reached an age where they are even capable of critical thinking?
It's like Bertrand Russell's celestial teapot.:
"If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time"

Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Embrace the incest? No thanks.
You might be surprised to find out what they are teaching young children in the public schools these days.

They think it's just fine to teach:
  • Masturbation
  • Homosexuality/Lesbianism
  • Sex (even in kindergarten they are being taught sex)
Besides, the Bible isn't being taught in school, unless you are sending them to a private school, and young children first learn about Christ, and Adam and Eve.

The chapters and verses you referrenced above are probably not even read by most adults, unless they are involved in some intense Bible study. I'm a Christian, and have been for many years now, and have been in many Bible studies, yet when I read your post and went to my Bible to look it up in context, this was the first time I have ever read those verses.

I think you are being ridiculous.

What is your point with this thread? Are you thinking of forming an activist group against the Bible to get it removed from hotels and motels? Good luck with that.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You might be surprised to find out what they are teaching young children in the public schools these days.

They think it's just fine to teach:
  • Masturbation
  • Homosexuality/Lesbianism
  • Sex (even in kindergarten they are being taught sex)
What's wrong with being taught sex education at an appropriate age? This would include masturbation (which is natural) and homosexuality (which is natural for a small percentage of the population), as well as responsible attitudes towards sex, respect, safe sex etc.

You claim children are being taught Sex in kindergarten? Who told you that? Glen Beck? Rush? The World Nut Daily? The FRC? AFA?

Who's being ridiculous?

Quote:
You
The chapters and verses you referrenced above are probably not even read by most adults, unless they are involved in some intense Bible study. I'm a Christian, and have been for many years now, and have been in many Bible studies, yet when I read your post and went to my Bible to look it up in context, this was the first time I have ever read those verses.
Most Christians I have met have never read the whole Bible. Which is kind of shocking for those who loudly claim it is the 'inerrant Word of God". If it is, then why wouldn't they want to read it all? Perhaps because if they did, they might actually realise that it couldn't possibly be the 'inerrant Word' of a Deity?

Quote:
I think you are being ridiculous.

What is your point with this thread? Are you thinking of forming an activist group against the Bible to get it removed from hotels and motels? Good luck with that.
I think grown adults who still need to believe in the equivalent of Santa are being ridiculous. However they are entitled to believe whatever they want. It's only when they abuse children by indoctrinating them and telling them that the Bible is factual rather than mythical/allegorical or try to get Creationism taught in Science classes, or misuse the Bible (which most of them haven't read) to restrict the rights of other people (women, Jews, blacks, gays etc), that I have a problem. Then I'll happily expose how they are being ridiculous.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-12-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 04:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Default Christian Bashing popular on C-D

Quote:
Haters gonna hate - Bible haters are no different.
This is just another Christian bashing thread, which seems to be very popular on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies