Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Children are being taught Sex in kindergarten? Who told you that? Glen Beck? Rush? The World Nut Daily? The FRC? AFA?
Who's being ridiculous?
I'm surprised you didn't know that. It isn't exactly "news." I think this was part of Joycelyn Elders program during the Clinton years. I could be wrong, but it's been many years now.

Why do you mention those particular sources? Do you think they lie? Of course you do.

Quote:
Most Christians I have met have never read the whole Bible. Which is kind of shocking when they then loudly claim it is the 'inerrant Word of God". If it is, then why wouldn't they want to read it all? Perhaps because if they did, they might actually realise that it couldn't possibly be the 'inerrant Word' of a Deity?
I'd be willing to be that Jews have read every word of what we call the "Old Testament", but for Christians, an uderstanding of the New Testament does not require a complete and thorough understanding of every book, chapter, and verse of the Old Testament. Understanding certain concepts does require understanding of Jewish traditions, the Law, etc. and we study those places thoroughly in the Old Testament that aid understanding.

But who are you, an unbeliever, to preach to a Christian about what one has or hasn't read? I'm still ahead of you. I'm saved.

Those who are perishing love to mock God, and laugh at those of us who are saved from the wrath of God.
Romans 1:16
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."
Romans 1:18-20
18 The wrath of God is being reveald from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who supress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

I think grown adults who still need to believe in the equivalent of Santa are being ridiculous. However they are entitled to believe whatever they want. It's only when they abuse children by indoctrinating them and telling them that the Bible is factual rather than mythical/allegorical or try to get Creationism taught in Science classes, or misuse the Bible (which most of them haven't read) to restrict the rights of other people (women, Jews, blacks, gays etc), that I have a problem. Then I'll happily expose how they are being ridiculous.[/quote]

And you are entitled to mock God and perish.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm surprised you didn't know that. It isn't exactly "news." I think this was part of Joycelyn Elders program during the Clinton years. I could be wrong, but it's been many years now.

Why do you mention those particular sources? Do you think they lie? Of course you do.
Of course those particular far right conservative sources lie. They get caught out all the time.

Please provide a source for the claim that kindergarten children are being taught SEX.

Quote:
I'd be willing to be that Jews have read every word of what we call the "Old Testament", but for Christians, an uderstanding of the New Testament does not require a complete and thorough understanding of every book, chapter, and verse of the Old Testament. Understanding certain concepts does require understanding of Jewish traditions, the Law, etc. and we study those places thoroughly in the Old Testament that aid understanding.
So you just cherry-pick the Bible. And read what you are told to read.

Quote:
But who are you, an unbeliever, to preach to a Christian about what one has or hasn't read? I'm still ahead of you. I'm saved.
. I'm someone who has some educated opinions on the topic. And going by this thread alone, I know far more than any of the 'Christians' on this thread about history, the Bible, and the cultures in which the biblical texts were written.

So what do you believe you are you 'saved' from? All eternity in a lake of fire?

Quote:
Those who are perishing love to mock God, and laugh at those of us who are saved from the wrath of God. And you are entitled to mock God and perish.
Oh, so you believe in a wrathful angry righteous god and not a loving accepting God. Curious how people seem to create their God in their own image.

BTW, I'm about as scared by your threats as I would be if you'd said Santa wasn't going to come down my chimney and give me presents this year.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
perhaps not, but the message can still be portrayed correctly.

or would you prefer the kids to read Facebook instead?
Yes! I would rather my kids read Facebook rather than a book which promotes sexism, racism, bigotry, and violence!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You mean Judges 19?

An old man invited a Levite stranger (male) to stay in his house. A gang of townsmen surrounded the house and called out “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him." (ie rape)

Instead the old man offered up his virgin daughter and the Levite's concubine (female).

The townsmen ended up gang-raped the woman all night. It was her master, the Levite who dismembered her.

Notice the similarity to Genesis 19 and the story of Lot and Sodom? Where the townsmen threatened to rape the angel messengers? And Lot offered up his virgin daughter for them to rape instead?

I'm always curious that those Christians who use the story of Sodom to condemn gays, never seem to have read this similar story where it's obvious that the men who wanted to rape the male Levite stranger were actually heterosexual, not 'gay'.
I'm curious as to why the Christians think nothing of a father offering up his virgin daughter to be gang raped!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually - it is not clear if the men in either Genesis 19 or Judges 19 were homosexual or heterosexual. What is clear from both - was that same gender sex is wrong.
The men in Judges 19 didn't really care who they had sex with - although it is rather evident that they would have preferred the men to the homeowners concubine. The fact that Lot was willing to give his daughters to the men instead of letting them have sex with the angels(who the men of Sodom just saw as other men) strengthens the taboo of homosexual sex.

Your problem is that you are looking at homosexuality from an incorrect perspective - as a natural orientation. It is an unnatural preference and is a choice. The men in Judges 19 were described as "wicked" and so they were - they were "rapists and abusers" and had absolutely no shame about their perversity - which included sexual appetites for both sexes.

In any event - homosexuality is clearly demonstrated to be wrong by both accounts.
In fact, homosexuality is demonstrated to be so wrong that a father should attempt to thwart it by offering up his virgin daughters for a gang rape as an alternative.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
This is just another Christian bashing thread, which seems to be very popular on City-Data.
Actually, we are bashing the blatant and graphic violence as depicted in the bible and often endorsed by the Christian god.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

And you are entitled to mock God and perish.
This is the number one reason too many people subscribe to the irrational propagation of sexism, violence, racism, hatred, genocide, and bigotry that their god of the bible demands.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Quote:
Rape of male strangers was a common occurance. It was used to dominate and humilate by treating men like they would a woman. Nothing to do with homosexuality because the men would have been heterosexual.

But treating strangers badly was against the laws of hospitality. Women had little value, so a man offering up his daughter, a virgin girl or a concubine to be gang-raped instead of a man was better than going against the law of hospitality.
and as disturbing as this is, people think kids should learn this?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Quote:
You mean Judges 19?

An old man invited a Levite stranger (male) to stay in his house. A gang of townsmen surrounded the house and called out “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him." (ie rape)

Instead the old man offered up his virgin daughter and the Levite's concubine (female).

The townsmen ended up gang-raped the woman all night. It was her master, the Levite who dismembered her.

Notice the similarity to Genesis 19 and the story of Lot and Sodom? Where the townsmen threatened to rape the angel messengers? And Lot offered up his virgin daughter for them to rape instead?

I'm always curious that those Christians who use the story of Sodom to condemn gays, never seem to have read this similar story where it's obvious that the men who wanted to rape the male Levite stranger were actually heterosexual, not 'gay'.
agreed, but i still don't think gang rape,death,dismemberment should be taught to kids

Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
LINK HAS ADULT LANGUAGE/PROFANITY.
The 6 Raunchiest, Most Depraved Sex Acts (From the Bible) | Cracked.com
The Bible is full of murder, adultery, stealing, idol worship, perverse sexual practices, lies, incest, abuse, slavery, cruelty and baby killing.

The very first book has rape for GOd's sake.
Slate blogs the Bible. - Slate Magazine

Genesis 34..
Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land. 2 When Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and raped her. 3 His heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob; he loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her. 4 And Shechem said to his father Hamor, “Get me this girl as my wife.”

That's just sick.

Think about this for a minute. If you had another book, which wasn't the bible, just a book full of the same stories, and read that with children, you could be charged with a crime.

Disseminating Matter Harmful to Juveniles
Furnishing, selling or presenting obscene material to a juvenile directly and in any manner constitutes disseminating matter harmful to juveniles. Additionally, merely offering to do so can be considered a crime of distribution of harmful material.

Think about it. How many people know the story of Lot and his daughters and his incest? Besides from the Bible? And when did they learn that story? When they were 18 and could handle it?
Lot (biblical person) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ezekiel 23:20
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

That's in motel rooms, people. A book full of perversions and filth.
Obscenity is a hard word to define, but laws in the United States generally state that it has to solely be of prurient interest. The Bible certainly is not solely of prurient interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies