Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Somehow I think that reading those dried up old Biblical stories might not be such a bad thing afterall .. Maybe we would have less of those movie theatre, church, and school shootings that everyone seems to be so into these days.
And maybe more incest, rape, massacres and stonings?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm glad that you apparently support no longer teaching evolution in public schools.
oh dear

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It's ironic that the Bible said we were made from the dust of the earth 6 or 8 or 10 thousand years before science said we were made from the dust of the earth ..

We evolved only "after" we were made .. Science is even suggesting that we were made from "the right combination of chemicals" .. um .. all of which are found right here on earth ..

Before any of you knock science or the Bible ... take a good long look at both .. because if you try to discredit one over the other, you will always be wrong.

The Bible backs Science just like Science backs the Bible .. They are either both fairytales .. or not .. which is it? .. You can't have it one way or the other.

Creation and Evolution are both true ..

Now what's all this nonsense about being feeble? ..
oh dear

Old 08-12-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Did you go to Chapter 35 and see how these men were dealt with...........I love it when people who haven't read the Bible in it's full context take it chapter by skipped chapter and present their false belief as truth.
I know. Some Christians do that when they cherry pick verses out of context to condemn others.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes, the bible is truthful about how men get off course and can become depraved without the instruction of God their maker.. the liberals want to move closer and closer to the days of when men knew not God nor his righteousness.
Umm... YHWH commanded his people to commit actions we consider atrocities in the 21st century.

Or were the Biblical writers lying that their God commanded them?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are the children's editions the "inerrant and infallible Word of God" too?
perhaps not, but the message can still be portrayed correctly.

or would you prefer the kids to read Facebook instead?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, but it will continue to be.

I remember one sermon I heard as a younger person. The pastor stated something to the effect that statistically, if children have not accepted the faith by a certain age, they were unlikely to do so.

What does it say about the rationality of a belief when people can't rationally accept it, and only acquire a belief in it if it is inserted into their minds in an a priori fashion before they have reached an age where they are even capable of critical thinking?
I do not believe you are correct here.

Belief in God can come without even ever seeing a Bible or Church.

God has been in existence for eternity - but the Bible makes it easier for us humans to understand the message.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
most adults don't even know the bad parts of the bible, since pastors/teachers skip over it. my mom at age 60 read about this gang rape ,murder,dismemberment of a prostitute in the bible and didn't speak for 2 days because she was mortified.
You mean Judges 19?

An old man invited a Levite stranger (male) to stay in his house. A gang of townsmen surrounded the house and called out “Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him." (ie rape)

Instead the old man offered up his virgin daughter and the Levite's concubine (female).

The townsmen ended up gang-raped the woman all night. It was her master, the Levite who dismembered her.

Notice the similarity to Genesis 19 and the story of Lot and Sodom? Where the townsmen threatened to rape the angel messengers? And Lot offered up his virgin daughter for them to rape instead?

I'm always curious that those Christians who use the story of Sodom to condemn gays, never seem to have read this similar story where it's obvious that the men who wanted to rape the male Levite stranger were actually heterosexual, not 'gay'.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-12-2012 at 02:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You deny that the Kingdom of Israel existed, think that Persia, and Babylon were fictional civilizations, believe that the Roman Empire is fake, and are saying that Jesus Christ did not live?

O.K.
Speaking of using strawman arguments... That's not what the poster said at all.

Just because a book mentions some real places or events doesn't mean everything in the book is factual or existed. Myths of Thor or Zeus mentioned real places and events. Does that mean Thor and Zeus were real?

BTW, we have ample proof of the existence of the first four in your list.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
actually the men gave up the concubine (sorry not prostitute) and their daughter(they didn't take the daughter) because the men wanted them, but to avoid homosexually (i guess?), they thought it was better to gang rape the woman to death.
Rape of male strangers was a common occurance. It was used to dominate and humilate by treating men like they would a woman. Nothing to do with homosexuality because the men would have been heterosexual.

But treating strangers badly was against the laws of hospitality. Women had little value, so a man offering up his daughter, a virgin girl or a concubine to be gang-raped instead of a man was better than going against the law of hospitality.

Last edited by Ceist; 08-12-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies