Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM

89,250 posts, read 45,002,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Republicans and 'neo-liberal 'right-wing Democrats continue their war against working people.
Rahm Emanuel a right-wing Democrat?!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM

46,338 posts, read 27,192,583 times
But I thought that unions were the poop daddy to be in? If they are so GREAT....why are they striking?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But I thought that unions were the poop daddy to be in? If they are so GREAT....why are they striking?
Well it seems the Dems are at a loss here. What a conundrum. Support the Dems or support the unions ?
Obama is playing it safe by not saying anything.
No petitions to recall Rahm either.

What's more important..your "party" or your principles regarding unions ?
When there is no more money left there is not much you can do to keep your unions happy.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,969,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The strike is about over, hasn't and never had much to do with pay.
Getting an early start on those lies this morning huh?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,665,805 times
I read the whole first depressing page of this thread. My question is, "What is the pay range of a Chicago teacher?" What is the average pay range for other workers such as office management jobs in that area. Percentages mean nothing. With the GM workers, knowing what the worker makes was very interesting.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,430,716 times
What is wrong with "earning" your way up through how the kids perform. Isn't the goal of school to teach the children?

Why is Obama silent on this issue? How will it effect him politically? Just asking.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM

89,250 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well it seems the Dems are at a loss here. What a conundrum. Support the Dems or support the unions ?
Obama is playing it safe by not saying anything.
No petitions to recall Rahm either.

What's more important..your "party" or your principles regarding unions ?
When there is no more money left there is not much you can do to keep your unions happy.
Sums it up pretty well.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's almost worse than pay -- the teachers do not want to be held accountable for their poor job performance. Kids failing on stardardized exams isn't something they want to be responsible for in any way.
That's because they can't control many of contributors to low test scores, they don't want to be evaluated on someone else's parenting skills. I'm all for being evaluated on test scores if it compares what Johnny Smith knew at the beginning of the year to what he knows now. It is unfair to evaluate me based on whether Johnny Smith does as well as Johnny Brown. They don't live in the same homes.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 AM

876 posts, read 710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Romney, once again ... doesn't know what he's talking about. The teachers have seemed to acted very responsibly. Just one example: an independent arbitrator ruled the city was obligated to increase their pay so substantially high, that they were entited to the higher wages because of abuses fostered by the Chicago Board of Education and for other factors, that the Union turned this down because of the financial burden it would place on the city. The teachers won their arbitration. Hands down. They and the city have been involved in honest collective bargaining. The City and its taxpayers have their financial problems. The teachers are entitled to more. Let the collective bargaining system work, as the law provides for. First and foremost, I think the teachers have had the children's interests amongst the most important they're dealing with. The people who care for and teach our children are important. That's where Willard Romney and I disagree. I believe education is important.
I don't think it is Romney that doesn't know what he's talking about. This whole rant of your's is a contradiction.

The teachers are acting "very responsibly"? But, you believe education is important? If you think it so important than wouldn't the responsible thing to do as a teacher be to educate the children?

If they "have been involved in honest collective bargaining" then why are they striking? This doesn't make sense to make the kids suffer because they have not come up with an agreement.

"Let the collective bargaining system work"....uhhh.. that is the problem. It obviously is NOT working or the kids would be in a classroom right now.

"I think the teachers have had the children's interests amongst the most important they're dealing with". If their main priority was the children then they would do what is right and teach the children WHILE negotiating.

Romney never said he didn't care for teacher's, but it is obvious that he is more concerned about the children. Shouldn't they be put first?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM

46,338 posts, read 27,192,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That's because they can't control many of contributors to low test scores, they don't want to be evaluated on someone else's parenting skills. I'm all for being evaluated on test scores if it compares what Johnny Smith knew at the beginning of the to what he knows now. It is unfair to evaluate me based on whether Johnny Smith does as well as Johnny Brown.
There is a base that teachers must attempt to get across to their students, those tests are not based on anything more than a base....and the students are still not passing...

Oh, and if you disagree....then why are all the other teacher around the United States not complaining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies