Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 PM

27,155 posts, read 15,330,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They also want teachers who have been fired to be reinstated. IMO, they should fire all the teachers and start over. Lots of teachers would love to make $76,000 a year.

Heck, I would like to make $76k a year or even the mean salary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Well move to Chicago and become a teacher, I am sure they could use more good teachers that are interested in teaching.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM

27,155 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
You and your father benefitted and continue to benefit from the unions and yet you condemn the teachers union? Seems a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Boy, you sure missed the boat on this one.

I was illustrating how things are not so bad though there are those that cry, "poor me, I slave for pennies".

I was sharing my firsthand view of it. No hypocracy whatsoever.

Now the everyone give me everything attitude as I sacrifice?
That's hypocracy in spades.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 AM

858 posts, read 2,994,036 times
Hard to have sympathy for a union that claims they want improvements, yet asks for a 30% pay raise over two years, knowing they will settle for something less. To me, that's not fair bargaining. One of the issues apparently is class size, well, they sure cant hire new teachers if the current teachers gobble up every cent for themselves.

The school district which is $3B in the hole offers them 16% over four years, and they still strike. Who else is getting that kind of pay increase.

The Dems want to know if we are better off now than 4 years ago; well it appears the Chicago teachers are; would they have gone on strike 4 years ago? whould they have gotten a 16% pay raise 4 years ago?

And the teachers and union are in it for the kids.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times
Once again the corrupt, greedy, unions try to take over with their demands.

Obama will of course back them as he needs the union vote.

The school system should give every one of those lousy excuses of teachers one day to get back to work or fire them immediately!! I am sure there are plenty of good teachers needing jobs that would gladly take the pay and benefits those losers are complaining about.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think there is any item in the teacher demands to improve student home life.
The teacher's demands will take money from the parents, potentially degrading their home life.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I don't know that you could go to Chicago and become a teacher. It requires an ability to understand what issues are involved in things. Like a school's ability to provide a learning atmosphere and recognizing when those things are not there or inhibited. The 2 remaining issues are about to be resolved, neither of which is pay. Contrary to what you want to believe, and what some people want you to believe, pay was not a big issue in the strike.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is difficult for a parent working a job without the benefits and tenure protection of a teaching job in Chicago to be sympathetic.

Romney would do well to say he is carefully looking at this issue. Rahter than make sweeping comments that show him up to be woefully uninformed about education in this country. Chicago is a microcosm of our country's problems with education.
Romney is just trying to find some traction on, well, anything.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 AM

The strike is about over, hasn't and never had much to do with pay.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The strike is about over, hasn't and never had much to do with pay.
Day 2. They are striking over pay, healthcare benefits and job security.
They refused 16% salary increase, don't want to be evaluated on student performance and want to keep their current healthcare benefits.

Sounds much like what the WI teachers wanted. Yet, I don't hear any angry Dem union supporters voicing a recall effort on Rahm.

Why are the Dems refusing to give the unions what they want ? I though the Dems were pro-union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies