Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I'd have to go with Anchorless here.

If it was a German-American Club or similiar or even a Euro-American Club, that would be fine and is indeed common. A Caucasian Club might be done as a spot of irony if you were promoting a color blind philosophy. But I notice nobody save for liberal whites buys into that (hence all the clubs). So Caucasian Club would be regarded as racist.

Of course Asian-American club is a big tent and its not like various Asian countries have much in common or even like each other. So that one is kind of absurd as well. Japanese-American club or similiar would be more appropriate.

African-American clubs are generally harmelss and understandable. Most blacks are not able to trace their lineage the way European descended folks can and its not like slaves were brought from nation states.

Yea I am rambling but that is what happens when you open the Pandora's box of racial and ethnic identities.

furthermore, Im not sure everyone realizes that these African American clubs directly stem from originally being denied membership to so many unlabeled Caucasian American clubs; including govt. offices. African Americans established their own clubs AFTER being excluded from the clubs of other ethnic groups. And while those clubs may not have been titled "the whites only club", any loon could see that they did not intend to include different ethnicities, as evident by their actions.

As these clubs existed and continued to develop different chapters, until the time that "traditional" clubs became open to members of varying ethnicities, the members of those "African American" clubs had already developed kinships and relationships within their respective clubs. Were they to dissolve the tradition that they had started after being barred from the "ethnically nuetral" clubs, simply because they were finally being allowed access?

Please note, that titles such as BET did not stem from African Americans excluding whites from their media channels but rather the media, which was at the time, largely controlled by whites excluding African Americans. Just food for thought.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
This is why it is necessary that there is a black history month (well perhaps not an entire month. But young people should at least be made aware of the historical origins of our society and the components that have made it such.) and other ethnicly diverse holidays...because young people today, much like this lady's son may not be aware of the historical context for why conditions are the way they are in today's society...Its easy to approach these topics with no perspective nor context to its origin. But when framed in an accurate context, the picture tends to become much clearer to its audience.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM

236 posts, read 442,165 times
[quote=solytaire;1700289]furthermore, Im not sure everyone realizes that these African American clubs directly stem from originally being denied membership to so many unlabeled Caucasian American clubs; including govt. offices. African Americans established their own clubs AFTER being excluded from the clubs of other ethnic groups. And while those clubs may not have been titled "the whites only club", any loon could see that they did not intend to include different ethnicities, as evident by their actions.

As these clubs existed and continued to develop different chapters, until the time that "traditional" clubs became open to members of varying ethnicities, the members of those "African American" clubs had already developed kinships and relationships within their respective clubs. Were they to dissolve the tradition that they had started after being barred from the "ethnically nuetral" clubs, simply because they were finally being allowed access?

Please note, that titles such as BET did not stem from African Americans excluding whites from their media channels but rather the media, which was at the time, largely controlled by whites excluding African Americans. Just food for thought.[/QUOTE

I disagree with you on the BET issue. BET has only been around for maybe 10 years. There was not a discrimination issue at that time. I would think If White Media had excluded African American people then we would have seen huge lawsuits and the ACLU come in. BET, Ebony magazine, Black music channels. These were created for black people. Not for all people. Just like the clubs. The clubs were created for Black, Mexican, etc. Of course they have to say that all people are included but that is not why they were originally created.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,234,283 times
Ok I have to jump into the madness here. BET was created more than 20 years ago to showcase RnB and Hip Hop videos that were NOT getting any play on MTV or VH1. Hell, MTV would barely play Prince back in the 80s. And certainly, you don't need someone to explain to you why Ebony magazine was started back in 1945?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
furthermore, Im not sure everyone realizes that these African American clubs directly stem from originally being denied membership to so many unlabeled Caucasian American clubs; including govt. offices. African Americans established their own clubs AFTER being excluded from the clubs of other ethnic groups. And while those clubs may not have been titled "the whites only club", any loon could see that they did not intend to include different ethnicities, as evident by their actions.

Please note, that titles such as BET did not stem from African Americans excluding whites from their media channels but rather the media, which was at the time, largely controlled by whites excluding African Americans. Just food for thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Ok I have to jump into the madness here. BET was created more than 20 years ago to showcase RnB and Hip Hop videos that were NOT getting any play on MTV or VH1. Hell, MTV would barely play Prince back in the 80s. And certainly, you don't need someone to explain to you why Ebony magazine was started back in 1945?

I stand corrected. Thank you for correcting me
Tina

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Causasians already have a club that caters to their every whim.

Its called the United States of America.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Well, that's good news. Could I have a million dollars and some sparkling water?

Montclair, you want to get that, please?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

That is your opinion right?? Because in my opinion they don't. I think you need to make sure you clarify that it is your belief.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM

457 posts, read 431,817 times
Quote:

you have GOT to be joking! Us white Americans bend and cow-tow to every perceived minority group in this country! If we don't, we're branded racists!

Just look at the so called "Jena 6" or as I like to call them, juvenile delinquints. THEY started the fight by demanding to "take the white guys tree"; They made a great big production of it and unfortunately got the result that they wanted.

then SIX of them went and beat the hell out of the white guy. But, WE are racist and run the country, right? Not to mention Affirmative action, the NAACP, and on and on and on.

It's about time for all of the "oppressed" people in this country to consider trying PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as a means of bettering themselves; There is WAY too much attitude of entitlement nowadays.

I say go ahead and start a Caucasian Club! Don't get too excited though, we'll be forced to integrate it soon enough.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM

While your at it do you think that I can get a million also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies