Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a liberal and a Democrat who believes in shared burdens and recognizes that New York is one of those states that contributes more to the federal revenues than they receive in return I am stunned by this request. 100 percent reimbursement for "economic" loses? I'm sorry but such a request is simply out of line with both precedent and fiscal reality and leaves me speechless especially Cuomo's demand that local governments in New York state stop demanding more assistance from the state's government.

Cuomo tells communities to lay off the mandate complaints - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Stunning and very disappointing.
I agree. The parties in question should have purchased insurance, they had that option but refused to do so, that's their problem. That said, there are some legit expenses which the Feds should help out on but that doesn't include Cuomo's demands for limitless free money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If we are truly the Christian nation we claim to be then why wouldn't the rest of the country want to help pay for the costs of devastating disasters that happen around the country? This one, Sandy, is too big for any local area to absorb the costs of clean up and that's what our disaster relief funds are designed to do. By the grace of God it could have been you or me....and still could be in the future. Then we'd be the ones glad for the aid of our fellow tax payers.
We are not, sadly. A large subset of the population wholeheartedly applies Christian principles only when it comes to controlling and minimizing women.

In relation to Sandy--I agree with you--worked in New Orleans post-Katrina and saw first hand how invaluable aid was to helping families in need and restoring communities. Now, my hometown in NY is in shambles and without power, NJ and the coast of LI far, far worse. People are helpless and stranded. Most people are coming together, helping out via myriad ways, the response has been wonderful--leave it to this forum to have someone post insensitive content regarding this disaster.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Should You and I Pay for 100% of Sandy Cleanup
You can't.

But you should pay for what should help the nation and its people who have suffered.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You can't. But you should pay for what should help the nation and its people who have suffered.
Agreed. Should NY City also pay their fair share or rely 100% on money from others ?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM

15,533 posts, read 10,507,413 times
It depends on what is publically owned or privately owned. The interstate or federal highways are a given, the tax payers pay for that. The state or city owned tollroads, subways and airports in an ideal situation we wouldn't pay. However, since this affects the welfare of so many people (in and out of city and state) I think it's in our best interest to pay for it. Think national industries and commercial companies. (Random thought on my part, but wouldn't the city have some sort of insurance for the subway system?) What I object to is paying for private structures on the water, those businesses and homes should have flood insurance. That has driven me up the wall for years.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Where do people get the idea that the government is in the business of rebuilding their homes? My home received major damage from Cat 4 hurricane Hugo in 1989. Serious damage and loss were all around us. Not one person I know got any public money and did not want any. We all had insurance to replace our homes. It is up to the individual to rebuild their homes.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Where do people get the idea that the government is in the business of rebuilding their homes? My home received major damage from Cat 4 hurricane Hugo in 1989. Serious damage and loss were all around us. Not one person I know got any public money and did not want any. We all had insurance to replace our homes. It is up to the individual to rebuild their homes.
Yea, that's believable.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, that's believable.

Personally I could give a damn what you believe. I am telling you the absolute truth. Most people do not depend on others to support them. I know there is a certain segment in this nation that do, but I am not one of them. My money came from Nationwide Insurance company and nobody else.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
He (as well as Christie) are asking for 100% of certain costs (emergency work) and 90% of others, which it is acceptable to request as per the Fed code

This is the actual letter.

Quote:
Dear Mr. President:

New York is requesting the maximum authorized federal reimbursement for federal aid pursuant to 44 C.F.R. § 206.47(b) and (d) in the response to and recovery from Hurricane Sandy in all of the federally declared counties in New York State. Under subdivision (d), FEMA is authorized to provide 100% reimbursement for Direct Federal Assistance and Category B emergency protective measures implemented in response to the hurricane. Under subdivision (b), FEMA is authorized to grant New York 90% of the eligible costs of permanent work.

As described in 44 C.F.R. § 206.47(d), “If warranted by the needs of the disaster, we recommend up to 100% Federal funding for emergency work under section 403 and section 407, including direct Federal assistance for a limited period in the initial days of the disaster irrespective of the per capita impact.” We have determined that the significant impacts from Hurricane Sandy plainly warrant providing this assistance.

Our counties are responding to the continued impacts of multi-building fires, tunnel closures, power losses to hospitals and other critical infrastructure, destroyed homes and sheltered populations – all in the midst of historic flooding that has complicated emergency response operations exponentially. Moreover, the cost to restore the complex electrically driven subway and rail transportation systems after total inundation from saltwater flooding will place a tremendous financial burden on New York State. The impact of this storm on thousands of small businesses is devastating and unprecedented. Initial estimates project up to $6 billion in lost economic revenue in the greater metropolitan area and the State due to the severe disruption of business in the world’s leading financial hub and the largest port on the northeastern seaboard.

This support is critical to ensuring that our State and local governments are able to respond effectively to the emergent and continuing issues associated with the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy.

Should you have any questions, your staff may contact Steve Kuhr, the State Coordinating Officer, at [number redacted by CapCon].

Sincerely,
ANDREW M. CUOMO
Link to the federal regulation he cites in the letter
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...-sec206-47.xml

§ 206.47Cost-share adjustments.
(a) We pay seventy-five percent (75%) of the eligible cost of permanent restorative work under section 406 of the Stafford Act and for emergency work under section 403 and section 407 of the Stafford Act, unless the Federal share is increased under this section.
(b) We recommend an increase in the Federal cost share from seventy-five percent (75%) to not more than ninety percent (90%) of the eligible cost of permanent work under section 406 and of emergency work under section 403 and section 407 whenever a disaster is so extraordinary that actual Federal obligations under the Stafford Act, excluding FEMA administrative cost, meet or exceed a qualifying threshold of:
(1) Beginning in 1999 and effective for disasters declared on or after May 21, 1999, $75 per capita of State population;
(2) Effective for disasters declared after January 1, 2000, and through December 31, 2000, $85 per capita of State population;
(3) Effective for disasters declared after January 1, 2001, $100 per capita of State population; and,
(4) Effective for disasters declared after January 1, 2002 and for later years, $100 per capita of State population, adjusted annually for inflation using the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers published annually by the Department of Labor.

(c) When we determine whether to recommend a cost-share adjustment we consider the impact of major disaster declarations in the State during the preceding twelve-month period.
(d) If warranted by the needs of the disaster, we recommend up to one hundred percent (100%) Federal funding for emergency work under section 403 and section 407, including direct Federal assistance, for a limited period in the initial days of the disaster irrespective of the per capita impact.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
I think we help out in emergencies. What is happening there right now is an emergency. Rescue people, get them out of there and safe or to medical care if needed. From there they can figure out perhaps a relatives house to go to and how to get there, or a temporary shelter. Assisting people to find a temporary roof over their head would be a great way to help others right now. Things are still in the works I'm sure, but times like these people volunteer and food and supplies get sent. I think that is where our obligation ends.

Didn't we learn something from 911 and Katrina? There is not such thing as an emergency that lasts for years. There are just some people that would like to turn it into one for themselves in order to take from others. If you didn't buy insurance, rebuilding your house is not an emergency that others should pay for. And if you are still living in temporary shelter provided by our government 6 or 8 months from now you should be thrown out on your azz. Unless the storm has made you severely disabled I don't think the tax payers owe you anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies