Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There are way more important things to do, like any of them will even have time for that. My NYPD friend is currently fishing out bodies and will be for weeks to come.

You have absolutely no idea what is going on here.
Agreed. Most are working off duty and/or volunteering.

Friends (medical residents, hospital staff) stayed off hours to help evacuate patients at Bellevue Hospital after the generator blew, leaving the hospital in Katrina-state, no water, little lighting, no bathroom facilities.

My younger brother is a volunteer firefighter and has worked around the clock in Long Beach, NY to help put out fires as the local department is maxed, families are stranded, and the waters, up to six feet earlier in the week, have been slow to recede.

What have you done today to help victims of this storm, or generally, anyone in need KUChief?

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 11-01-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Clarified last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
How about we do this:

ALL the people who WANT to give money and believe the rest of America should, THEY donate ALL of their extra income for these people to rebuild. Better yet, they should sell their homes and cars, live in a cardboard box, and donate all of that money to these people and, hell, all the others who are losing their homes all across the country.

They won't. Never will. They just love to spend other people's money.

Its not my responsibility to rebuild ANYONE's house. Let alone pay for it to be rebuilt. You bought it, rent it, etc and its YOUR problem. Not mine.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
You have absolutely no idea what is going on here.
The Gulf coast states have been doing this for years so we do have a very good idea. New Yorkers just think the world starts and ends in their city.

10% is not enough. Raise your taxes and pay the standard 25%.

Remember Obama's favorite line about "Paying your Fair Share" ? Just do it.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We had a major storm here this past summer. We were out of power for three days with others for weeks. There was a ton of damage. Nobody asked the federal government to pay the bill.
You sure about that?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Agreed. Most are working off duty and/or volunteering.

Friends (medical residents, hospital staff) stayed off hours to help evacuate patients at Bellevue Hospital after the generator blew, leaving the hospital in Katrina-state, no water, little lighting, no bathroom facilities.

My younger brother is a volunteer firefighter and has worked around the clock in Long Beach, NY to help put out fires as the local department is maxed, families are stranded, and the waters, up to six feet earlier in the week, have been slow to recede.

What have you done today to help victims of this storm, or generally, anyone in need?
I've donated money and items to the local shelter, we have been advised to stay off of the roads here. Still many impassable streets and wires down, no power in 95% of the area.

All Fire and Police I know have been working 18 hour shifts and will be for some time. The scenes at NYU Medical (manually ventilating NICU babies) and Bellevue have been nothing short of amazing.

If anyone wants to donate anything, the shelters really need UNDERWEAR. Dead serious.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
How about we do this:

ALL the people who WANT to give money and believe the rest of America should, THEY donate ALL of their extra income for these people to rebuild. Better yet, they should sell their homes and cars, live in a cardboard box, and donate all of that money to these people and, hell, all the others who are losing their homes all across the country.

They won't. Never will. They just love to spend other people's money.

Its not my responsibility to rebuild ANYONE's house. Let alone pay for it to be rebuilt. You bought it, rent it, etc and its YOUR problem. Not mine.
No one is asking to have their houses rebuilt. That's not whats being requested. Don't know why people keep acting like it was.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,809 times
Quote:
I've donated money and items to the local shelter, we have been advised to stay off of the roads here. Still many impassable streets and wires down, no power in 95% of the area.

All Fire and Police I know have been working 18 hour shifts and will be for some time. The scenes at NYU Medical (manually ventilating NICU babies) and Bellevue have been nothing short of amazing.

If anyone wants to donate anything, the shelters really need UNDERWEAR. Dead serious.
Sorry newtoli, that question wasn't in reference to you, the other poster who posted inanity; I clarified it.

I'm sending a few boxes to NJ shelters and a group collecting supplies in Long Beach--yes, heard underwear and D-batteries are in demand.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
When my house suffered major damage in Hurricane Hugo in 1989, It never occured to me to seek Federal money. That was the last thing on my mind. I knew I had insurance to cover my home. I don't get the idea that people think that the government or anyone else should rebuild their property. Where does this mindset come from.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
When my house suffered major damage in Hurricane Hugo in 1989, It never occured to me to seek Federal money. That was the last thing on my mind. I knew I had insurance to cover my home. I don't get the idea that people think that the government or anyone else should rebuild their property. Where does this mindset come from.
The mindset comes from nowhere because that's not what is being requested.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Did they actually say the money would be going towards home-rebuilding efforts also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies