Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
But what did that top 1% pay on their capital gains. which is where they make most of their money....
15 percent now. Obama wants to raise it 20 percent.

But remember, the top 1 percent, $500,000 a year or more, are all not little Mitt Romney's

There is the argument that the increase in capital gains tax could be up to 70B a year,
but at the same time it would discourage investing; which in turn doesn't helps the economy
and then there's this other little thing called double taxation

All this back and forth could be solved with repealing the IRS and simply having
a Nat'l sales tax.

The U.S. is the only rich country in the world without a national sales tax.
e.g. Germany has one at 19%, Britain at 20%, Korea at 10%.

But I guess if you folks want to fight over a broken tax system and pit
the rich against the poor go at it. I just don't see any winners in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Incorrect. There are 180 million voters. Not all turned out to vote.
60 million elected Obama.

That is 30%.

Your 52% is 52% of those that voted, not 52% of Americans.
Pedantic. Of all the people who cared enough about the direction of this country to get their butts out and vote, a majority — 52% — voted to say they want President Obama's version of America. Exit polls put the number of those voters who think the rich should be taxed more at a staggering 60%. So you can play your little word games all you want. President Obama has a mandate from the electorate to enact his tax policies. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

I hope Obama fulfills that promise for you. He had a problem doing it in 2010
Oh wait, he skipped over that to allow extension of unemployment benefits (hint: no jobs)
When are you going to realize that this President is a temporary fix kind of guy.
Want a permanent fix:

I'd suggest you start with repealing the 16th amendment Then you wouldn't need to concern yourself
with whether the wealthy are paying their fair share.
Another suggestion, start your own business so
you won't have to complain about that evil company that employs you.
That is, IF you have a job...in this economy.
Lady, I do have my own business. Two, in fact. And I have 5 people who report to me in one of them and am getting ready to hire someone in my other business. This economy has been just fine for me, just like it's been just fine for the wealthy and corporations that have seen the stock market nearly double and all-time historic record high profits.

The philosophies of our Founding Fathers, who literally established this country for the Common Good, are finally back in practice. Get used to it.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Let the Bush:Obama tax cuts expire. All of them.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Because that is the system that all parties agree to. The question now is now mcuh more and that is degatable still.Obama how wants taxcuts he and other democrats said they didn't get under Bush to stay inplace .I can remmber when theywanted them to expire ebcause the cuts were only cuts for the rich. It wasn't that long ago they campaign for Bush taxcuts to expire which emant all cuts. My now the rethoric chnages.Now many Demnocrats seem to thnik this is 2008 where they won both house witha fillerbuster proof supre makoprtuiy and the presidency. Nothig has really chnaged since mid terms.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Pedantic. Of all the people who cared enough about the direction of this country to get their butts out and vote, a majority — 52% — voted to say they want President Obama's version of America. Exit polls put the number of those voters who think the rich should be taxed more at a staggering 60%. So you can play your little word games all you want.
I didn't play any "word games". You said 52% of Americans and that was incorrect.
52% of Americans is near 160 million people.
I showed you the numbers to back up my post saying you were incorrect and why.

It's either..

52% of those that voted, 30% of registered voters or 19% of Americans but it's not 52% of Americans that put Obama into office.

Because 52% of Americans did not put Obama into office this election.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
15 percent now. Obama wants to raise it 20 percent.

But remember, the top 1 percent, $500,000 a year or more, are all not little Mitt Romney's

There is the argument that the increase in capital gains tax could be up to 70B a year,
but at the same time it would discourage investing; which in turn doesn't helps the economy
and then there's this other little thing called double taxation

All this back and forth could be solved with repealing the IRS and simply having
a Nat'l sales tax.

The U.S. is the only rich country in the world without a national sales tax.
e.g. Germany has one at 19%, Britain at 20%, Korea at 10%.

But I guess if you folks want to fight over a broken tax system and pit
the rich against the poor go at it. I just don't see any winners in that scenario.

A national sales tax of the type proposed would soak the bottom third and get a lot of people angry. I see a lot of winners and a lot of losers in that scenario, is that really what you want?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Have you heard that old truism, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction? Do you not think that if people in high finance and industry, etc. experience increased costs, they will just pass it on the consumers of there product as a price increase? Thus, it is the little guy, the alleged 99 percent person who will get hurt in the end. Now will one of you brilliant liberals tell me where I am making a mistake in my thinking?
I always love this little chestnut of a scare tactic on why it's best to never actually tax companies because they just pass the costs onto the consumer. A company bases what they sell you an item on what you are willing to pay for it. They don't decide to raise the prices simply because their tax bill now rises. Sometimes businesses simply eat the lose in profit is all, and find other ways to increase revenues. Why conservatives have such a difficult time with basic economics is beyond me.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Don't confuse use taxes at the state level with federal income tax
beyond payroll Medicare taxes for folks that have earned income.

Quit the spin that folks on Welfare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, Unemployment
or those who make their money illegally contribute equitably.
I'm sure they contribute to society in many ways, but paying
federal taxes isn't one of them

According to Congressional Budget Office numbers:

"Those in the bottom 40% of households got more money back then they paid and
those in the top 10% paid an effective income tax rate of 15.9%
and those in the top 1% paid 19.7%."

I earn minimum wage, which definitely puts me in the bottom 40%, I pay federal income tax and I have never gotten back more money than I paid in.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A national sales tax of the type proposed would soak the bottom third and get a lot of people angry. I see a lot of winners and a lot of losers in that scenario, is that really what you want?
They are already angry and no it would not soak them. A national sales tax with exemptions for food, medicines, clothing allowance, that's what I want.

Not to mention a balanced budget amendment

Yep, that's my dream list.

I'm sick of this tit for tat wealth vs poor horrible tax system we have now....
and the federal government's big fat thumb

Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,671,464 times
Quote:
They are already angry and no it would not soak them. A national sales tax with exemptions for food, medicines, clothing allowance, that's what I want.

Not to mention a balanced budget amendment

Yep, that's my dream list.

I'm sick of this tit for tat wealth vs poor horrible tax system we have now....
and the federal government's big fat thumb
Well...look what the breeze blew in. polly/wolly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies