Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry, but you're going to have to read what I actually wrote.
I did. You claim Republicans are obstructionists fighting to maintain the status quo. But it's actually DEMOCRATS who are blocking progress by refusing to allow school vouchers/choice so that they can keep as many people as possible dumb, poor, and beholden to the Democrats who promise them ever-increasing amounts of freebie benefits paid for by other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I did. You claim Republicans are obstructionists fighting to maintain the status quo. But it's actually DEMOCRATS who are blocking progress by refusing to allow school vouchers/choice so that they can keep as many people as possible dumb, poor, and beholden to the Democrats who promise them ever-increasing amounts of freebie benefits paid for by other people's money.
No, I don't think you did. I'm sorry. I'm for vouchers. They are a real possible solution for "advancement and provided with the proper monitoring, are a good way to sidestep possible entrenched bad practices of some (though not all, of course) public schools." There are other possibilities, but I think vouchers are a good one that so far has a mostly good track record. I'm not for obstructionist elements in either party, and I cite Republicans because they are in the position to obstruct the elected executive office which is Democrat. If it's reversed with a Democratic party with a large element that is able and willfully obstructing things with a Republican POTUS despite how good the idea is, then they need to quit it, too. You don't have to choose sides via parties, you choose sides via issues and what you think will work. Things just need to work.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think you did. I'm sorry. I'm for vouchers. They are a real possible solution for "advancement and provided with the proper monitoring, are a good way to sidestep possible entrenched bad practices of some (though not all, of course) public schools."
You may be for vouchers, but the Democrat party definitely isn't. They know darn well who their biggest voter base is and they want to keep as many people in that demographic group as possible: dumb and poor. Look at the data yourself:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No. they attended public schools. Is there something that is different about inner city public schools from outer city public schools?
Yes. Inner city public schools have a culture of low expectations for their students, especially black students. Many black students are not provided educational counseling like public school children in "outer city" public schools. Many black students are not informed of the availability of AP classes that can give them college credits while they are in high school. Many inner city public school teachers will pass a child because they feel bad for a child even if that child is not performing as they should academically.

You must not have much experience with inner city schools to know that this goes on. From my personal experience, I will share that I have a young cousin who is 13 and is gifted and in the "Challenge" program here in Atlanta. He has been in a "blocking" class since 6th grade because he is gifted. He is in 8th grade now and didn't have books at all in two of his classes until recently. He is one of 60 students in the Challenge classroom in his school of over 500 students and he has not received any counseling about the availability of test prep for the SSAT test which is for admission to private schools of which he may be eligible to attend as he scored in the 99th percentile his last Iowa Test last year. He has not had any sorts of counseling about high school even though he is very advanced in all subjects. This would not happen if he went to the "outer city" school on the other side of town or even if he went to a KIPP charter school in this city. Many of those students get full ride scholarships to local and out of state private boarding schools across the country who score in ranges like my little cousin scores. They think because they are "blocking" his classes that they are doing something of huge service to him. He came to this school already in the 99th percentile in 5th grade and in his elementary school he was not referred to any extracurricular activities or any sorts of programs of enrichment for gifted students. There is actually a summer enrichment plan in this city that I know about and so I signed him up for this program myself. His counselor never informed his mom about this program even though it is a popular program in the city for Challenge Program kids.

Quote:
I agree with this. Democrats are obstructionist in providing quality education to public school children. Luckily all Democrats are not opponents of school choice and in many states Democrats, especially black Democrats as was portrayed in the video posted, are heavily lobbying for charters and vouchers. We don't have time to wait while for schools to be "fixed." There are kids in class now who need good instruction and not promises of fixes in the future.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You may be for vouchers, but the Democrat party definitely isn't. They know darn well who their biggest voter base is and they want to keep as many people in that demographic group as possible: dumb and poor. Look at the data yourself:
You are claiming that the Democrats, as a whole or all individually, whatever you want, want to keep people dumb and poor which is something I don't at all buy. I don't understand where that's even coming from, because that is a ridiculous assertion. Some people who are Democrats might not have thought out or be very well informed about certain issues and might be counterproductive towards what they want, but I have serious doubts that they actually actively want a dumber and poorer population. Making that assertion alone sounds to me one part stupidity and one part paranoia. I also know a lot of Democrats who are for vouchers--even if the majority of Democrats are not. You know why that's good? Because that means they're concerned with issues rather than just the party. Fantastic. Great. Where is my goddamn multiparty system so if people have to be painted in broad party stripes, there is at least a more inclusive party for their views?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You are claiming that the Democrats want to keep people dumb and poor which is something I don't at all buy. I don't understand where that's even coming from, because that is a ridiculous assertion.
Did you not look at the data? Who is the biggest Democrat demographic? The poor. Has been for years. It's in the Democrats best political interest to keep as many people as possible dumb and poor to ensure more votes. How do you not know this?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Did you not look at the data? Who is the biggest Democrat demographic? The poor. Has been for years. It's in the Democrats best political interest to keep as many people as possible dumb and poor to ensure more votes. How do you not know this?
How did that data turn into Democrats want people to be dumb and poor?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
How did that data turn into Democrats want people to be dumb and poor?
The poor are Democrats' biggest block of voters. That's a fact. Dumb people are more likely to be poor than smart people. Can you really not see that it's in the Democrats' best political interest to keep as many people as possible dumb and poor in order to ensure votes?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
The poor are Democrats' biggest block of voters. That's a fact. Dumb people are more likely to be poor than smart people. Can you really not see that it's in the Democrats' best political interest to keep as many people as possible dumb and poor in order to ensure votes?
How does this relay into the Democrats want people to be dumb and poor. Honestly, have you met any Democrats in your life? Do you really believe the people you know to be democrat actually want people to be dumb and poor? Is this really something you hold to be true?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
How does this relay into the Democrats want people to be dumb and poor.
To maintain their voter base.
Quote:
Honestly, have you met any Democrats in your life? Do you really believe the people you know to be democrat actually want people to be dumb and poor?
I suspect they don't even realize that it's a Democrat party goal.
Quote:
Is this really something you hold to be true?
Yes. It's self-evident. The Democrats' biggest voting block is the poor. The Democrat party fights school vouchers/choice tooth and nail. How can you possibly miss the implication?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies