Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Florida is one of the states which is allowed to pay its restaurant workers less than minimum wage because they are expected to "make it up in tips". Perhaps the state should bump up all its restaurant workers to actual minimum wage (something which exists in states like California which have no shortage of quality restaurants as a result).
Yup. California is in wonderful shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Does nayone rally beleive that buisness do not pass o cost and health insurqnce is one of those cost. Look at auto workers.its was shown that 1500 dollars poer vehicle was to provide benfits for auto workers,Its just aprt of how prices are determniued;plian and simple.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
In other words, you're saying that the rules apply to everyone but you. Got it.
What rule did I break?

FYI, calling a deliberately misleading poster a deliberately misleading poster IS NOT a personal attack.

Or are you trying to tell me "StuporStar indeed!" on a board filled with Mooshelle, Obummer, etc. and regular calling of posters *******, conservitard, etc. is?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
I always thought that I worked a job for wages. Either those wages were acceptable or not. If they were not, I found something else that was. Somewhere along the line, this grand nation of such independent thinkers got the idea that an employer is supposed to wipe his employees' asses for them, and coddle them like the good fairy.

I don't have insurance. I've rarely been provided it by employers. And I've never expected it from them. I work for a wage. My employer is not my mommy and daddy. What I hope is that every employer in the United States cuts working hours to 20 per week. I wonder how loud the spoiled little babies would start crying about that? That's what happens sooner or latter when you twist somebody's arm and give them the finger. They give you the finger right back. As for this employer, I say way to go.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Which appears to be the case in the fast-food biz, since the vast majority of the businesses which have made these dramatic announcements are fast-food franchises employing more than 50 workers.

Does anyone know of a owner-operated restaurant with fewer than 50 employees - say, Joe's Bar and Grill on Main St. in Anytown - making this decision? Perhaps the franchise fast-food model is simply flawed, and this provision of the ACA has now exposed the flaw.

I'll just eat at Joe's - I like independent places better anyway, they have character and the food's almost always better.
Yep, me too.

But for those who do like their chains - let's see - a 5% surcharge on a 4.99 Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity is 24.95 cents.

I don't mind paying that so the breakfast waitress (who make the worst tips) can go to the gyno once in a while.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Jesus Christ S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uSbh2MsxdNs

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah, only as pointed out: You don't raise prices, say it's Obamacare's fault, and then reduce workers' hours to avoid being subject to Obamacare at all!

Hook, line and sinker for RWNJs.
Oh, I agree that this guy made a really stupid move.

But for every idiot like this guy openly doing what he did....there are dozens of other business owners that are looking at their options and making a decision relative to the legislation.

Some of them will do nothing, some will raise prices and some will change work hours and so forth.

Picking out one idiot might make people feel better (on both sides of the political spectrum) but it's not *free* healthcare. SOMEBODY is going to pick up the tab. I even mostly support Obamacare, just speaking the truth and it seems we have both sides around here being at least a little dishonest in their portrayals of the situation.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And? They'd do the same if their water bill went up, or if the city charged more to take out the trash.

That's business.

If you can't absorb that kind of ebb and flow, then your operating margins must be pitifully small to begin with.

One of your skills as a business owner is how to offset various cost increases with smart decisions in other areas you do have control over. If you can't do that, then you aren't a very good business person.

One upside should be that if you have an employee who is unproductive because of some health issue they're complaining about, there is no reason why they won't be able to go get it taken care of. You'll have less loss of productivity due to employee ailments, less call outs, less general malaise. It's only all doom and gloom if you choose make it that way.

The ability to adapt is a primary skill of every good business owner.
You're comparing the yoke of this sweeping tax with a water bill? Must be Perrier water.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
Yes, as well as a CEO to his stores.
True, Metz is the President and CEO of RREMC Restaurants, LLC. But she said the CEO of Denny's, he is only a Franchisee of Denny's. Its a very important difference.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
Yes, as well as a CEO to his stores.
So the foot stompers who didn't get what they want on election day also have to take a business class. Hmm.. Taxes are going up because I doubt they've got the grades to start anywhere but the local Community College.

Or maybe they've all been playing with their Gumbys and know how to stretch things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies