Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
He got the 5k somewhere in between dropping out of high school and finally purchasing his first house @ 42...

in between that he had developed a great cocaine addiction (now recovered) from the benefits of white privilege and a very lenient judge that granted him "white privilege" that put him in a maximum security prison for 4 years (early release) for a non violent crime. Of course, if he was black...he would have been buried under the jail, right? (because we all know blacks just don't get released from prison...they are there forever )

How many blacks are in the banking industry??? I don't know.. and I don't care.. Do you know? banking professionals are very behind the scenes for a reason. One of them is because they rob people blind daily. I don't know what you are getting at besides the fact you want more blacks in the most corrupt institution in the world.

again....remember that 47% White and 16% Black total population disparity again? <-- Want to address that?

I don't care whose back this country was built on... yours wasn't one of them

I have asked many black people many things... but none of them a stupid question like "How many times have you been told you don't have experience for a job". Because why would I do that? I've been told that plenty of times. That's just part of life.

Again, at what point do you come to the realization that blacks are "equal" in society? What is a defining moment in your own perspective? When there are as many black people holding office as white? When there are as many black people that are CEO's and bankers as there are whites?

If that was right now... I hate to break it to you... that would be an unequal society. Because with an American population that has a ratio of about 5:2 white to black.... Equal power in office, in banking and other positions of power would by systemically unequal!!!

So, please.. tell me what is your vision? Without posturing with phantom "intangibles" or trying to pass off your perception as fact.
What type of job did your Dad get after serving 4 years in jail that enabled him to buy a home at 42?

And if you don't know the EXTREME bias in cocaine vs crack convictions/sentencing, you should read up on it.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What is your definition of black privilege?

And if an employer "preferred" to hire a white person, that is a HUGE thing. It is not something small to dismiss.
black privilege is any relationship where somebody is excluded in preference of a black person. Simple, they have benefited from it.

Too bad the examples of somebody white, hiring somebody white.....because they are white....is not something you can overtly observe. Because it is not done overtly. Which leaves most black people who cry about it to "perceive" it.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post

I have no respect for such a male

Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What type of job did your Dad get after serving 4 years in jail that enabled him to buy a home at 42?

And if you don't know the EXTREME bias in cocaine vs crack convictions/sentencing, you should read up on it.
A good job...that he won on merit. Also, there were other white people that applied for the job. He must have won it because he was white.

And where did I say he was convicted for cocaine?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
black privilege is any relationship where somebody is excluded in preference of a black person. Simple, they have benefited from it.

Too bad the examples of somebody white, hiring somebody white.....because they are white....is not something you can overtly observe. Because it is not done overtly. Which leaves most black people who cry about it to "perceive" it.
OK; so give me examples, because your definition does not show anything about it being a benefit.Or maybe I shouldn't push it, because I honestly don't think you even believe "black privilege" exists.

re: hiring. Nowadays the "preference" is not as overt as pre-Civil Rights movement, but it is there. There is no crying or whining; it's life. I don't let it hold me back and I use this knowledge as a way to know the type of company I would want to work for anyway.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
A good job...that he won on merit. Also, there were other white people that applied for the job. He must have won it because he was white.

Your answer is vague (I'm not surprised). But I'm also not surprised that your father was successful even as a felon. He had just as much of a chance of getting hired as a black man with no record:

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

And this was a study from 2008; imagine his odds in the "good old days".

ps. Your story about his cocaine use and arrest seemed to blend together, so I assumed they were related. Doesn't matter; my point still stands regarding the sentencing discrimination.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
OK; so give me examples, because your definition does not show anything about it being a benefit.Or maybe I shouldn't push it, because I honestly don't think you even believe "black privilege" exists.
I don't believe black privilege exists....just like white privilege doesn't....that was my point!!

Unless you want to argue that white "privilege" comes from the sheer population advantage? Well, then make more babies?

Quote:
re: hiring. Nowadays the "preference" is not as overt as pre-Civil Rights movement, but it is there. There is no crying or whining; it's life. I don't let it hold me back and I use this knowledge as a way to know the type of company I would want to work for anyway.
It can't be as overt because of legislation. Which actually does nothing to promote trust between White and Black relations in the country. It shouldn't hold you back... And if you are at a point in your life where you are content and feel that you've done so on merit, or did it in spite of what you believe to be measures leveraged against you, more power to you.

Happy New Years.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Your answer is vague (I'm not surprised). But I'm also not surprised that your father was successful even as a felon. He had just as much of a chance of getting hired as a black man with no record:

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

And this was a study from 2008; imagine his odds in the "good old days".

ps. Your story about his cocaine use and arrest seemed to blend together, so I assumed they were related. Doesn't matter; my point still stands regarding the sentencing discrimination.
I guarantee you my father would have preferred the "white privilege" to kick in at the justice level and have suffered the uphill climb @ the workforce level.

And I agree...if that's white privilege..you can have it...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
the problem with removing race from the application is if you have a white sounding name, but are black. when you walk into the interview and they see you, they dont want anything to do with you. you can tell by watching the facial expressions when they first see you.

i say make race a mandatory requirement on applications, most companies do have the eeoo thing or whatever. the white hiring manager whos a racist isnt going to hire you either way.

i say be up front with it in the beginning. if its a problem, then oh well, there loss. i would rather not receive a callback because i listed black on my app then be called in and waste my time for a job i have no shot at because you are black.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM

397 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:

You said he did four years! Wow,how did you forget thatyou just let the cat out big time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies