Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Apples and oranges. No one is proposing that businesses should refuse to serve anyone because they are homosexuals.
Au contraire. One person in this thread (the only one anyway) is openly suggesting that anti-homosexual laws be passed throughout the land that homosexual marriages not be recognized, so no it's not apples and oranges since the Muslim analogy fits perfectly. I doubt NY Jew would appreciate the honesty permeating from that statement either.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You don't abandon your religion when you start a business. Religious beliefs don't stop during working hours. As I said, you have no clue about what you speak.
No, but if you provide a public service and are a public business then the state rules, laws, and regulations have more impact on your business than your religious beliefs. You can put up a disclaimer in your shop or place of business stating your this or that religion and how it might effect the business you run, but that's it.

When it comes right down to it, if you run a *public business* that provides a *public service* then the state rules, laws, and regulations > your religious beliefs.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
it's forbidden by Jewish law to rent my property for a "wedding" between 2 members of the same sex. What is and is not Judaism will not be decided by some liberal anti Semite on a computer, but by Jewish sources.
Then why are you speaking on the matter?

Take your own advice for once would you.

And just so you know - it's NOT forbidden by Jewish law to rent property for a wedding between two members of the same sex. Maybe your branch of Judaism says that, but that's not the overarching law concerning all of Judaism, so nice try but it didn't work.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
stop hiding behind "gay rights" and admit that you agree with the NAZI policies of closing down Jewish run businesses. I am under no obligation to obey Anti Semitic laws.
What does the German Army have to do with anything? Nazis are in Germany - we are in America, they are no longer a threat to the world or your people. A Jewish run business in any state must adhere to some degree to the rules, regulations, and policies set forth by the state.

You nor anyone else is under no obligation to obey Antisemitic laws, but here's the problem: what Antisemitic laws are you exactly fighting against? I ask because there are absolutely none whatsoever in this country. Do some research.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That BS!!! You can enter a gay union, and enjoy all the benefits of marriage.
Procreation = Marriage
Non-Procreation = Union

Marriage is a sacred thing to religious people. You'll find that most divorces are by couples who are not religious, and predominantly unfaithful. Divorce rates among religion-minded people are quite low.
Divorce rates among heterosexuals are above 50%. Start working on fixing your own divorce records before you try to deny another group of Americans the right to marry.

Quote:
I was preempting your argument, because I know where you'll go. Like a broken record.
Take your own advice. Trying to deny Americans rights? Unconstitutional. Marriage was around long before the religious types grabbed a hold of it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
then don't make anti semetic laws.
We don't nor will we ever. Stop trying deny other Americans rights guaranteed to them by the US Constitution.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
it's completely illogical for someone who has no religion to claim to do something based on religion
Civil marriage isn't based on religion.

Get that through your head.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
in order to claim freedom of religion you need to have a religion. (I know what the court said and I don't care)
You need to be reminded, it is freedom of religion and freedom from religion. Religion is not mandatory to have those freedoms. That is why our nation is secular and not theocratic and our federally recognized marriages are secular too. Freedom of and from religion, remember that.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Religion is no excuse for whatever behaviour is considered to be acceptable. And Religious people should have no more rights than non religious people. Discrimination and Prejudice is unacceptable whatever cloak of faux respectability and validity it uses.

Your beliefs are no more important, no more valid than mine (or lack of) .

I am all for everyone having the right to believe and worship as they see fit without any obstruction as long as it does not impinge upon other people's rights. Everyone should have the right to believe or not as their conscience dictates. Ie : An Atheist, Pagan, Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc... should have equal rights before the Law.

Religion is not a "get out of jail" free card nor is it to be used as an excuse to condone or justify whatever discrimination someone sees fit to impose.

You do not have the monopoly on being "right" any more than I do.

I would stand up for your rights to worship freely and without hindrance, of living without prejudice and discrimination and I will do the same for anyone else including Gay people ( many by the way being religious....).

Jewish people have had a pretty rough ride throughout history so I would expect them to understand exactly what it feels like to be ostractised, reviled, alienated and persecuted for centuries.

And to show a little more empathy and humanity towards those who are likewise excluded and treated as outsiders by so many people.

The Nazis picked on both Jewish people and Homosexuals among others and had there been six million openly Gay Gay people in Germany, six million Gay people would have also found their way to the horror chambers of Auschwitz or Belsen.

You let discrimination slide and all of a sudden it becomes a popular movement with the atrocities of the Holocaust as a result. I would personally rather avoid a repeat of one of history's most shameful and most vile event.

Anti-Semitism (not semetism by the way) is wrong. So is Homophobia . So is Xenophobia, Misogyny, Sexism, Fattism, Racism, Misandry, and other kinds of stupid hatred and discrimination.

It's ain't big, it ain't clever but it is a dangerous path to follow. Because let's face it all of us have the potential to become the target of fanatic extremists who believe themselves the harbinger of universal truth.

And the Judaism I know from friends does not seem to have problems with Homosexuality...
Very well said, but I get the idea that NY jew will not get it. He has too much entrenched hate for gays to even have compassion or understanding. Hate in itself is evil and self distructive.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not. never was. what is a threat is the 67% failure rate of marraige 79% second go around.
marriage and family is in trouble. dont blame it on the gays. own your own stuff.
women and men need to own their responsibility for bulging prison population high marriage failure and lousy work and school performance. gays did none of this.
^^^^
Win post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies