Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I absolutely do not feel safer knowing people around me may be armed"

And some anti-gunners call those that own or support the 2nd Amendment paranoid!
And I think you yourself would feel less safe, not more, if you noticed that the person standing next to you in the subway, or at a store, or God forbid a bar, had a gun in their pocket. Unless you're at a shooting range, or out hunting, if you see a civilian with a gun out in public, most people would feel a twinge of fear, not reassurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And I think you yourself would feel less safe, not more, if you noticed that the person standing next to you in the subway, or at a store, or God forbid a bar, had a gun in their pocket. Unless you're at a shooting range, or out hunting, if you see a civilian with a gun out in public, most people would feel a twinge of fear, not reassurance.
Why is that? People who have a ccw are 5 times less likely to commit crime.

Licensees were 5.7 times less likely to be arrested for violent offenses than the general public - 127 per 100,000 population versus 730 per 100,000.
Licensees were 14 times less likely to be arrested for nonviolent offenses than the general public - 386 per 100,000 population versus 5,212 per 100,000.
Further, the general public is 1.4 times more likely to be arrested for murder than licensees [ see Figure I ], and no licensee had been arrested for negligent manslaughter.
Texas Concealed Handgun Carriers:Law-abiding Public Benefactors | NCPA

Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
I usually feel curiosity. I want to know what he (or she) is carrying. I usually strike up a conversation about it.

I saw a guy on Saturday riding a motorcycle (sport bike) and carrying. As he zipped by, his shirt was blowing up and his handgun was clearly visible on his right hip. Had I been able to pass him, I would have given him the "thumbs up".

Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 3,514 times
As I have said before. If you don't like my ideas on how to help solve the mental health issues and gun ownership, then offer up a different solution. Bashing my solution is not helping solve the problem. Basically. How would you fix it?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Besides there are too many hotheads with guns, so it's far more likely that I'll have a gun turned on me by a "good guy" because I'm wearing a hoodie and walking through his neighborhood, or because he doesn't like the way I looked at him in a bar.
The "good guys" (ccp holders) are about 13 times more law abiding than the general population.

Statistically, you're safer around them, hoplophobia aside.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Unlike you, who probably lives in mommy's basement, I have been around the world, and I don't fear every shadow.

If you are THAT afraid, I suggest you stay home.

Do you fear every car that is approaching you on the road? You should since cars cause MORE deaths then guns.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM

255 posts, read 219,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Most cops cant shoot for sh*#t, yet you feel safer with them being armed?

LOL
Not only do they only achieve 25%-35% accuracy, when was the last time you saw a civilian legally carrying a firearm, on a power trip?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Unlike you, who probably lives in mommy's basement, I have been around the world, and I don't fear every shadow.

If you are THAT afraid, I suggest you stay home.

Do you fear every car that is approaching you on the road? You should since cars cause MORE deaths then guns.
Way to misrepresent what I said.

No, I'm not fearful, that's why I don't feel compelled to own or carry a gun. I don't have this paranoid fear of intruders in the middle of the night, and home invasions, or the delusional fantasy that I'm going to need to defend myself with a gun against a tyrannical government in this day and age---that so many of you gun-owners have.

Last edited by ellemint; 04-10-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM

255 posts, read 219,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I would feel safer if there were no guns at all around me period. But thats not going to happen.
I'd feel safer if people didn't use their phones while driving, but that's not going to happen. Just because someone has a concealed carry license doesn't mean they are itching to use it and they are a bomb waiting to go off. I carry my pistol hoping I don't have to use it, because when I'm wearing it I have my family with me. But, should something happen, I rely on the adage "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Or perhaps it's better all around to run away screaming with my tail between my legs hoping to God that someone called the police and that they get there before too many people die.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
Meh...i'm not convinced.

I'm neither here nor there. I don't feel more safe, nor do i feel less safe. I just feel...bleh! *shoulder shrug*

Pack your gun because you want to, but you don't have to try to convince us of anything. It's your right to carry...do your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies