Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Liberals have tossed aside everything regarding the environment. Their goal now is very massive and unlimited immigration. Forget the national forests and wetlands, forget the spotted owl. The open borders agenda is only about bringing in many millions of people and having what's left of the taxpayers pay for the high birth rates.
As a liberal, this is news to me. Where is your source for quoting what liberal goals are? I was just on the phone getting my orders from Comrade George Soros and Comrade Michael Moore and they didn't mention this new goal.

I guess I shouldn't have written that check yesterday to the Sierra Club.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Missouri-City-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Cedar-Hill-Texas.html

Both are communities that are majority-minority. Missouri City,TX is 41% Black, Cedar Hill is around 50% Black. Both cities have household incomes above $60,000 per year, and both have crime indexes below the national average.

This shows that a community can have minorities as the majority, and be a decent place to live. People who pointed out Gary and Detroit obviously didn't consider that economics plays a larger part.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, these cities are products of severe economic downturns and other social issues. And consider this. You have areas of Appalachia that are very poor, about as poor as the cities you mentioned.
If I want to cherry pick examples, I could choose San Jose, CA as an example of what a minority area is like..

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

This shows that a community can have minorities as the majority, and be a decent place to live. People who pointed out Gary and Detroit obviously didn't consider that economics plays a larger part.
NYC has neighborhoods that are 85-90% black and a median income of around $70,000 / year*. But the schools are worse than usual considering the income of the community and so is the violent crime rate [partly because the police precinct also includes poorer communities]. Still safe neighborhoods.

*Yep, that's white flight.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If I want to cherry pick examples, I could choose San Jose, CA as an example of what a minority area is like..
I picked those examples because there were people claiming that America would look like Detroit. I picked Missouri City and Cedar Hill because when those were the first two I thought of. Communities that are affluent, majority-minority, and low-crime. I had not thought of San Jose until now.

People often say things, but they don't take into consideration other factors. It is like the number one thing people are fixated on is race.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
NYC has neighborhoods that are 85-90% black and a median income of around $70,000 / year*. But the schools are worse than usual considering the income of the community and so is the violent crime rate [partly because the police precinct also includes poorer communities]. Still safe neighborhoods.

*Yep, that's white flight.
But what I picked wasn't NYC. My point is that majority-minority areas, and those with large Black populations don't have to be "the bad part of town". With NYC, and with parts of Prince Georges County,MD, the problem is that some affluent, predominantly Black areas are sitting next to the poorest predominantly Black areas. I see this in the Atlanta area. Cascade Heights is an affluent, predominantly Black area. However, it is surrounded by poor areas.

With Missouri City and Cedar Park, these areas have low crime rates. That was the point. It was my rebuttal to someone who say America would look like Gary or Detroit.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
But what I picked wasn't NYC. My point is that majority-minority areas, and those with large Black populations don't have to be "the bad part of town". With NYC, and with parts of Prince Georges County,MD, the problem is that some affluent, predominantly Black areas are sitting next to the poorest predominantly Black areas. I see this in the Atlanta area. Cascade Heights is an affluent, predominantly Black area. However, it is surrounded by poor areas.

With Missouri City and Cedar Park, these areas have low crime rates. That was the point. It was my rebuttal to someone who say America would look like Gary or Detroit.
I know. I was giving an additional example.

As to being next to a poor black area being responsible for some of its issues, that makes sense. I didn't think of that.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I picked those examples because there were people claiming that America would look like Detroit. I picked Missouri City and Cedar Hill because when those were the first two I thought of. Communities that are affluent, majority-minority, and low-crime. I had not thought of San Jose until now.
Yea, I thought San Jose was another good example (28% non-hispanic white and then 30% hispanic and 30% asian). I'm agreeing with you, just adding more examples.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yea, I thought San Jose was another good example (28% non-hispanic white and then 30% hispanic and 30% asian). I'm agreeing with you, just adding more examples.
And they aren't the only ones either. Unfortunately, Gary, Detroit, and East St. Louis get the most attention. Unfortunately, the rule of media goes as follows: If it bleeds, it leads.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I know. I was giving an additional example.

As to being next to a poor black area being responsible for some of its issues, that makes sense. I didn't think of that.
It is the spillover effect. PG County, Maryland borders the worst parts of Washington,DC. Because of this, you have a spillover of crime into the south parts of Prince George's County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies