Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of whites becoming a Minority in America?
I don't want it to have a negative affect on America 5 8.62%
As long as the core principals of America is believe in we might be ok. 9 15.52%
Do you think it can be stopped? 7 12.07%
I think it will result in a less free, less prosperous nation 9 15.52%
I think it will result in a failing state like South Africa 8 13.79%
I think It will end in conflict 8 13.79%
I think it will end the American Culture as we have know it 14 24.14%
Other, explain 10 17.24%
Skin color does not matter culture and ideology does. 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And there is something else I have to add. Statistically, the biggest beneficiary of affirmative action is the White female.
I worked for a company that had a female owner, Her husband said they did that so they could get points on government contracts.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
And there is something else I have to add. Statistically, the biggest beneficiary of affirmative action is the White female.
Well all you are doing is saying there IS racial differences in people.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Well all you are doing is saying there IS racial differences in people.
No. What I'm saying is that you don't know how affirmative action works. If it worked, there would be fewer unemployed Black people.

Ask yourself this. There are more college educated Blacks than ever before. However, the rate of unemployment for young college educated Blacks is as high as the unemployment rate for young Whites with only a high school education.

And another thing to consider. 50% of White and Asian STEM graduates get jobs related to the STEM industry. However, only 30% of Blacks who graduate with STEM degrees get jobs in the STEM industry. Really think about that.

One might say that until affirmative action is abolished, Black candidates would not be trusted. How come this isn't applying to White females, who benefit from affirmative action the most?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I read something many years back about how AA helps the top end Black people the most; they'd still do well without it so long as Jim Crow is dead.

There's NO AA in basketball; either you hit the basket or you don't and the NBA is mostly Black in 2013. If Black people can do well playing ball; more Black people can do well in other areas.
With basketball, it is objective. In other fields, there are alot more factors taking place.

I'm not saying there aren't Blacks doing well in other fields or that they can't. I'm sure they can. What I'm saying is that there is still discrimination taking place.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 274,079 times
Quote:
I picked those examples because there were people claiming that America would look like Detroit. I picked Missouri City and Cedar Hill because when those were the first two I thought of. Communities that are affluent, majority-minority, and low-crime. I had not thought of San Jose until now.

People often say things, but they don't take into consideration other factors. It is like the number one thing people are fixated on is race.
A lot of these places reap the economic benefits of surrounding areas though and the improved policing. I think a minority majority US, if it continues at this rate, is destined for disaster. The poverty rate among minorities isn't really shrinking and education continues to worsen. Can anybody honestly sit here and say that at the rate we allow 3rd world immigration, we are destined to prosper? Christ, just look at us. We are on a sinking ship. Detroit just had its highest murder rate since 1993 last year and may even hit 400 murders with 700,000 people this year. Those are literally 3rd world stats. Crime hasn't really risen yet across the US yet as the recession is still working its way but it's not dropping as dramatically as it did in the mid to late 90s. Some police departments are basically just starting to shrink now. Detroit PD shrunk and now they have an average response time of 24 minutes and like I said are hitting homicides not seen since the early 90s. They are bankrupt. Chicago is about to close 80+ schools. If Chicago starts cutting back on police like Detroit, crime will rise. Just look what they did these past two months. Chicago started 2013 with 43 homicides in January, its highest since 2002, and a continuation from a bloody 2012. In the beginning of February they added 200 police officers from desk duty to the streets and additional officers for overtime and only had 14 murders in February and 17 in March. They have 4 so far in April. But even the city said at this rate they are going to surpass their entire overtime budget by fall so how long this can continue is unknown. So obviously police are playing the big role in the decreasing crime and once they start to shrink I think we're going to definitely see some changes in crime rates and we'd be lying to ourselves if we said demographics don't play a role as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
A lot of these places reap the economic benefits of surrounding areas though and the improved policing. I think a minority majority US, if it continues at this rate, is destined for disaster. The poverty rate among minorities isn't really shrinking and education continues to worsen. Can anybody honestly sit here and say that at the rate we allow 3rd world immigration, we are destined to prosper? Christ, just look at us. We are on a sinking ship. Detroit just had its highest murder rate since 1993 last year and may even hit 400 murders with 700,000 people this year. Those are literally 3rd world stats. Crime hasn't really risen yet across the US yet as the recession is still working its way but it's not dropping as dramatically as it did in the mid to late 90s. Some police departments are basically just starting to shrink now. Detroit PD shrunk and now they have an average response time of 24 minutes and like I said are hitting homicides not seen since the early 90s. They are bankrupt. Chicago is about to close 80+ schools. If Chicago starts cutting back on police like Detroit, crime will rise. Just look what they did these past two months. Chicago started 2013 with 43 homicides in January, its highest since 2002, and a continuation from a bloody 2012. In the beginning of February they added 200 police officers from desk duty to the streets and additional officers for overtime and only had 14 murders in February and 17 in March. They have 4 so far in April. But even the city said at this rate they are going to surpass their entire overtime budget by fall so how long this can continue is unknown. So obviously police are playing the big role in the decreasing crime and once they start to shrink I think we're going to definitely see some changes in crime rates and we'd be lying to ourselves if we said demographics don't play a role as well.
I just posted examples of majority-minority areas that are doing well, and don't have the crime issues that Detroit, Chicago, and other places have. Blacks might be poorer, but the communities I showed you have Black populations that are wealthier and better educated. My argument is that lack of education, breakdown in families, broken homes, drugs, and poverty play much bigger roles than race itself.

Chicago has a gang problem. Chicago has a drug problem. Missouri City and Cedar Hill don't have such issues.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
No. What I'm saying is that you don't know how affirmative action works. If it worked, there would be fewer unemployed Black people.

Ask yourself this. There are more college educated Blacks than ever before. However, the rate of unemployment for young college educated Blacks is as high as the unemployment rate for young Whites with only a high school education.

And another thing to consider. 50% of White and Asian STEM graduates get jobs related to the STEM industry. However, only 30% of Blacks who graduate with STEM degrees get jobs in the STEM industry. Really think about that.

One might say that until affirmative action is abolished, Black candidates would not be trusted. How come this isn't applying to White females, who benefit from affirmative action the most?
You can't compare whites with HS diplomas to blacks since we number about what six times higher than blacks?

Any way we'll have to agree to disagree. All AA does is discriminate.

Leave it at that.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
You can't compare whites with HS diplomas to blacks since we number about what six times higher than blacks?

Any way we'll have to agree to disagree. All AA does is discriminate.

Leave it at that.
I wasn't talking about raw numbers, I was talking about PERCENTAGES.

If we are to leave the AA thing at that, fine. You should also understand that there is still discrimination in the work force.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM

200 posts, read 274,079 times
Quote:
I just posted examples of majority-minority areas that are doing well, and don't have the crime issues that Detroit, Chicago, and other places have. Blacks might be poorer, but the communities I showed you have Black populations that are wealthier and better educated. My argument is that lack of education, breakdown in families, broken homes, drugs, and poverty play much bigger roles than race itself.

Chicago has a gang problem. Chicago has a drug problem. Missouri City and Cedar Hill don't have such issues.
I agree that family plays a role but I do think race can play a part as well. Why is it that people acknowledge race when it comes to black peoples ability to run and everything like that and then deny it when it comes to issues they don't like. Race is after all an extended family related by tens of thousands of years of continental isolation. Genetics=DNA and DNA is what makes us us, it determines traits, general bone structure (the idea that black peoples bone structures enables them to run so well for example), even frontal lobe size therefore must from a scientific standpoint play a role in influencing behaviorial patterns.

MO City Texas is 42% black and abclocal seems to have a story titled "Missouri City police battle crime increase." http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ker&id=7673668

Not saying they're bad or dangerous but they are tiny little towns.

Last edited by lobsta; 04-06-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
I agree that family plays a role but I do think race can play a part as well. Why is it that people acknowledge race when it comes to black peoples ability to run and everything like that and then deny it when it comes to issues they don't like. Race is after all an extended family related by tens of thousands of years of continental isolation. Genetics=DNA and DNA is what makes us us, it determines traits, general bone structure (the idea that black peoples bone structures enables them to run so well for example), even frontal lobe size therefore must from a scientific standpoint play a role in influencing behaviorial patterns.

MO City Texas is 42% black and abclocal seems to have a story titled "Missouri City police battle crime increase." Missouri City police take proactive stance against recent increase in crime | abc13.com

Not saying they're bad or dangerous but they are tiny little towns.
//www.city-data.com/city/Missouri-City-Texas.html

Missouri City,TX: city-data crime index of 134.5, as of 2011. And no murders.

And you sound alot like the persons who wrote The Bell Curve. Well, after the Bell Curve was written, someone else came up with a book debunking the Bell Curve, called Debunking The Bell Curve.

And as for race, the differences between races range between 2-4%, so race could not have a factor.

Do Races Differ? Not Really, Genes Show - New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies