Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It is, when you don't understand the theology supporting it. We must remember: the Church is not here to please the world.
True! Good answer

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I heard he was the first non-european pope in 1000 years and yes he is half Italian, why so long to pick a pope from south america or elsewhere.
Well, it could be because Catholicism has only been in South America for 500 or so years.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Or the Superbowl
I would be happy with just a single Cardinal from Palo Alto(Stanford) winning the BCS Championship.

Not a fan of them, but I am a college football fan, and the Cardinal sure looks good.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It is, when you don't understand the theology supporting it. We must remember: the Church is not here to please the world.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
A friend of the poor and downtrodden? I wouldn't be so sure.

But the cardinals' choice risked running into immediate controversy over the new pope's role in Argentina's troubled history. In his book, El Silencio, a prominent Argentinian journalist alleged that he connived in the abduction of two Jesuit priests by the military junta in the so-called "dirty war". He denies the accusation.

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio selected as 266th pontiff and takes name Pope Francis | World news | The Guardian

Allegations surrounding his refusal to speak up for priests rounded up during Argentina's 1976-1983 military dictatorship have been described by his supporters as an "old slander".

More broadly, critics have also condemned his record of refusing to speak out during the brutal crackdown when some 13,000 to 30,000 people died or disappeared.

Pope Francis profile: who is Argentina's Jorge Mario Bergoglio? - Telegraph

Many Argentines remain angry over the church's acknowledged failure to openly confront a regime that was kidnapping and killing thousands of people as it sought to eliminate "subversive elements" in society. It's one reason why more than two-thirds of Argentines describe themselves as Catholic, but fewer than 10 percent regularly attend mass.

Under Bergoglio's leadership, Argentina's bishops issued a collective apology in October 2012 for the church's failures to protect its flock. But the statement blamed the era's violence in roughly equal measure on both the junta and its enemies.

Jorge Bergoglio: New Pope Francis I and Argentina's military junta -- Puppet Masters -- Sott.net
And this one:

The sins of the Argentinian church | Hugh O'Shaughnessy | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old slander??? Like the sex abuse scandals that go back to that same period? Good grief, these people need to take some responsibility. Here they want to the "faithful" to look to them for guidance on moral issues, and this is the example they set????

Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,270,098 times
"Give everything you have to the poor" is what the bible says, while they live in freaking palaces and are treated like royalty... But im sure that isnt meant to be taken literally, homosexuality however has to be taken literally... How delusional do you have to be to not see that this is all ridicilous.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
"Give everything you have to the poor" is what the bible says, while they live in freaking palaces and are treated like royalty... But im sure that isnt meant to be taken literally, homosexuality however has to be taken literally... How delusional do you have to be to not see that this is all ridicilous.
Cardinal O'Brien was forced to resign just a couple of weeks ago due to allegations of homosexuality and allegation of abuse of young priests. And he was one of the most strident voices in Scotland against homosexuality and same sex marriage.

The rank hypocrisy of this church will not change with this new Pope.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, it could be because Catholicism has only been in South America for 500 or so years.
Yes the Vatican moves very sloowly, I guess because he was only first generation Argentine, his parents emigrated from Italy.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes the Vatican moves very sloowly, I guess because he was only first generation Argentine, his parents emigrated from Italy.
This was one way to satisfy those that wanted an Italian pope for the church of Rome.. but at the same time throw a bone to the Americas which have large majority RC populations..

I'm not lining up to check out RC masses anytime soon..

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think the poster is taking umbrage at a corporate email network being used to laud the election of a religious figurehead. Many, many companies would, and have agreed, that is not appropriate usage of their corporate site account.

If you want to use your OWN personal email provider and send the message via your OWN PDA or notebook to other co-workers personal email accounts, that's hunky dory, but using a company site. NOPE, Nada, Norsiree!

In my past incarnation I'd have had that person in for a little chat about what may be a minor but nevertheless, a transgression.
What makes it a transgression at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies