Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM

552 posts, read 720,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Who cares? Sorry, I'm an atheist, I have no interest. And a coworker just sent a department wide email about it. I do believe that's inappropriate.
This thread is about the new Pope. If you want to talk about inappropriate, how about using a message board to tell us all about your work emails. That belongs in a chat room not here.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Is he going to utilize the pope-mobile or take the buss from now on?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Is he going to utilize the pope-mobile or take the buss from now on?
Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize without doing anything - why can't he be named the Pope?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It makes sense they would pick someone from the global south since that is increasingly where the center of the church will be as it continues its long slow decline in the highly developed world.
I don't trust them. The South has been saying for months now that it's winter not summer.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I wish the Pope could have been more open minded and accepting. More modern. Ok, I understand that he opposes abortion. However, he also strongly opposes gays and contraception. At his position, you have to change with time. At least that's how I feel. Being against contraception is just absurd.
He strongly opposes gays? Really?

I can see that he has beliefs that oppose the beliefs of homosexuals and their supporters. But, I'd expect that he'd follow that "men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies must be accepted with respect and compassion."

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Cardinal O'Brien was forced to resign just a couple of weeks ago due to allegations of homosexuality and allegation of abuse of young priests. And he was one of the most strident voices in Scotland against homosexuality and same sex marriage.

The rank hypocrisy of this church will not change with this new Pope.
That doesn't indicate any "rank hypocrisy" of the Church. That just indicates Cardinal O'Brien was a criminal. The Church is not responsible for the conduct of its priests. They are human beings with free will just like anyone else. Some of them will do bad things. What the Church is responsible for is covering it up when they do those bad things.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize without doing anything - why can't he be named the Pope?
Technically he could but a few things would have to happen before and after.

Before, he'd have to be elected and he'd have to accept. Popes are not "named" without their consent.

Since he apparently isn't Catholic he would have to be immediately ordained a bishop. One supposes that in order to be bishop he'd have to also immediately convert.

He'd also have to renounce his presidency due to something in the Constitution about accepting rank/titles from outside of the US.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I can not help but wonder...What will be dug up by the media concerning the new Pope's activities during Argentina's Dirty War. The Dirty War or Proceso was the period of military rule from 1976-1983 in which up to 30,000 were murdered or simply "disappeared." Supposedly, the Catholic Church in Argentina was not so much in opposition to the Military Regime. Did Pope Francis support the Military Regime, remain silent or speak out against the Generals ruling Argentina? I would like to see what comes to light!

As a young man Francis I grew up during the rule of Juan Peron and Dona Evita which wasn't a great time for the Church in Argentina. As for the sucession of military governments that followed, a lot church men and women simply disappeared. Are you familiar with the term "Flying Nuns".

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
I wish the Pope could have been more open minded and accepting. More modern. Ok, I understand that he opposes abortion. However, he also strongly opposes gays and contraception. At his position, you have to change with time. At least that's how I feel. Being against contraception is just absurd.
He can't change with time. He doesn't have the authority. The Pope governs the church but the Pope doesn't get to declare what the Church's beliefs are. He can't change doctrine. He can change the details of how the doctrine is followed, but not the doctrine itself.

He may personally believe that gay marriage is fine, that contraception is fine, or whatever. But he still has to work within the Church. He could de-emphasize opposition to contraception, but he can't change opposition to support. He's not an absolute ruler.

The Pope is considered to be infallible but that just means what he says is true. It doesn't mean he can say whatever he wants.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They should announce who it is shortly. I had to laugh--my very Catholic (and normally polished) mother in law called me to tell me, and her first comment was that it needs to be someone who will "kick butt and take names." There needs to be serious, deep changes in the politics of the church...
new Pope?

what is the point - why not just abolish the bastion of lies altogether?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies