Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Why does the name Sarah Palin come to mind? Let's see: daughter Bristol had a baby and was NEVER married. She went on to flaunt herself and became a sort-of "celebrity" appearing on "Dancing with the Stars" and then had a failed reality TV show. I'm sure she learned her lesson and has is a born again virgin. Son Tripp gets girlfriend pregnant, gets married and baby arrives 3 months later, gets divorced after 18 months of marriage.

Now, they don't get any more conservative than Sarah, do they??
Didn't Bristol shack up with another guy when she was in Arizona too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Meaning you like women as possessions as long as they do not have a mind if their own.
How is talking crudely and acting suggestively spell a "mind of your own"?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If they raped her (penis into vagina), I would agree. But they will be sex offenders for the rest of their lives, their futures are not so bright anymore.

I just came from South Padre and witnessed young kids doing all these things to both men and women passed out from drinking too much. Urinating, stripping and taking photos next to the passed out person, fondling genitalia, tea bagging, etc I doubt any of these spring breakers will go to jail. I doubt the men and women violated feel all that violated in this culture, it's just considered normal. I think a lot of people in this thread are not fully aware what young people do these days.
That's not the way the laws work here. I don't care where you're from and it doesn't matter. This is the US, and genital contact is sexual assault, so your opinion is worthless. For the record--I've been in Florida and Texas during spring break season, and although I agree there are a lot of drunk kids, I'm guessing you just made the rest up to try to make some kind of goofy point. I have a college aged son, and even he was surprised that something like this happened out in the open.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's not the way the laws work here. I don't care where you're from and it doesn't matter. This is the US, and genital contact is sexual assault, so your opinion is worthless. For the record--I've been in Florida and Texas during spring break season, and although I agree there are a lot of drunk kids, I'm guessing you just made the rest up to try to make some kind of goofy point.
I absolutely saw everything described above and more.

As to my opinion, it's worth just as much as yours. We were asked to give our opinions. My opinion is the judgement was fair given the circumstances.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Quote:
That's not the way the laws work here. I don't care where you're from and it doesn't matter. This is the US, and genital contact is sexual assault, so your opinion is worthless. For the record--I've been in Florida and Texas during spring break season, and although I agree there are a lot of drunk kids, I'm guessing you just made the rest up to try to make some kind of goofy point. I have a college aged son, and even he was surprised that something like this happened out in the open.
He should learn the law or he may find himself in court

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Believe me or ask my kids, I have the bar set quite a bit before rape at a drunken party. I am not some liberal wimpy parent whose only goal is to be viewed as the cool parent who understands the need for young children to drink together and stay out all night. They're told no drugs, no alcohol, no sex. That should cover getting drunk and raping their friends.

I'm not saying the boys should not be in prison -- they should be in prison for the rest of their lives, but so should all the parents involved because they all most definitely neglected these children, the idiot adults certainly provided the unsupervised house as well as the booze and money for drugs.
And again--there's a difference between what you tell them to do, and what they actually do. I'm not my kids best friend either--I'm their mom, and being cool isn't on my agenda. What people here are trying to tell you is that part of your job as a parent is to give your kids the tools to grow up to make good decisions on their own, because you're not going to be there to make them for them in a few short years. Not very many parents are going to give their kids permission to go to a drunken party. If you are completely confident that your children will never, EVER lie to you, then so be it. I know that mine are human beings, who I'm trying to teach to be good people. No matter what I say or do, they will make mistakes. That's part of learning and growing. I can only pray that the mistakes aren't huge, and they're not hurt in the process. This girl lied to her parents, and she made a mistake. That doesn't justify what happened to her.

I absolutely agree on holding the adults accountable if they allowed the party, or if they provided alcohol.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If they raped her (penis into vagina), I would agree. But they will be sex offenders for the rest of their lives, their futures are not so bright anymore.

I just came from South Padre and witnessed young kids doing all these things to both men and women passed out from drinking too much. Urinating, stripping and taking photos next to the passed out person, fondling genitalia, tea bagging, etc I doubt any of these spring breakers will go to jail. I doubt the men and women violated feel all that violated in this culture, it's just considered normal. I think a lot of people in this thread are not fully aware what young people do these days.
Who cares what people do in other countries? This is something that happened in the US. There is more than one way to "rape" a woman, and a man for that matter. Rape is penetration. She was penetrated regardless if it was by a penis, a finger, or an object.

Not only are you ignorant about women in general, you are clearly ignorant as to what constitutes rape/sexual assault

Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Who cares what people do in other countries? This is something that happened in the US. There is more than one way to "rape" a woman, and a man for that matter. Rape is penetration. She was penetrated regardless if it was by a penis, a finger, or an object.

Not only are you ignorant about women in general, you are clearly ignorant as to what constitutes rape.
I know it's illegal here, but I prefer to make a distinction between rape and sexual assault. IMO, fingering someone is sexual assault not rape. But anyways, it's not important to the discussion. My opinion is their sentences were fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
He should learn the law or he may find himself in court
and in prison.

1,733 posts, read 1,822,925 times
Quote:
Here's the part you can't seem to grasp though--what in the world makes you think she asked her parents to go to a party? What kid in the history of the universe ASKS their parents to go to a party where there's drinking involved? They say they're going to be one place, and then they go to another. For the record, my oldest is at a university on a full ride academic scholarship. My second, who graduates this year, is taking a year off before college to do community service work overseas. All of my children are polite, well behaved, and hard working. None of my kids have ever been in any kind of trouble, but I'm not silly and naive enough to believe that they haven't done things that I haven't found out about.
A lot of his notions about how adult-kid interaction looks from the adult side seems strange and theoretical.

Its all "my kids got taught this" and "my sons were told that". There doesn't seem to be any understanding of how kids grow up, that they sometimes misbehave, act out, sneak off to be with their friends etc. It seems like he thinks kids growing up, you can just tell them something, and thats them taught. Setting an example? Not neccessary, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They're told no drugs, no alcohol, no sex. That should cover getting drunk and raping their friends.
When you say stuff like "the rapists were unable to say no, too, because they were drunk" or that all liberal girls want to do a Clinton, or that its the parents fault, not the rapists -thats what your kids will learn from. You can say "I taught them" till you're blue in the face, but real kids have an unfortunate tendency to absorb and learn more from you than you are trying to teach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies