Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
Actually, only 9 liberal states and the District of Columbia voted in favor of gay marriage. Regardless of the liberal polling on this issue, society overwhelmingly is stating that we do not want gay marriage, otherwise the people in all, or even the majority of the states would be demanding it, and that is simply not the case.

Even a liberal state like CA doesn't want it, according to the votes.
California is about half Republican, in case you weren't aware - and Prop 8 was a joke, which was (I believe) deliberately confusing to the voters. Heck, even I almost voted the wrong way! Put it to a SIMPLE & CLEAR vote here again, and I would bet money it will pass.

Same-sex marriage: Field Poll finds California voters now strongly support gay marriage - San Jose Mercury News (according to this article, support in CA has risen from 48% to around 61% since 2008)

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
How in the world could you possibly know what half of straight couples do? Let me guess, the Washington Post and New York Times informed you via their "polling results."
It was a freakin' expression (as in not a scientific result), and I rarely even read those two sources... what part of "I'm a neutral Libertarian and research professional" did you miss?

But yes, probably MORE than half of straight couples engage in non-vaginal sex - so I was actually being conservative in that estimate. Common sense and living on this planet for 36 years tells me that, but I can find some sources if you'd like.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Actually, only 9 liberal states and the District of Columbia voted in favor of gay marriage.
That's actually more than I thought it was. And the best response to your statement is, "So far." This is how things change. Slow and gradual. But the thought matrix is undoubtedly changing.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Here's a link from the Kinsey Institute, and I remember seeing one on the CDC (or NIH?) too if this isn't good enough... a quick glance says I was right, a little more than half (even adjusted for homosexuals) of adults have engaged in non-vaginal sex acts.

http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/resou...ehaviorPIc.jpg

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Funny how liberal people want to use science when it pushes their agenda but ignore it when it doesn't fit with their narrative. Men and women are supposed to be with one another so they can procreate and perpetuate the species. Two men or two women cannot do that.
What's this obsession you have with procreation? As someone who chose not to have kids, I really resent you making all of life only about spreading the legs for the purpose of popping kids out. Something akin to that 19 kids and counting woman. What's her name again? She spreads her legs and pops them out. That's her life activity. That's one hell of a way to look at life dude.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM

353 posts, read 395,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
California is about half Republican, in case you weren't aware - and Prop 8 was a joke, which was (I believe) deliberately confusing to the voters. Heck, even I almost voted the wrong way! Put it to a SIMPLE & CLEAR vote here again, and I would bet money it will pass.

Same-sex marriage: Field Poll finds California voters now strongly support gay marriage - San Jose Mercury News (according to this article, support in CA has risen from 48% to around 61% since 2008)
I have a hard time believing that CA will vote in favor of Gay marriage, due to the very large Hispanic population which happens to be mostly Catholic.

Regardless of the polling results, when people get into the voting booth, they vote according to their beliefs, while when they answer polling questions, they are less likely to respond truthfully, especially if they believe they are being judged.

Last edited by Mary20852; 03-27-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM

353 posts, read 395,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
That's actually more than I thought it was. And the best response to your statement is, "So far." This is how things change. Slow and gradual. But the thought matrix is undoubtedly changing.
It's an artificial change though, because people are heavily influenced by the media, movies and other forms of entertainment. Notice that the media is heavily pushing gay marriage. Mostly all of the papers present the argument from one angle. They depict people as being behind the times, if you do not support it.

The papers however never discuss the larger implications of gay marriage for society. They frame the discussion as being grounded in the right to equal protection, without discussing whether the practice of homosexuality should be encouraged and promoted.

People who support gay marriage need to understand that it will not stop there. Recently I read that France is now grappling with how to change the school curriculum so that it's inclusive of homosexual lifestyles.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
How in the world could you possibly know what half of straight couples do? Let me guess, the Washington Post and New York Times informed you via their "polling results."
Those statistics actually come from the CDC.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Those statistics actually come from the CDC.

I also just realized she misquoted me, since I never said half of straight people do those things - I said they (non-vaginal sex acts) comprise half of what straight people do. Actually it's more than half, since oral and other types of sexual acts outnumber the one "traditional" form.

But yes, according to the CDC and Kinsey Institute, it seems around 55-60% of adults have engaged in these activities. So if we're basing marriage rights on that one aspect, most of us straight folks wouldn't be allowed to marry either! Lemme guess, now she's going to say the CDC is a liberal organization.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

I also just realized she misquoted me, since I never said half of straight people do those things - I said they (non-vaginal sex acts) comprise half of what straight people do. Actually it's more than half, since oral and other types of sexual acts outnumber the one "traditional" form.

But yes, according to the CDC and Kinsey Institute, it seems around 55-60% of adults have engaged in these activities. So if we're basing marriage rights on that one aspect, most of us straight folks wouldn't be allowed to marry either! Lemme guess, now she's going to say the CDC is a liberal organization.
I can't find the link at the moment, but I also just saw an article stating the most common behaviors involved in a same-sex relationship. Anal sex wasn't even in the top 3.

It drives me batty that everyone always equates gays with anal sex, as though that's all it means to be gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies