Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Is this young man 18? If not he cannot legally own the gun.

Considering the issues our schools have faced with regards to guns I think the school acted appropriately.

I don't think he should face criminal charges however as there was clearly no criminal intent.

The I forgot excuse doesn't work in airports and it shouldn't work at schools either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If you have a hunting license you can legally carry a shotgun at age 12. Even walk right down the street with it.
Does a hunting licence allow a minor to posses said gun without the supervision of an adult?

Does a hunting licence allow a child to be in possession of a rifle while not actively hunting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Does a hunting licence allow a minor to posses said gun without the supervision of an adult?

Does a hunting licence allow a child to be in possession of a rifle while not actively hunting?
A minor doesn't need to have a hunting license to "posess" a firearm, with or without an adult, unless specifically hunting. In some states, if you carry it afield, the presumption is that you are hunting, and a license is required. In others, for a child under a certain age, they do have to be accompanied by an adult when hunting. In New York, IIRC minors under 16 needed to be accompanied when hunting big game, and 14 for small game. IIRC in Idaho you can hunt alone at 14.

I don't know of any state laws that says a minor needs to be accompanied just to target shoot though.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM

252 posts, read 264,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"they let this kid off,". Have you ever heard of a reprimand? A 2 day suspension?

Why is it OK, and happens ALL the time, a crook is caught breaking MANY laws and the DA allows many of the charges to be Plea Bargained away?

The kid made an HONEST mistake. There was no INTENT to break the rules.

Why did the teacher in the SAME school, get different treatment?
Intent does not absolve one completely. Besides, youre out of your element. I think he should be given a slap on the wrist, which I have already said.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM

252 posts, read 264,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why are we arguing that personal property is personal property and its thus illegal to search them without probable cause? Maybe because if its wrong, its wrong..
That is exactly my point. We agree with each other. I am stating the reality of a cop doing it anyway, that is no assertion of right or wrong. I said they can search you with out a warrant on school property. Is that true?You said they cannot, is that true? Probable cause is a broad word, sir. You are arguing and nitpicking and never addressing the substance and you were wrong all along. I am sick of it.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
Intent does not absolve one completely. Besides, youre out of your element. I think he should be given a slap on the wrist, which I have already said.
I'd agree with that. Maybe an afternoon's detention or something similar. He did break the rule, but the punishment should be proportional to the crime, and to intent and any injury. There was no intent or injury involved. What kind of penalty is there if say a kid brings an asprin to school in a jacket pocket?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
A test of nerve for an Eagle Scout merit would have been for him to have done nothing.

He already committed the mistake, would time duration have made the mistake worse?

Trained obedience fouls common sense every time.

There are so many programs designed to destroy common sense, it's pathetic.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
What if a young man with a firearm in his trunk was able to save lives if an incident occurs? Why disarm the public so they are left even more vulnerable?
The more civilians legally armed, the safer everybody is. That's just a fact.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
A test of nerve for an Eagle Scout merit would have been for him to have done nothing.

He already committed the mistake, would time duration have made the mistake worse?

Too true. If he had done nothing, nobody would have known and none of this would have happened.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Sooo, it's okay to break a rule if nobody knows? There's the test of integrity. Doing the right thing when no one is watching. Very few do it. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post

Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Sooo, it's okay to break a rule if nobody knows? There's the test of integrity. Doing the right thing when no one is watching. Very few do it. What do you think?
I think doing the right thing will get you a felony.

True story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies