Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM

199 posts, read 161,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's funny since his mother was white and so that makes him just as much white as he is black.

I reckon you've never heard of the one drop rule, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
What Obama actually said:

Every one of you have a grandma or an uncle or a parent who’s told you that at some point in life, as an African American, you have to work twice as hard as anyone else if you want to get by. I think President Mays put it even better: He said, “Whatever you do, strive to do it so well that no man living and no man dead, and no man yet to be born can do it any better.”

Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
It is you who is making false statements and then providing evidence that your own statements are wrong. What else do you make up at will when trying to prove some point? Feel free to quit while you're behind.
I just proved to you that Black have higher unemployment rates than Whites, even when education levels are equal. I backed it up too.

Tell me something. If affirmative action was working, I would have a job by now.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:44 AM

62 posts, read 43,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just proved to you that Black have higher unemployment rates than Whites, even when education levels are equal. I backed it up too.

Tell me something. If affirmative action was working, I would have a job by now.
I think the U.S. should do away with affirmative action. What do you think?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud White Guy View Post
Why should we do away with it ?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
You don't know anything about BigDGeek. Can you prove that he's "living off of the government"? Calling him paranoid? Sounds like a way to dismiss anything he has to say, not to mention insulting someone.
Quote:
FYI, BigDGreek is a female.
Quote:
Sorry. Still, just the same, I didn't appreciate the way BigDGeek was insulted like that.
Quote:
No do I. She is a patriot.
Awww thanks y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I've found exactly the opposite over 30 years working for both government and Big Business. Had I or my spouse been born black, we'd have tens of millions in the bank and be retired long ago.

*snip*

It is beyond my comprehension why everyone continues to think blacks are discriminated against, since I've never seen anything but the exact opposite.
I think they are discriminated against because they are discriminated against. My experience does not mirror yours. I work in IT and we did not hire black applicants simply because they were black. We rarely even interviewed them because we just didn't get that many resumes from black applicants. We did make an offer to one once...when he was the best person for the job...but he turned us down.

I have a black friend with an MBA. It took her a year to find a new job. A year. Other people I knew with similar qualifications and experience found work in 4-6 weeks. I think this is probably because she had a black-sounding name on her resume and people wouldn't even give her a chance. I offered to be a reference for her and when someone actually called and asked me about her, they sounded surprised when I described her as one of the best I had ever worked with and any company that hired her would be very lucky to have her.

She eventually did find a new job, but it took her much much longer than it should have.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM

62 posts, read 43,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Why should we do away with it ?
It's reverse discrimination against whites. I believe only the best qualified people should achieve the jobs they apply for. Affirmative action only harms the most qualified and the businesses that allow it.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:

So you expect to get a job because you are black? Business acts responsibly when it hires the most qualified. To do this they look at many things, knowledge, experience, attitude and other important factors. There is nothing that can cause problems in running a business than an employee who thinks they are owed, who has an attitude problem thinking they deserve special treatment.

No one, white, black, yellow, red, is owed a job. Business is not a social group. As an employee you must realize that you are part of the team working toward one goal to serve that businesses customers well. You must realize that company has policies and requirements in order to survive and do well AND keep you employed. If you do not understand this you will not make for a good employee.

Last edited by eRayP; 05-21-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud White Guy View Post
Fine, if you can admit that discrimination against Blacks still exists, and agree that all discrimination should be eradicated immediately. My point is that despite have an education, Blacks still have higher unemployment rates than Whites. What do you think we should do about that to make Black unemployment rates lower?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
So you expect to get a job because you are black?
Actually, I was calling into account a very serious fallacy. The biggest beneficiary of affirmative action is White females.

I was demonstrating to you that affirmative action doesn't work, and that Blacks still get discriminated against.

And no, I did not expect to get the job simply for being Black. I was hoping that someone would hire me because I have the education. However, out of my cohort, I'm the only one unemployed. My point was to prove to you that if Blacks are "so privileged" we would have lower unemployment rates than we do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies