Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So today the pro-Morsi people staged a protest.
What happened ?

Why the army opened fire into the crowd, that's what happened.
First a coup and then shooting down protesters.
Someone told the army that the Islamists cannot get back into power there.

News from The Associated Press

Army troops opened fire Friday on protesters demanding the reinstatement of toppled President Mohammed Morsi, killing at least one, as supporters of the Islamist leader rallied across Egypt chanting "Down with military rule!"
Opened fire into a crowd and one person died? They are either lousy shooters or they had only one bullet. Did you see the video where the Muslim Brotherhood member was holding a grenade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Opened fire into a crowd and one person died? They are either lousy shooters or they had only one bullet. Did you see the video where the Muslim Brotherhood member was holding a grenade?
Was it a real grenade though ? The MSM is out to make Morsi and his followers the bad guys here.

But this was a military coup and that one death is what has been reported so far.
Morsi had a 4 year term and was elected by a majority last year.

The US will not acknowledge "military coup" and cut funds.
Congress is meeting. I guess they are all discussing how to re-interpret our laws so that the money can keep flowing.

Update: latest reports are up to 3 dead now. Remember the Army shut down the press yesterday..news will be sporatic at best.
BBC reports via twitter that the new interim President has dissolved Parliament.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 07-05-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM

593 posts, read 470,629 times
this is a good thing for Egypt. the goons of the Muslim Brotherhood were about inact Sharia Law and you would've start to see a lot of beheadings for non-compliance. and Egyptian people are Muslims but they are lax on Sharia Law and for good reason. It's too barbaric.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Was it a real grenade though ? The MSM is out to make Morsi and his followers the bad guys here.

But this was a military coup and that one death is what has been reported so far.

Congress is meeting. I guess they are all discussing how to re-interpret our laws so that the money can keep flowing.

Update: latest reports are up to 3 dead now. Remember the Army shut down the press yesterday..news will be sporatic at best.
BBC reports via twitter that the new interim President has dissolved Parliament.
Where are you getting your news???
The Press was not shut down yesterday - some of the TV & Radio stations run by the Islamists were blacked out to try and stop them for calling for a Jihad. I don't know if they are still closed or not.

The Main News outlet in Cairo has been reporting ..... Ahram

I'm also getting news from 2 other Arab translated news sites ..... news will be "sporadic" because there are protests and riots called by the Muslim Brothers all over Egypt. News is moving fast and may take time to catch up - keep in mind that the "real" news is reported in Arabic, we have to wait for translations for the most part. I've closely followed this part of the world since 2006 - including News media, bloggers and forums. Reuters and the French AFP do the best job - BBC has a Cairo office, but all the best stuff usually comes from the Arab news bureaus.

The Muslim Brotherhood has called for a "Day of Rage" all over Egypt today. Does anyone think that somebody is not going to get hurt (or even killed) with all the Muslim Brothers call for "blood in the streets"?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:

You keep repeating yourself.

I'm not an expert with grenades so I couldn't tell you, but odds are it was real. Probably provided by Obama seeing as he is arming the MB.

The Army shut down TV stations and cut off newspapers that were pro-Muslim Brotherhood. All the other stations are operating (they are not airing the MB protests), but you wouldn't know that because more than likely you don't get it on your cable.

MEDIA CRACKDOWN: Egyptian Authorities shut down newspaper and TV stations sympathetic to Morsi » RYOT News

Sometime back I came across a station (the women caught my attention) and asked my husband about it and he told me it was a station geared to the extremist MB and Salafi.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
this is a good thing for Egypt. the goons of the Muslim Brotherhood were about inact Sharia Law and you would've start to see a lot of beheadings for non-compliance. and Egyptian people are Muslims but they are lax on Sharia Law and for good reason. It's too barbaric.
Morsi was democratically elected for 4 years.
The people could have waited until the next election and voted him out.

That's what civilized people with laws do..follow them.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Where are you getting your news???
The Press was not shut down yesterday - some of the TV & Radio stations run by the Islamists were blacked out to try and stop them for calling for a Jihad. I don't know if they are still closed or not.

The Main News outlet in Cairo has been reporting ..... Ahram

I'm also getting news from 2 other Arab translated news sites ..... news will be "sporadic" because there are protests and riots called by the Muslim Brothers all over Egypt. News is moving fast and may take time to catch up - keep in mind that the "real" news is reported in Arabic, we have to wait for translations for the most part. I've closely followed this part of the world since 2006 - including News media, bloggers and forums. Reuters and the French AFP do the best job - BBC has a Cairo office, but all the best stuff usually comes from the Arab news bureaus.

The Muslim Brotherhood has called for a "Day of Rage" all over Egypt today. Does anyone think that somebody is not going to get hurt (or even killed) with all the Muslim Brothers call for "blood in the streets"?
The BBC site and their twitter site is where I read it.
Al Jazeera is also posting bits and pieces.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
I gather you have little or no knowledge about Sharia law.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Let's see, considering the damage Moris has done to the country in the one year he was in office, should the people really wait three years while the bodies pile up, have innocent people sent to jail, poverty spread, unemployment climb, suppress women, so on and so forth, and Morsi using Tahrir Square for beheadings and stonings to vote him out of office? That really makes sense.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:

Morsi did go way beyond what he was constitutionally authorized to do as well. That's why his popularity plummeted so swiftly.

I'm not too bothered by the coup. I wouldn't have been too bothered if there had been no coup either, because who rules Egypt is a concern to Egyptians, not Americans (unless they are al-Qaeda.) But the people there will likely have more day-to-day freedom under the generals than under the civilian religionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies