Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..I guess you are a pro coup supporter. Or maybe you side with the Dems who are trying to define what a coup really is and whether or not that is what happened in Egypt cause we wouldn't want to cut off their money, now would we ?

The country is not ready for democracy.
A petition and some polls swayed the army into a coup ?
That's your opinion. There are over 22 million Egyptians who think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
That's your opinion. There are over 22 million Egyptians who think otherwise.
Every year they "think otherwise".
They have to learn that once they vote a guy into office they can't just protest and have the army depose them because they have buyers remorse.

They voted Mubarek into office didn't they ?
Then they changed their minds.
They voted Morsi into office didn't they ?

Maybe they should just change the Presidential term to 1 year because these people can't seem to take their choices longer than that these days.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
The world is not Utopia. Wake up to reality. The US is not the ultimate good guy.
Our bringing "democracy" to countries is a farce.
We don't care about people. We care about power.

Go and read some non US MSM stories about how Egyptians really feel about the US.
Hilarious -- you've spent the entire thread telling the Egyptians what to do because it's what you think they should do, because, you know, it's the Amurikan way!!!!! (including the post directly above this) ... then you turn around in this post and take a completely different position.

I'd like to think it's because the bigotry and condescension in your previous posts embarrassed you, but I don't want to be overly optimistic.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Every year they "think otherwise".
They have to learn that once they vote a guy into office they can't just protest and have the army depose them because they have buyers remorse.

They voted Mubarek into office didn't they ?
They voted Morsi into office didn't they ?

Maybe they should just change the Presidential term to 1 year because these people can't seem to take their choices longer than that these days.
That learning experience is part of becoming a democracy. They had no experience where democracy is concerned and more importantly, no guidance. Once again, you think becoming a democracy comes with a handbook and a time frame. Would that also include a magic wand?

Was Egypt a democracy when Mubarak was voted in? It took 30 years for the Egyptians to, as you stated, "change their mind". Do you think Mubarak owning the military and police may have been a factor in holding his position for 30 years? Didn't the army support Mubarak when he was overthrown? The army lost it's power (and more) when Morsi stepped in.

You would think with all the posts and threads you would have learned something, but you haven't. You need to stop embarrassing yourself.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
That learning experience is part of becoming a democracy. They had no experience where democracy is concerned and more importantly, no guidance. Once again, you think becoming a democracy comes with a handbook and a time frame. Would that also include a magic wand?

Was Egypt a democracy when Mubarak was voted in? It took 30 years for the Egyptians to, as you stated, "change their mind". Do you think Mubarak owning the military and police may have been a factor in holding his position for 30 years? Didn't the army support Mubarak when he was overthrown? The army lost it's power (and more) when Morsi stepped in.

You need to stop embarrassing yourself.
The US owned Mubarek and the military. But Mubarek got cancer.
Morsi was not the US choice.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
I know what he did over that year. I also know that the US government kept their eyes closed, their mouth shut and continued to shovel money and debt forgiveness to them. The USG ignored what was going on until they couldn't anymore and now are trying to get on the other side of the fence.
If your point is that the U.S. should not determine who runs Egypt, I completely agree. But you seem--clarify if I have it wrong--to be arraigning the U.S. for respecting Morsi as their legitimate President and arraigning Egyptians for ceasing to do so. That seems to me to have it totally backwards.

WE should do business with whoever is there (as we have): Sadat, Mubarak, Suleyman, Morsi, Mansour, el-Baradei, whoever, other than AQ. The precise balance between the public, the army and the state in Egypt is not of great significance to us, but it is a major proper concern to Gen. Al-Sisi and his friends.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The US owned Mubarek and the military. But Mubarek got cancer.
Morsi was not the US choice.
Good grief. You are hopeless beyond belief.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Maybe this Egyptian revolution will be more like the French Revolution than the American one. The French Revolution did eventually succeed.....er...um... I guess a moderate success.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If your point is that the U.S. should not determine who runs Egypt, I completely agree. But you seem--clarify if I have it wrong--to be arraigning the U.S. for respecting Morsi as their legitimate President and arraigning Egyptians for ceasing to do so. That seems to me to have it totally backwards.

WE should do business with whoever is there. The precise balance between the public, the army and the state in Egypt is not of great significance to us, but it is a major proper concern to Gen. Al-Sisi and his friends.
No, I'm not pro-Morsi nor pro-Brotherhood.

The politics at play over who will rule Egypt is being fought above the people by outsiders.
In the end the people will be the losers. They always are.

The US owns the army. The US backed the Brotherhood. The US was cautious on Morsi and ignored the inhumanities that Morsi allowed..we could have cut funding.

The Ambassador in Egypt was a very vocal supporter of Morsi and the Embassy was evacuated when the military threw out Morsi.

I just don't think the elections in Egypt are above board and truly by the people.
I think there's heavy propaganda influencing them.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

WE should do business with whoever is there. The precise balance between the public, the army and the state in Egypt is not of great significance to us, but it is a major proper concern to Gen. Al-Sisi and his friends.
No, she thinks the US should find the right puppet to run Egypt the way the US wants Egypt to run because Egyptians are incapable of running their own country and incapable of being quick learners as to how to establish and implement democracy within six months. I don't think she realizes that she supports the MB. In spite of Morsi being a radical Islamist and his one year record, she believes he deserves to serve his term because he was democratically voted into office in spite of his undemocratic governing. It's the principle of democracy, not the actions of a radical Islamist that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies