Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yes, let's definitely judge other nations from atop our high horse there on the moral high ground, and do so by our own American standards. Especially if said nation has never in its entire history lived under anything but autocracies.

What are those silly brown people thinking, not doing things exactly as, oh, New Yorkers or Alabamans would do them?
Are you going to start calling people "global racists" now ?

When did skin color enter this picture ? This is Egypt here, not some US city where the race card is the first one pulled out.

Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You still don't get it and I don't think you ever will. How is it "obvious" that they don't want democracy. They want democracy, they just didn't want an un-democratic president. You refuse to educate yourself as to what he did to that country and the people in one year. You don't understand the power that he gave himself, the immunity he gave himself for his Presidential decisions.

You either know very little or refuse to get past your belief that Morsi should have remained in office because he was voted in through a democratic process and the people and country should suffer for the next three years to vote him out. The way he was going, when he was voted in that would have been the last time people voted.
They elected him. He won by majority vote. He's in office for 4 years.
They need to learn about democracy and voting.
A military coup is the way they change their minds ?
What happens when they don't like the next elected President after a year ?
Another coup ?

I know what he did over that year. I also know that the US government kept their eyes closed, their mouth shut and continued to shovel money and debt forgiveness to them. The USG ignored what was going on until they couldn't anymore and now are trying to get on the other side of the fence.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you going to start calling people "global racists" now ?

When did skin color enter this picture ? This is Egypt here, not some US city where the race card is the first one pulled out.

Grow up.
You're the one talking down to an entire nation and saying uneducated, condescending things about them. You're not even trying to hide it, and we can all recognize it when we see it. It's ugly. Period.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
They elected him. He won by majority vote. He's in office for 4 years.
They need to learn about democracy and voting.
A military coup is the way they change their minds ?
What happens when they don't like the next elected President after a year ?
Another coup ?
They NEED to do what works for them as they struggle toward democracy. They do not NEED to do any damn thing that HappyTexan, comfy in his armchair in the world's most successful democracy, dictates to them.

Get over yourself and stop behaving like the world's Ugliest American. I'm embarrassed to be breathing the same air as you.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You're the one talking down to an entire nation and saying uneducated, condescending things about them. You're not even trying to hide it, and we can all recognize it when we see it. It's ugly. Period.
Because true democracy needs to come from within.

Outside forces are in play with Egypt.
Just like the other ME countries.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
They NEED to do what works for them as they struggle toward democracy. They do not NEED to do any damn thing that HappyTexan, comfy in his armchair in the world's most successful democracy, dictates to them.

Get over yourself and stop behaving like the world's Ugliest American. I'm embarrassed to be breathing the same air as you.
The world is not Utopia. Wake up to reality. The US is not the ultimate good guy.
Our bringing "democracy" to countries is a farce.
We don't care about people. We care about power.

Go and read some non US MSM stories about how Egyptians really feel about the US.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Yes, I read your comment.

Al Jazeera was also the mouthpiece of Al Quaida back in the Bush administration.

Al Jazeera always seems to be the mouthpiece of the current "boogieman". Isn't that a funny coincidence ?

Al-Jazeera: Mouthpiece of al-Qaida? - World news - Terrorism | NBC News

I'll make up my own mind about Al Jazeera but won't only rely on only them for news.
They did call it right on Benghazi from the get go though.
You get your news from Al Jazeera International. Not the Arabic Al Jazeera as aired in the Middle East or Misr 25 which aired in Egypt. You don't have a damn clue as to what was going on in Egypt. I know a married couple, each of them hosts a talk show of their own and constantly discussed Morsi and what he was doing in Egypt. I also know the man who puts on a show that is similar to Jon Colbert where he made fun of Morsi. All three of them were threatened and harassed by the MB. The MB would cut the power so they couldn't broadcast. Their lights would be turned off during the show. The Middle East get more news about what was going on in Egypt than you got from Al Jazeera International. Arabic newspapers give even more information that never reaches the US.

This is NOT about Bush!!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Morsi was democratically elected for 4 years.
The people could have waited until the next election and voted him out.

That's what civilized people with laws do..follow them.
I agree - elections are held, there is a winner and if you don't like what they do you vote them out.
Sounds easy doesn't it. Here's the problem - the concept of "Democracy" in some of these countries is nothing like what we consider "Democracy". Mubarak and al-Assad would both claim they are "legitimate", Democratically elected Presidents .... that's not the case. These Dictator types consolidate their power (like Morsi), they put all their own people in charge of everything (like Morsi) they invalidate the Judiciary (like Morsi), they arrest and charge anyone who speaks against them (like Morsi) and they build a personal Security police system to control the country (Morsi has not been able to do this yet).
At the end of the day (or term) the citizens wind up with a One Vote, One Time (the first time) "Democracy". This is exactly what the people of Egypt fear - it's not an unusual thing in their part of the world. The Muslim Brothers and Morsi did a major over-reach instead of a slow steady progression like Erdogen in Turkey. They got slapped down when they refused to even listen to the problems of those who elected them.

I disagree with "the Street" tossing out a President that was (sorta) freely elected - BUT, I think they probably did the best thing. I believe it was only a matter of time until Hamas had trained MB fighters to serve as the new Security Police. Add to all that - what was the Army supposed to do when over 30 Million people go to the streets at one time after months of everyone (Military, US Ambassador, Opposition) trying to dialog with President Mursi? I think they had no choice or Egypt could go the way of Syria.

Mursi loses out on a 'historical moment' -- Al Arabiya news

Top Ten Mistakes that led to Mursi's Ouster -- Al Arabiya news

Egypt’s anti-Islamist uprising: How did it come to this? UK Globe & Mail

About al Jazeera - it's financed by the Emir of Qatar who is very pro-Islamist. Hamas has moved their headquarters to Qatar, al-J has supported a variety of al-Qaeda groups and is a strong Muslim Brotherhood supporter ..... that doesn't mean they don't have some good reporting, it just means they have a distinct viewpoint and it's good to keep it in mind. We may see a change in al-J, there is a brand new Emir and the word is that he may be moving closer to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The extreme moves by the Islamists (see Libya, Mali, Syira) are making the Gulf Emirs & Kings very nervous. A good test for the new Emir will be the situation in Egypt.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Al Jazeera is actually a pretty good secondary source.
Which station and where are they located?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You get your news from Al Jazeera International. Not the Arabic Al Jazeera as aired in the Middle East or Misr 25 which aired in Egypt. You don't have a damn clue as to what was going on in Egypt. I know a married couple, each of them hosts a talk show of their own and constantly discussed Morsi and what he was doing in Egypt. I also know the man who puts on a show that is similar to Jon Colbert where he made fun of Morsi. All three of them were threatened and harassed by the MB. The MB would cut the power so they couldn't broadcast. Their lights would be turned off during the show. The Middle East get more news about what was going on in Egypt than you got from Al Jazeera International. Arabic newspapers give even more information that never reaches the US.

This is NOT about Bush!!!!
I never said it was. I said that Al Jazeera becomes the mouthpiece of the boogieman.
The al-Quaida mouthpiece just happened to occur under Bush and I only post the link to back up my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies