Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The BBC site and their twitter site is where I read it.
Al Jazeera is also posting bits and pieces.
I guess you weren't paying attention when I posted about Al Jazeera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Let's see, considering the damage Moris has done to the country in the one year he was in office, should the people really wait three years while the bodies pile up, have innocent people sent to jail, poverty spread, unemployment climb, suppress women, so on and so forth, and Morsi using Tahrir Square for beheadings and stonings to vote him out of office? That really makes sense.
Well we have almost all the same here except the beheadings haven't started yet

Obviously the people of Egypt are not ready for democracy since they changed their minds after they voted. So let the power brokers put someone in charge that will do their bidding and throw enough crumbs to the people to keep them pacified.

Not like we haven't done that type of thing before.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I guess you weren't paying attention when I posted about Al Jazeera.
Yes, I read your comment.

Al Jazeera was also the mouthpiece of Al Quaida back in the Bush administration.

Al Jazeera always seems to be the mouthpiece of the current "boogieman". Isn't that a funny coincidence ?

Al-Jazeera: Mouthpiece of al-Qaida? - World news - Terrorism | NBC News

I'll make up my own mind about Al Jazeera but won't only rely on only them for news.
They did call it right on Benghazi from the get go though.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Yes, I read your comment.

Al Jazeera was also the mouthpiece of Al Quaida back in the Bush administration.

Al Jazeera always seems to be the mouthpiece of the current "boogieman". Isn't that a funny coincidence ?

Al-Jazeera: Mouthpiece of al-Qaida? - World news - Terrorism | NBC News

I'll make up my own mind about Al Jazeera but won't only rely on only them for news.
They did call it right on Benghazi from the get go though.
Al Jazeera is actually a pretty good secondary source.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Morsi was democratically elected for 4 years.
The people could have waited until the next election and voted him out.

That's what civilized people with laws do..follow them.
Yes, let's definitely judge other nations from atop our high horse there on the moral high ground, and do so by our own American standards. Especially if said nation has never in its entire history lived under anything but autocracies.

What are those silly brown people thinking, not doing things exactly as, oh, New Yorkers or Alabamans would do them?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:

Obviously the people of Egypt are not ready for democracy since they changed their minds after they voted. So let the power brokers put someone in charge that will do their bidding and throw enough crumbs to the people to keep them pacified.

You appear to have read not one word of the current coverage of events from people who actually understand, live in and/or report on the ME regularly.

Your continued supercilious, condescending tone is exactly the reason why most of the rest of the world hates Americans. Ooooo look, crazy Mooooozlims! Run for your lives!

Your bigotry is duly noted, and your further simplistic ramblings on an incredibly complex subject will be duly ignored.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
What's significant here is the push-back by people in the Middle East against fundamental Islamic governance, as noted by Thomas Friedman in his NYTimes article, including:

-- a rebellion of the secular, urbanized youth in Turkey against the Islamist Justice and Development Party there

-- Iranian voters elected a moderate leader and not a hard-line Islamist

-- in Tunisia voters forced the Islamist Ennahda party in Tunisia to compromise with two secular center-left parties in writing a broad-based constitution not overly tilted toward Shariah law

-- Libyans voted in a coalition led by a Western-educated political scientist instead of Islamist opponents

He concludes that in the Middle East "the more moderate, non-Islamist, political center has started to push back on Islamist parties."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/op...nted=all&_r=1&

Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Al Jazeera is actually a pretty good secondary source.
I always try to find a second site/article that corroborates the stories these days.
Objective news is dead and I figure it's up to me if I want the real news or be bamboozled by biased propaganda cherry picking stories of what is going on.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You appear to have read not one word of the current coverage of events from people who actually understand, live in and/or report on the ME regularly.

Your continued supercilious, condescending tone is exactly the reason why most of the rest of the world hates Americans. Ooooo look, crazy Mooooozlims! Run for your lives!

Your bigotry is duly noted, and your further simplistic ramblings on an incredibly complex subject will be duly ignored.
LOL..I guess you are a pro coup supporter. Or maybe you side with the Dems who are trying to define what a coup really is and whether or not that is what happened in Egypt cause we wouldn't want to cut off their money, now would we ?

The country is not ready for democracy.
A petition and some polls swayed the army into a coup ?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:

You still don't get it and I don't think you ever will. How is it "obvious" that they don't want democracy. They want democracy, they just didn't want an un-democratic president. You refuse to educate yourself as to what he did to that country and the people in one year. You don't understand the power that he gave himself, the immunity he gave himself for his Presidential decisions.

You either know very little or refuse to get past your belief that Morsi should have remained in office because he was voted in through a democratic process and the people and country should suffer for the next three years to vote him out. The way he was going, when he was voted in that would have been the last time people voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies