Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I heard this on the news and told my husband I thought the National Guard should be brought in to stop this type of terrorism from happening. These people are at war. The people in that neighborhood are living in a war zone and I bet they don't want to be.
Uhhhh, yeah. Nothing like tanks and soldiers to make you feel like you're not living in a war zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obviously, you do not live, work or entertain yourself in neighborhoods with substantial gang presence.

Take a stroll up, say Lotus Ave between Washington and West End some warm evening and come back and tell us about it.

Note: All the gang members wear cute stickers with smiley faces that say "Welcome to the hood. I represent the fill in the blank gang."
Don't forget "Ask me about today's specials!"

Quote:
I favor doing so.

Put some tanks on the streets. Sure beats giving them away to Egypt.
I agree with much of what you say, but I can tell you, since I live in one of the neighborhoods that's often being discussed, I do not want this. I don't want tanks rolling down my street, or soldiers on the corner. I live in Chicago, not Beirut. If the city would hire more cops and stop giving lenient sentences to violent offenders we'd see an immediate impact, and then we could focus on things like jobs and education, the real engines of cultural revitalization.

Quote:
A Community Organizer anywhere is going to wave a magic wand and put an end to gangs?

BTW, Obama's stint as a Community Organizer occurred during the 3 years between Columbia and Harvard. He focused on the people living in one housing project. He took the city to court to force them to remove asbestos from the apartments. This was almost 30 years ago, before he attended Harvard and earned a law degree.
When you say things like this, it makes it more difficult to marginalize the community organizer portion of his resume. I'm surprised none of the Obama haters didn't take this opportunity to extoll the virtues of asbestos. Unless, of course, they're going to stick with the narrative that having worked to protect the rights of poor people (aka the "parasites" or "entitlement class") was a bad thing. (I'm kinda hoping they do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its a gang problem, crack down and give more punishment to gang members.

Street gangs are basically terrorist groups and should be treated as such.
I fully agree with this. I know they are using RICO laws to go after gang leadership, which is a good step, but I say, why not use Homeland Security laws to infiltrate/prosecute them? I mean, if we can throw someone in GITMO indefinitely because we think they might be "affiliated with al-qaeda" then, hell, why can't we do the same for known gang members/leaders?

Quote:
Weeding other people's flower gardens in the ghetto is not an option.

Education is the only way out of the ghetto and third world countries.
I agree, but there are (surprisingly) some nice flower gardens in the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Or just ban black men from owning guns, since 90% of American gun deaths are caused by them.
Isn't that what Democrats in favor of gun control are already doing? It was a black man that finally had enough and sued the snot out of Chicago to get his right to own a gun. The Chicago politicians have done their best to make it appear as if they allow gun ownership, until you read the rules and the list of hoops one would have to jump through.

The poor will not be able to run the gauntlet. Might as well ban poor blacks from owning a weapon.

Of course, gang members are all running pacman style. Registration? We don't need no stink'in registrations!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I love how you say things can't be done to stop gang violence because it is illegal/unconstitutional but then want to violate the same bill of rights in the form of further gun control and it is OK.
Like what have I said about violating civil/constitutional rights?

Feel free to copy and paste it here with a quoted link.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Default I Highly Recommend This Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The answer is "how". Short of following alleged gang
members to their apartments, using unauthorized surveillance techniques, and
busting down doors, apprehending suspects, confiscation of firearms, etc.,
without violating constitutional rights. How?

#1 "gang members" don't have any Constitutional Right to own a firearm. Most of them are felons so that disqualifies them and confiscating their guns would not be a violation of the Constitution. Many of my fellow second amendment advocates oppose California's task force to confiscate guns from people who have been disqualified from owning them, I do not. Though the problems with enforcement without a registry would be hard to overcome. I also don't oppose "stop and frisk" once gang violence reaches and surpasses a certain threshold. The policy seems to be working in NYC.

Pacification through bringing the National Guard in to a city like Chicago for a limited period of time is a viable option as well. Similar measures are being taken in Rio De Janeiro's crime ridden Favelas in preparation for the World Cup in 2014 and the XXXI Olympic Summer Games in 2016 and things are very much improving there. If you want to see an excellent documentary on how this is taking place and working well, I highly recommend the one below, to spite it's Liberal undertones.

City of God, Guns & Gangs - Vanguard Documentary - YouTube

Quote:
I don't have the answer. I'm not sure anyone does, but I'm open to
suggestions. People, who have witnessed these crimes have a code of silence,
it's called fear.
After pacification, we could start improving the city by providing more opportunity for education and employment for those who are less fortunate so that turning to gangs becomes less appealing. Though, this is unlikely to happen anytime soon because the city has been ruled by Demcrats for who knows how long an shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-09-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
It went over the top a long time ago nobody can afford to obey our millions of laws anymore,look at obamacare the employers get a break while millions of people who owe nothing and paid cash pay a fine for not using an Obama approved third party who will steal your premiums as you will never meet the deductible anyway. Who the heck elected this IDIOT anyway the leeches?You want to see people break the law look at obamacare,except for all the union supporters and doners who got waivers. this Country is beyond saving want my fine come get it Obama thugs.and I spelled it with a small o but it would not and cant print it that way WOW.I'm in trouble now
I am not even considering to be on Obama care now or ever. 0 Tolerance to that BS. What are they gonna do if i don't?

I just love how it made people have only part time work, and lost any bennies, for those who voted for that fool. I wonder how that feels?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
WS, I just love how nothing can be done to city punks and gangs, but everything can be done to dis-arm the law abiding. These silly PC people have their pantie thongs on too tight.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am not even considering to be on Obama care now or ever. 0 Tolerance to that BS. What are they gonna do if i don't?
\?
Tax/fine the hell outa you. I was listening to the radio one day on my lunch break and they were talking about this. The guy said that his accountant informed him that as of next year, if he didn't have health insurance, X amount was what he was going to pay as a "fine" when he did his tax returns. It was something like $1,800. His accountant said that if in the following year he still was uninsured, that amount was going to double.

I don't know how true this is, but he said it happened.

I believe it because the IRS is supposed to be handling all of this.

Basically, the only way you aren't paying into the Obamacare machine, is if you either have a private insurer which will eventually be put out of business by Obamacare, have no income, or get paid under the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
WS, I just love how nothing can be done to city punks and gangs, but everything can be done to dis-arm the law abiding. These silly PC people have their pantie thongs on too tight.
They're lazy. They admit that taking care of the gang problem in this country would be very hard and complex, so the easier thing to do is just blame the gun. What kills me is that they admit it within their posts, either inadvertently or willfully, they admit it.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
What exactly would you suggest the president, any president, do to eliminate gang violence in inner cities?
For one thing it should be against the law to be a gang member.....not all President's have made their self to be "one of them", this President has. If he's going to speak on issues like the Trayvon Martin shooting than step up and speak to his people and ask for the violence to stop.

Yet President Obama, Sharpton & Jackson have said/done nothing! Don't give me this President is busy with world issues, his only interest is getting cozy with Jay-Z.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So then it sounds like gangs and gang violence are the real problem, right? Why don't people focus their efforts on curbing gang violence in cities rather than passing restriction on inanimate objects?
It would be to easy to make being a gang member a crime......for some reason this activity is like a job or just their lifestyle and we can't be telling people how to live.

Instead they'll blame all guns!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
For one thing it should be against the law to be a gang member.....not all President's have made their self to be "one of them", this President has. If he's going to speak on issues like the Trayvon Martin shooting than step up and speak to his people and ask for the violence to stop.

Yet President Obama, Sharpton & Jackson have said/done nothing! Don't give me this President is busy with world issues, his only interest is getting cozy with Jay-Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It would be to easy to make being a gang member a crime......for some reason this activity is like a job or just their lifestyle and we can't be telling people how to live.

Instead they'll blame all guns!
How exactly would you define what being a "gang member" is in order to make it unlawful? I could see some dangerous precedents being set with such legislation. For instance, are the groups of teenage boys who hang out in the park after school smoking cigarettes in their Leather jackets and looking intimidating considered a "gang"? If they pose no threat, should we make the act of their congregating illegal? What about the local motorcycle gang who ride together on Saturdays? Are they considered a "gang" and hence have "gang members"???

Making the sole act of being a "gang member" would pose far too many challengers to civil liberties. We could just say that any group of people who get together and commit crimes should be made illegal, but then again, I'm pretty sure it already is.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies