Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
The thing about it, is, what did Zimmerman plan to do with the "suspect" once he caught up with him?
Whatever his plan was, why didn't he exercise it at his truck?

I had a dog once that loved chasing cars.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Good question, since he never bothered to introduce himself as a NWA volunteer. Detain him, IMO.
Detain him how?

With polite words?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Root says close-range gunshot by GZ doesn't show ill-will, hatred, spite toward TM.

Root says it's best to take general statement from shooter early, then give delay before detailed statement.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
PJ Media » Disorder: Judge Recesses Zimmerman Trial, Excludes Damning Evidence

That would've been the definite dagger to the states already weak case.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hate to point this out...but that is what defense attorneys do. Their job is to use any legal tactic to get their client off. Regardless of that person's innocence or guilt. Just as it's the prosecution's job to use all of their skills within the framework of the law to achieve a conviction. At the trial state, sad as it is, right and wrong, actual guilt or innocence, really don't matter. It's about doing whatever it takes to win. And it's the judge's job to "referree" the show and make sure both sides play by the rules (law).
That's a good description of the process.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Detain him how?

With polite words?
Who said Zimmerman wanted to detain, or even question, Martin? Is there any evidence or testimony that contradicts the claim that he wanted to observe M so that the police, who were enroute, could question him?

I haven't seen anything that says Z even spoke until after "confronted" by Martin, per his girlfriend's statement. According to her (correct me if I'm wrong here) the first words uttered between them were by Martin.

I'm not saying that's the case, but what evidence indicates anything else?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hate to point this out...but that is what defense attorneys do. Their job is to use any legal tactic to get their client off. Regardless of that person's innocence or guilt. Just as it's the prosecution's job to use all of their skills within the framework of the law to achieve a conviction. At the trial state, sad as it is, right and wrong, actual guilt or innocence, really don't matter. It's about doing whatever it takes to win. And it's the judge's job to "referree" the show and make sure both sides play by the rules (law).
Yes, I understand that Zimmerman is entitled to the best defense possible. However, the animation and Root's testimony are largely based on Zimmerman's stories. It seems questionable that they have to rely on evidence that comes from a source that is purely self-serving. It reminds me of the days when a female could be raped, and if she brought charges against the offender she'd be subject to questions about how she usually dressed, how often did she have sex, etc. If your defense case is strong, it wouldn't be necessary to try to assassinate the character of the victim.

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Zimmerman was in NWA?
That made me laugh.

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thank you for being reasonable. This has been my point from the beginning. At work we had to take a class called bridges.
Bridge is down we can communicate. Bridge is up you have problems.
The class went on to give different scenarios most of which were not even realistic. But the point was made. Perceptions are everything.
GZ's perception was that TM was an e-fing punk and an a-hole. He behaved and approached the situation according to that perception.
TM noticed he was being followed. His perception was that GZ was a creepy white guy. He behaved accordingly.
Both behaved in a way that escalated the moment out of control. Neither used common sense. Neither really attempted to be civil.
This is what happens when idiots clash.
Excellent points you make today. If I might add, anyone in any neighborhood that sees someone they think looks out of place or suspicious? I don't personally think it's prudent to go over and introduce yourself and try to engage in smalltalk.

If I had seen TM that night, a darker and rainy night, I would have stayed in my vehicle and on the call. It's a big world out there, and an unpredictable one. Some unsuspecting neighborhood watch person some night, may do exactly what GZ did that night. Better to wait for law enforcement rather than test out how lucky you are that night. A crowbar in the face would suck, as would a bullet.

I just hope this incident doesn't make others that are also "fed up" any braver.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Good discussion of legal concealled carry right now. Particularly when it's OK to draw a gun, carry with a round in the chamber and how IWB holsters are common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies