Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i never saw questions.

im glad you agree with me that each kid deserves the same chance.

simple solution to this education crisis.

1. focus on the top performing schools. follow what they are doing and bring that model out to these poorer communities.

2. school vouchers for any low income family who is in a poor performing school district. free bus/transport to nearby top performing school.

3. student exchange for kids with absent parents. short jist of it would be troubled teen is mentored by host family in the community, possibly staying with them as well. host family would rub off on the kid over time and help the kid get straight. (i could see this being very successful among christian evangelicals)

three easy steps and i just solved the education problem.
Wait so now, not only do I have to pay for other people's kids, you want me to raise them as well?

This place gets stranger by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You're not being "excluded" when the reason you can't live in a certain area is because you can't afford it......

You left something out...when the reason I can't live in an area is because the reason I can't afford it is that government prevented a developer from building affordable housing, I certainly am being excluded.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i never saw questions.

im glad you agree with me that each kid deserves the same chance.

simple solution to this education crisis.

1. focus on the top performing schools. follow what they are doing and bring that model out to these poorer communities.

2. school vouchers for any low income family who is in a poor performing school district. free bus/transport to nearby top performing school.

3. student exchange for kids with absent parents. short jist of it would be troubled teen is mentored by host family in the community, possibly staying with them as well. host family would rub off on the kid over time and help the kid get straight. (i could see this being very successful among christian evangelicals)

three easy steps and i just solved the education problem.
Hey, don't get carried away. Each child deserves the same chance, but chit happens and a lot of them don't get it. The same way every child should have two parents, but most have one, many don't know where their father is who their father is except in name only. Their "mother" get's to call herself a mother - she doesn't get to call herself a parent.

1. I agree. Keep it in the poor communities. It will save them travel time.

2. Are you suggesting that middle class students should be bumped to make room for the disadvantaged? What do you have in mind - send them to the school in the poor district since it's going to be empty??

3. I'll take in a stray cat or dog before I take in someone else's teenaged kid who has problems. I'm not Sister Teresa.

I already financially support those in poverty. Now you think I should also educate and home the children in poverty??

You seem to have it all planned out as to just how the middle class should be helping the children of other people. I have a solution - don't have children that you can't be a parent to, can't afford to raise, don't have the time for, don't care if they get an education, get pregnant, get in trouble with the law, or use drugs. That would be a good place to start.

You didn't miss my questions, you ignored them. If you are being genuine go back and find them and answer them. You ask questions, you have solutions, people ask you a question to a post you put up, you fail to answer them.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The advantage I have living in a middle class/lower middle class neighborhood is earned by having a decent paying job. My wife also has a decent paying job. You see, we both have worked very hard to be able to live where we do, and it is nothing special, but you do not see my here comaining about others opportunities. Maybe people who do not like living in poor areas should change something in their lives so that they can move.

So when am I getting moved to a wealthy area so I can have all the advantages of wealthy people?

I'll be waiting diligently for a check from you to pay for a million dollar house in a 900+ API school district so I can have the same advantages.

I don't know how you can be so obtuse.

You seem to be saying that the ability of children to get a quality education is based on whether they win the parental earnings lottery. While winning that lottery properly entltles children to a superior education, it should not be required for obtaining a quality education.

What you're saying also suggests people with money are entitled to use government to exclude others who are not as good as you. That is properly an activity for the private sector.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Answer: Higher crime and lower property values

??? Scratching head...how do college-educated burger flippers cause higher crime and lower property values???

p.s. everything i've read suggests that college graduates have very low crime rates regardless of income.

"As expected, economic conditions had no effect on the criminal activity for the more highly educated workers in the sample."

[in a report claiming that declining wages for non-college-graduates increased crime rates]

Higher Crime Rate Linked To Low Wages And Unemployment, Study Finds

Last edited by freemkt; 07-25-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Wait so now, not only do I have to pay for other people's kids, you want me to raise them as well?

This place gets stranger by the day.
When all of these white liberals start sending their kids to crappy schools and taking in "troubled teens" (snicker) I'll start listening to their horse crap.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
So the government wants to control who lives in what neighborhood. I hope they consider character before salary. I would rather have poor people with character living next to me , more than some pervert living next to me or some drug dealer who had his customers coming or some drive by shooting happening .

Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure-

So living in a higher income neighborhood will change -

single parent familes?
drug use?
lack of emphasis on education?
culture of crime?

What this "initiative" will do is create "white flight" from the areas adjacent to HUD housing, depress housing values, depress local tax revenues, increase crime, and create "pocket ghettos" all around the nation. This "experiment" has been tried in the 1960s and failed, creating massive ghettos and "white flight". Further, loans to unqualified buyers (as previously, at the behest of liberals trying to social engineer) nearly destroyed the US economy!

Throwing a carp into a pristine waterway does not transform it into a brook trout.
I believe the middle class left Detroit and then the city became a festering ghetto.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
So the government wants to control who lives in what neighborhood. I hope they consider character before salary. I wouldn't mind having poor people with character living next to me , more than some pervert living next to me or some drug dealer who had his customers coming or some drive by shooting happening .

DING DING DING this is precisely what i have been trying to say. I have a dream, that one day, the ability of our children to live in decent, safe neighborhoods, will be based not on the content of their wallet, but on the content of their character,

Landlords mostly used to operate that way, but today, fair housing laws and greed drive most landlords to rent to the highest bidder.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Is there something I should be worried about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies