Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

25,843 posts, read 16,521,023 times

Advertisements

Bring us all down to the lowest common denominator I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The trend is scattered site housing for low income people. It's the absence of concentration of low income housing in a given geographical area that separates it from it's predecessors, the housing projects. When government money is used to build new multi unit rental housing a percentage of units typically would be set aside for low income dwellers. Low income includes senior housing. Seniors are the primary beneficiaries of Section 8 housing.
Hey, they could move all white people (and so-called "white Hispanics", "white Latinos" and any other re-designation their wordsmiths come up with) to Detroit and, thus, "Save Detroit" as O promised to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What? Is this now the function of the federal government???

“This proposed rule represents a 21st century approach to fair housing, a step forward to ensuring that every American is able to choose to live in a community they feel proud of – where they have a fair shot at reaching their full potential in life,” said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan.

so now we should use just our "race" to decide where we live. **** these fools.
Agenda 21, folks. We keep asking people to become familiar with it, but the left just keeps pooh-poohing and calling us crazy. It's being implemented. People should get to know the signs.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
HUD will then be forced to loan to certain folks in certain neighborhoods in order to be "fair" even if folks can't afford the home or not. The banks will of course gladly due it and securitize the loans and sell them over and over again to investors because when the payments aren't made the taxpayers will of course have to bail out the banks becuase the US government backs the loans. Where have we seen this all before? I know it's happened somewhere.
HUD doesn't loan money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The trend is scattered site housing for low income people. It's the absence of concentration of low income housing in a given geographical area that separates it from it's predecessors, the housing projects. When government money is used to build new multi unit rental housing a percentage of units typically would be set aside for low income dwellers. Low income includes senior housing. Seniors are the primary beneficiaries of Section 8 housing.
This is basically the gist of this proposal from HUD. I work in the housing industry and previously worked for a PHA. this rule is patterned after models of PHAs using public/private partnerships to redevelop public housing into mixed income communities. If anything, this trend is about getting people out of public housing and into "affordable" homes. Take it from an insider, if this is adopted by HUD it will make it more difficult for low income people to find actual affordable housing, which is a problem currently in my metro area. The city did away with family public housing communities and went with a mixed income model. Rents at the New places are more than low income people can afford who aren't either a PH or HCV (section 8) recipient. Both PH and HCV use in our city is down for families - I.e. single moms/low income families who aren't seniors or disabled (both of those populations are growing and do not contribute to the poor perception of PHAs). So those of you concerned about the ghetto people invading your neighborhood really have nothing to worry about. It is the poor families who may be in need of emergency housing assistance who should be afraid.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
HUD doesn't loan money.

This is basically the gist of this proposal from HUD. I work in the housing industry and previously worked for a PHA. this rule is patterned after models of PHAs using public/private partnerships to redevelop public housing into mixed income communities. If anything, this trend is about getting people out of public housing and into "affordable" homes. Take it from an insider, if this is adopted by HUD it will make it more difficult for low income people to find actual affordable housing, which is a problem currently in my metro area. The city did away with family public housing communities and went with a mixed income model. Rents at the New places are more than low income people can afford who aren't either a PH or HCV (section 8) recipient. Both PH and HCV use in our city is down for families - I.e. single moms/low income families who aren't seniors or disabled (both of those populations are growing and do not contribute to the poor perception of PHAs). So those of you concerned about the ghetto people invading your neighborhood really have nothing to worry about. It is the poor families who may be in need of emergency housing assistance who should be afraid.

As a low income, childless adult, I have found affordable housing very hard - and getting harder - to find. with PHA (at least in Portland) no help and HCV an elusive lottery difficult for any childless adult to 'win'.

What's up with that? There seems to be a lot of public housing and private Section 8 housing available to seniors and to families/single moms - and practically nothing for childless non-seniors.

What are childless adults expected to do for housing?

Last edited by freemkt; 07-26-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a low income, childless adult, I have found affordable housing very hard - and getting harder - to find. with PHA (at least in Portland) no help and HCV an elusive lottery difficult for any childless adult to 'win'.

What's up with that? There seems to be a lot of public housing and private Section 8 vouchers available to seniors and to families/single moms - and practically nothing for childless non-seniors.

What are childless adults expected to do for housing?
Either get a better job or have kids.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Do you realize that the 'quality' of jobs is going south in this country? there are more and more people competing for a shrinking pool of 'better' jobs.

This country sure does suck at dealing with downward mobility.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do you realize that the 'quality' of jobs is going south in this country? there are more and more people competing for a shrinking pool of 'better' jobs.

This country sure does suck at dealing with downward mobility.
I know job quality sucks, I'm dealing with the same thing where I am and I wish it was different.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The media is remiss in not covering the HUD/ Westchester county, NY takeover.

This should be and should have been front page news of another out of control three lettered federal agency.

please research this..... it is intended to be a model for the nation.... the feds are out of control and because it involves race, no one will touch it.......this sacred cow has carte blanche for the social justice dominated fedral agencies.

some questions:

Are financially-qualified members of racial and ethnic groups experiencing discrimination? Or is the disparate reality of lower incomes and greater poverty among some groups translating to a disparate impact in housing – is the discrimination being experienced by protected classes or only by unprotected (economic) classes?

Do communities have the power to guard against the perils of increased crime and other social costs, or do communities have to accept these perils in the name and bargain of diversity? I am a single white male hovering around the poverty line, and I certainly cannot afford to live in Westchester. Obviously, the housing discrimination I experience is based on my economic position, and not on the basis of any attribute which by law is protected.

Do all income-eligible households have equal opportunity to obtain a Housing Choice Voucher? Are there protected classes which experience an adverse disparate impact in the realm of obtaining HCV? If so, is HUD addressing this disparate impact?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Or get a roommate.

@ Freemkt: Being a single white male you may find better opportunities in another state if you have a good education. On the other hand, if you don't have a good education, or hold a degree in some obscure field or where opportunities are extremely limited, you aren't going to have much success anywhere you go, which is the case for millions of people. If you feel that the government should make concessions for you, then it would apply to those millions of men and women in the same situation. How feasible is that? Could the government afford it? Would taxpayers be made to pay higher taxes to cover the costs?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Or get a roommate.

@ Freemkt: Being a single white male you may find better opportunities in another state if you have a good education. On the other hand, if you don't have a good education, or hold a degree in some obscure field or where opportunities are extremely limited, you aren't going to have much success anywhere you go, which is the case for millions of people. If you feel that the government should make concessions for you, then it would apply to those millions of men and women in the same situation. How feasible is that? Could the government afford it? Would taxpayers be made to pay higher taxes to cover the costs?

No concessions needed, government should just get out of the way and stop making housing unaffordable and stop trying to socially engineer neighborhoods.

HUD is requiring Westchester to build 750 units of affordable housing, presumably these will all be Section 8 units. The vast majority of Section 8 voucher holders are women - clearly a disparate impact. So where is the compensating program for men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies