Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Take that circumstance out of the equation, would you have qualified?

Probably, because I had only a part-time after-school job and my relative did the financial aid paperwork, he claimed me as a dependent because my father had, um, legal problems and was living underground at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are credit scores valid when - as is often the case - they are based on incorrect, outdated, or even 'gamed' content? e.g. there are firms which, for a fee, will rescore your credit report to get you a more favorable outcome; even mortgage brokers do this.

I have had zero credit events in the past ten years, but old derogs are still on my report because debt scavengers buy and re-age my accounts. How valid is my credit score?
That is illegal and a FCRA violation.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/031224fcra.pdf

Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That is illegal and a FCRA violation.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/031224fcra.pdf

And I suppose I should have them removed as outdated...except that I have an old judgment (all accounts imploded when income disappeared) and removing the re-aged accounts would update my address, which would in turn lead the judgment holder to pursue collection, which in turn would impair my ability to pay rent and other current bills. While the judgment is more than seven years old, it is my understanding that it remains enforceable until paid.

I'm unwilling to do anything that might impair my ability to pay rent and other current bills.

Now what should I do?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
And I suppose I should have them removed as outdated...except that I have an old judgment (all accounts imploded when income disappeared) and removing the re-aged accounts would update my address, which would in turn lead the judgment holder to pursue collection, which in turn would impair my ability to pay rent and other current bills. While the judgment is more than seven years old, it is my understanding that it remains enforceable until paid.

I'm unwilling to do anything that might impair my ability to pay rent and other current bills.

Now what should I do?
I'm almost positive that you can challenge the validity of a debt without updating your information. You can either dispute the account online or by mail, but if you dispute online you don't have as many protections lawsuit wise; if you dispute through the mail you need to give your address and that may update your account info.

I've already advised you to look into bankruptcy to get rid of your judgements. Judgements will last forever if the creditor remembers to renew the judgement on time.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:

Now what should I do?
Read this: The Statute of Limitations On Debt

and this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Actually, it would strengthen all neighborhoods to have a mix of higher and lower-income families residing together. There's no reason neighborhoods should be segregated by income, race, age, or family makeup.

Sure-

So living in a higher income neighborhood will change -

single parent familes?
drug use?
lack of emphasis on education?
culture of crime?

What this "initiative" will do is create "white flight" from the areas adjacent to HUD housing, depress housing values, depress local tax revenues, increase crime, and create "pocket ghettos" all around the nation. This "experiment" has been tried in the 1960s and failed, creating massive ghettos and "white flight". Further, loans to unqualified buyers (as previously, at the behest of liberals trying to social engineer) nearly destroyed the US economy!

Throwing a carp into a pristine waterway does not transform it into a brook trout.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
What reasoning do economists employ to support zoning (supply control)?

Purpose of zoning-

To maintain the property tax base for a given area. With no zoning laws, a hog rendering plant could be built next to a several thousand home, high income housing area. Property values decline, tax revenue declines, and people move to an area in which zoning prevents "hog rendering plants" next to $1 million homes.

The "government" does not care about the "comfort" of citizens, but they do care about tax revenues (see Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Watts).

Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Purpose of zoning-

To maintain the property tax base for a given area. With no zoning laws, a hog rendering plant could be built next to a several thousand home, high income housing area. Property values decline, tax revenue declines, and people move to an area in which zoning prevents "hog rendering plants" next to $1 million homes.

The "government" does not care about the "comfort" of citizens, but they do care about tax revenues (see Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Watts).

i'm familiar with the purported purpose (!) of zoning, but I'm asking about economists, who presumably are familiar with the adverse economic realities associated with supply controls.

Thomas Sowell demonstrated the redistributive upward effect of zoning, and admitted it was difficult to justify (Markets and Minorities, Chapter 7).

Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you're a bit too focused on the work hard thing I said. I should have said they have achieved a certain SES. sounds snobby, but it is true. I worked crappy jobs in my late teens and early 20s, but I wasn't upset that, if I did live on my own, I'd have to live in a less desirable place. I just kept it moving and lived with my mom in her nice house. the working poor do work harder than most of us, you are right, but they are not yet in the ses class they need to be in to be in a neighborhood like mine. those who are the most to black are those who keep the minimal wage low, who have made job security a thing of the past, don't give their employees full time or health care. but the answer is not to drop these same people with no real skills, in established middle class area. their old ghetto will still be a ghetto, and then my neighborhood will be an extension of that ghetto.
*blame not black

Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
why should college-educated burger flippers have to live in the ghetto? you seem to be saying that income trumps all other components of SES.
because they're burger flippers. why not work on making ghettos better places to live for those who can only afford to live in these places. when low income, mostly low skilled people are moved into middle class and upper middle class areas, what do the middle class and upper middle class residents get out of the deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies