Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Under the current SYG law, the woman can cry victim (poor me, I was so scared, yada, yada...), and she'll get off scot-free, where as here in Canada (where people aren't allowed to carry guns on them in person) if the same incident happened, you'd be arrested, tried, convicted, and your sorry butt would be tossed into a jail cell and the key thrown away, so consequently, there are few cases of people taking lives over such absurd circumstances in our country.

That has nothing to do with SYG
, you can possess a weapon in a state without SYG and use it to defend yourself.

Quote:
Here in Canada, you can (if you so wish) pick a fight with someone, put your fist through someone's window, or take a swing at them, just so long as you understand that the person you have chosen to get ill-involved with may have the means and capacity (both physically and professionally) to end your life in a heartbeat (without a gun),
And what if you're a skinny a little women being faced by a huge man? The gun is the equalizer in this situation and if you're going to live in this country you better realize that that little woman may have the means to kill your sorry ass if you decide to physically assault her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
A man approached my husband the other day while he was sitting in the car at the bank. The man was homeless and all he wanted was some spare change, should my husband (if he lived in the States) have shot him?
You husband better have a better excuse than he was approached by the man becsue he's going to jail for murder otherwise.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
On the contrary, as I feel guns have a time and a place, but in the streets in every man, woman, and child's hands, isn't the way.
So your position has nothing at all to do with SYG but gun possession itself. Wheteher you like it or not we here in the US have a constitutional right to possess firearams and that is not going to change anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Working from the quoted post entry above, I ask you, at what point in time is my husband allowed to defend himself (according to the SYG American Defense law)?
At the same point in time he would when in a state without SYG which is the point you seem to be missing. Again when you are in state without SYG you have the duty to retreat, the option to defend yourself is your second option and that's ass backwards.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
After reviewing the pros and cons of SYG, I understand it's intended purposes but I also understand the possibilities for abuse. Anyone who is familiar with the law and have at least a compentent lawyer can manipulate the law into their favor, thus giving them a get out of jail card free for murder, rather intentional or not.
Simetime there is saying that it's better that 100 guilty people go free instead of convicting one innocent person. This is a safety issue as well, the last thing that should be in your mind when in situation like this is whether you can run away. Your first thought needs to be how you are going to defend yourself which may include fleeing.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This gets thrown out of the window when it comes to police busting into your home without identifying themselves since it is your word verses theirs.
In indiana if the police unlawfully bust your door down (e.g. wrong address) and you shoot them, you walk.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In indiana if the police unlawfully bust your door down (e.g. wrong address) and you shoot them, you walk.
Yeah, you walk about 4' until one of his buddies shoots you and your entire family just for good measure. There's right and there's dead right. We've become a nation that accepts mistakes from the police even when innocent people die.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Simetime there is saying that it's better that 100 guilty people go free instead of convicting one innocent person. This is a safety issue as well, the last thing that should be in your mind when in situation like this is whether you can run away. Your first thought needs to be how you are going to defend yourself which may include fleeing.
The other probelm that has bother me is that there are some people who have guns when confronted by an unarmed assailant have no probelm with killing them instead of fleeing or shooting them in a non-vital area.

Lets make this clear I have no probelm with anyone defending themselves, but there is a difference in provoking an altercation and killing someone and protecting yourself.

"It's better to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6"--- Ice Cube

Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
I have read that somewhere else as well, but unfortunately that is the only state that has such a law that makes police accountable for their mistakes

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Yeah, you walk about 4' until one of his buddies shoots you .....
Probably but I never liked the bust the door down tactics, the only reason for it is to preserve evidence. There might be some isolated cases if they know the occupant has violence tendencies and is most likely to start shooting no matter what but that's about it. Busting the door down sould be the exception , not the rule.

I now one thing this law will do, it's going to make them double and triple check addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies