Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
or shooting them in a non-vital area.
That only happens in the movies or if your a professional shot practicing it all day. Accurately shooting a small stationary target is not an easy task with handgun let alone one that is moving. If you're going to point a gun at someone with the intent to pull the trigger you aim for th mid point of their torso. There's other considerations here as well because that bullet is going somewhere else if it misses your target.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-18-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
The other probelm that has bother me is that there are some people who have guns when confronted by an unarmed assailant have no probelm with killing them instead of fleeing or shooting them in a non-vital area.

Lets make this clear I have no probelm with anyone defending themselves, but there is a difference in provoking an altercation and killing someone and protecting yourself.

"It's better to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6"--- Ice Cube
First of all, there really isn't such a thing as an unarmed assailant, unless your assailant is a quadriplegic who has fallen out of their wheelchair, in which case they aren't an assailant anymore. Anyone who has a modicum of exposure to martial arts can tell you this. It is entirely possible to seriously injure or even kill someone with only the weapons you were born with.

Second of all, would you purposely attempt to shoot someone who is attacking you in a non-vital area? The purpose of shooting someone is to stop their attack. Your chances of stopping an attacker decrease drastically when you are shooting at their extremities. Anyone who has had any training in using a firearm for self-defense has been taught to shoot for center mass - in other words, the torso. The reason for this is that the only area of the human body where a bullet is guaranteed to stop your assailant is the torso, and frankly that isn't even a guarantee in some situations. The idea that you can "wing" someone in a high stress situation such as an assault is ludicrous in the first place and comes from watching too many bad action movies.

How many times do you hear on the news that the police shot a suspect in the leg or arm? Hardly ever, because the police are trained professionals who have been taught exactly what I posted in the previous paragraph.

SYG - except in extreme cases of misapplication which have far more to do with the judicial system than the law itself - is not an excuse to provoke someone into a fight so that you can then kill them. Where the idea that this is the case comes from, I have no idea, but it is apparent from the opponents of SYG that it is a widely held false belief.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That only happens in the movies or if your a professional shot practicing it all day. Accurately shooting a small stationary target is not an easy task with handgun let alone one that is moving. If you're going to point a gun at someone with the intent to pull the trigger you aim for th mid point of their torso. There's other considerations here as well because that bullet is going somewhere else if it misses your target.

20 years in the military I know this very well, but the majority of shootings are at close range, the zimmerman case is the perfect example.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
First of all, there really isn't such a thing as an unarmed assailant, unless your assailant is a quadriplegic who has fallen out of their wheelchair, in which case they aren't an assailant anymore. Anyone who has a modicum of exposure to martial arts can tell you this. It is entirely possible to seriously injure or even kill someone with only the weapons you were born with.

Ok, I can agree with that but would you bring a boxer to a gunfight?

Second of all, would you purposely attempt to shoot someone who is attacking you in a non-vital area? The purpose of shooting someone is to stop their attack. Your chances of stopping an attacker decrease drastically when you are shooting at their extremities. Anyone who has had any training in using a firearm for self-defense has been taught to shoot for center mass - in other words, the torso. The reason for this is that the only area of the human body where a bullet is guaranteed to stop your assailant is the torso, and frankly that isn't even a guarantee in some situations. The idea that you can "wing" someone in a high stress situation such as an assault is ludicrous in the first place and comes from watching too many bad action movies.

Many kill-shots determinations are made from emotions, rather it be fear or anger and shooting someone in the arm at a distance is a pretty hard thing to do. I was thinking more of about 5-10ft and shooting them in the upper torso or thigh if possible. If people would taking gun safety/training classes I really don't think that it would be such an issue in the first place

How many times do you hear on the news that the police shot a suspect in the leg or arm? Hardly ever, because the police are trained professionals who have been taught exactly what I posted in the previous paragraph.

I have an uncle who said that they are taught to do so and only kill if their life or someone elses is in danger. There have been many officers that shoot to kill without any regards to the consequences because the review board is going to get them off anyway

SYG - except in extreme cases of misapplication which have far more to do with the judicial system than the law itself - is not an excuse to provoke someone into a fight so that you can then kill them. Where the idea that this is the case comes from, I have no idea, but it is apparent from the opponents of SYG that it is a widely held false belief.
That is what we can agree to, "The Judical System" and how it is applied There is something that we have common ground on

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,334 times
It doesn't matter if the majority of Americans support it. The left will keep insisting it's wrong and will keep screaming and yelling about it...maybe even hold their breath awhile.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,976,229 times
I love that SYG is in my state. Its supported by a majority of voters. If I need to use deadly force I do not have to be in fear of some over zealous PA. Maybe if we had a few more Zimmerman kind of shootings thugs would think twice about being well thugs.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
In a civilized society, not until there is warrant to do so.

A man approached my husband the other day while he was sitting in the car at the bank. The man was homeless and all he wanted was some spare change, should my husband (if he lived in the States) have shot him?

Maybe the man was going to strangle my husband? Maybe he was going to rob him and steal the car? Maybe he had a gun or a knife on him? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

The SYG is a coward law IMO, and not only is it cowardly, it promotes cowardly acts, too.
This has nothing to do with SYG.

You people really need to get a grip. It's been what, two months now, that you've been screeching about this? And you still quite simply have no clue what SYG is or why it exists.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
20 years in the military I know this very well, but the majority of shootings are at close range, the zimmerman case is the perfect example.
What does that matter, you're going to try and shoot someone in the leg while you're on the ground? Then you miss and they take the gun off you and kill you with it.

The bottom line is this, if you're going to fire a weapon at someone you don't try and "wing" them.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Regardless of how you all may feel about the Trayvon case or the SYG, this is one of the reasons why many people fear it

Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What does that matter, you're going to try and shoot someone in the leg while you're on the ground? Then you miss and they take the gun off you and kill you with it.

The bottom line is this, if you're going to fire a weapon at someone you don't try and "wing" them.

That would only apply in certain sitautions and not all, and if you are alluding to the Trayvon scenario I will gladly abstain from the conversation. Btw, you don't have to hit a vital organ nor do you have to aim for an extremity to keep someone off of you. Rather you want to admit it or not many people intentionally aim for those spots rather it is necessary or not because of the"deadmen tell no tales" attitude.

Last edited by simetime; 08-23-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies