Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Nope. Unlike miracle oil, GW theory was put forward by a scientist.
Which is still nothing but theory.

Show me some facts that are true about AGW and maybe I will jump on al-Gore's bandwagon.

Facts not theory. And I bet you have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Ice in the bucket weather is early in NH this time. Had ice today, and again on the 6th at 2.800 ft. Last night here where I live was 33 at 600 ft asl.

Warmist's will find food prices higher due to lack of food because this summer was TOO COLD and too Wet.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I know the shoreline like the back of my hand in some areas and IF? the sea level is rising it is such a small amount it Isn't noticeable!!! and that is over a period of 40 years!! that ipcc prediction will not be even close the what they project. who the hell knows what's going to happen in 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 years maybe the sea will rise some, maybe the ice caps will regenerate. who the heck knows they just want to instill fear in the masses.. just to many variables in a changing climate to make such predictions in only a few decades of data..
I agree and can confirm this for 55 years for the areas I see day to day over these years. BUT warmist's don't believe sea level is the same world wide

I can't get that figured.

Once the sea level was some 400 miles out to sea on the east coast of the USA and Canada. The North Sea was dry land once. If this floats yer stick any google Doggerland.

New evidence is being dredged up every day, and one day we will find danish daggers and clovis points are from the same peoples and were from the same place and white euros co-discovered the north american continent, that the atlantic was apx 2000 miles across not the 3000 it is today. This would make greenland larger as well as iceland.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Global warming? No, actually we're cooling, claim scientists. A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.

Global warming? No, actually we're cooling, claim scientists - Telegraph

Damn. I'm getting the popcorn and wait for the warmers to get here.
It is possible we may be going into a cooling cycle, similar to the dips we had in the past.

Here is new paper that discusses it that was just submitted by Syun-Ichi Akasofu.

On the Present Halting of Global Warming

Quote:
Abstract:

The rise in global average temperature over the last century has halted since roughly the year 2000, despite the fact that the release of CO2 into the atmosphere is still increasing. It is suggested here that this interruption has been caused by the suspension of the near linear (+ 0.5 °C/100 years or 0.05 °C/10 years) temperature increase over the last two centuries, due to recovery from the Little Ice Age, by a superposed multi-decadal oscillation of a 0.2 °C amplitude and a 50~60 year period, which reached its positive peak in about the year 2000—a halting similar to those that occurred around 1880 and 1940. Because both the near linear change and the multi-decadal oscillation are likely to be natural changes (the recovery from the Little Ice Age (LIA) and an oscillation related to the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), respectively), they must be carefully subtracted from temperature data before estimating the effects of CO2

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Sure I do. You pull all these graphs and crap from the internet and proclaim its true when it agrees with your position.
LOLZ. So YOU do believe everything you read on the internet?

Quote:
Which is still nothing but theory.
And? Obviously you have a hard time understanding the significance of theories.

Quote:
Show me some facts that are true about AGW and maybe I will jump on al-Gore's bandwagon.

Facts not theory. And I bet you have none.
DOUBLE LOLZ. Al-Gor'e's bandwagon? How about you MAN up and admit you don't care about facts and nothing will convince you otherwise. It's pretty obvious you have very little understand of science when youy trot out the "facts not theories" remark.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM

78,373 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Ah the Daily Mail.

You are a keen and insightful individual.

That is why I would like to propose a business arrangement.

You see, I am a Nigerian prince and have the sum of $50million.......

Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is possible we may be going into a cooling cycle, similar to the dips we had in the past.

Here is new paper that discusses it that was just submitted by Syun-Ichi Akasofu.

On the Present Halting of Global Warming
KEY WORD is "present" halting of global warming. Lastly, where are you making the jump to "we may be going into cooling cycle". In the full text he goes onto to say an increase of ~0.5C will likely occur.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree and can confirm this for 55 years for the areas I see day to day over these years. BUT warmist's don't believe sea level is the same world wide

I can't get that figured.

Once the sea level was some 400 miles out to sea on the east coast of the USA and Canada. The North Sea was dry land once. If this floats yer stick any google Doggerland.

New evidence is being dredged up every day, and one day we will find danish daggers and clovis points are from the same peoples and were from the same place and white euros co-discovered the north american continent, that the atlantic was apx 2000 miles across not the 3000 it is today. This would make greenland larger as well as iceland.

Global warming may be pausing for a period of global cooling

sea level might start dropping

Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
KEY WORD is "present" halting of global warming. Lastly, where are you making the jump to "we may be going into cooling cycle". In the full text he goes onto to say an increase of ~0.5C will likely occur.
If you look on WattsUpWithThat and SkepticalScience there seems to be some controversy in the blogosphere over the quality of the paper (there is the typical juvenile circle-jerk running commentary which seems so characteristic of many of WUWT's posters). The article was published in the first issue of a new open access Journal called "Climate". One of the members of the editorial board resigned over it saying that the quality of the paper was substandard as there was data that didn't appear to be analyzed, the main hypothesis was not tested and would have been falsified if it had been, other statements were not well supported etc and he didn't want his name to be associated with a Journal who would publish a paper which had applied the scientific method so poorly. He said the author could expect rebuttal papers.

Why I Resigned from the Editorial Board of Climate over its Akasofu Publication
Syun Akasofu’s work provokes journal resignation | Watts Up With That?

I read the paper - it's pretty basic and the author does make some unsupported (or not well supported) assertions which makes his conclusion a bit flaky. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Rather silly for a new Journal to risk it's reputation because of a failure of the peer-review process in it's first issue. I wonder who the reviewers were and what the review discussions were?

Last edited by Ceist; 09-09-2013 at 11:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Default Arctic sea ice up 60 percent in 2013

Hmmm. I guess we have another problem.. An Ice age is coming, because we are polluting the air with CO2. right?

Arctic sea ice up 60 percent in 2013 | Fox News

Quote:
About a million more square miles of ocean are covered in ice in 2013 than in 2012, a whopping 60 percent increase -- and a dramatic deviation from predictions of an "ice-free Arctic in 2013," the Daily Mail noted.

Arctic sea ice averaged 2.35 million square miles in August 2013, as compared to the low point of 1.32 million square miles recorded on Sept. 16, 2012, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. A chart published Sept. 8 by NSIDC shows the dramatic rise this year, putting total ice cover within two standard deviations of the 30-year average.

Noting the year over year surge, one scientist even argued that "global cooling" was here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies