Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times

Advertisements

Oh. Well if someone says the have stated fact it must be true.

No, really.

Honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Oh. Well if someone says the have stated fact it must be true.

No, really.

Honest.
In other words, you lose. Just like all the other acolytes to the Church of Global Warming.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
and so a new ice age begins, brutal winters ahead for the us.. and less hurricanes for the atlantic basin..
The ice-age has never ended. We have been in an ice-age for the last 2.588 million years, and as long as there is ice at either pole, we will remain in an ice-age. We are currently toward the end of the Holocene Interglacial Period which has lasted for the last 13,000 years.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Global warming? No, actually we're cooling, claim scientists. A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.

Global warming? No, actually we're cooling, claim scientists - Telegraph

Damn. I'm getting the popcorn and wait for the warmers to get here.
This is completely consistent with past trends. Every 30 to 35 years we go through a warming trend, followed by a cooling trend.

From 1880 to 1915 the planet went through a cooling trend.
From 1915 to 1945 the planet went through a warming trend.
From 1945 to 1980 the planet went through a cooling trend.
From 1980 to 2010 the planet went through a warming trend.

From 2010 to present we appear to be going through another cooling trend which will last until sometime between 2040 and 2045.

When the Holocene Interglacial Period ends in about 2,000 years we will see a sudden drop of 6°C in the mean surface temperature of the planet. Glaciers will reform and once again the about one third of the planet will be locked in ice. So enjoy it while you can.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
The other words in "in other words" are words you made up.

For the home audience and those just joining us, what I'm talking about stems from this post in another, very similar, thread. I got back to Mr. 310 with the following:

Quote:
Speaking of which, what about volcanoes? One of the more skeptical among us mentioned them somewhere upthread, so I thought I would help our learned colleague and point him toward the answer. Why said friend didn't just use the same magic box he uses to express his views on things geological to explore the issue on his own time eludes me.

But I digress. Volcanoes.

Quote:
Volcanic versus anthropogenic CO2 emissions

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011).
The published estimates of the global CO2 emission rate for all degassing subaerial (on land) and submarine volcanoes lie in a range from 0.13 gigaton to 0.44 gigaton per year (Gerlach, 1991; Varekamp et al., 1992; Allard, 1992; Sano and Williams, 1996; Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998). The preferred global estimates of the authors of these studies range from about 0.15 to 0.26 gigaton per year. The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates.
As per the United States Geological Survey, which I choose to consider a pretty solid place to go for answers to such questions because they aren't a retired weatherman's blog.
I stand by everything I've said.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You will be waiting for me to stack water on ice in my bathtub? Christ your life must be dull.
No I will be waiting the rest of my life to see sea level be higher on one place than another. You PC warmists seem to have the idea sea level can vary from place to place. I assure you sea level IS sea level the world around.

Even if you filled your tub with ice and water, when all the ice melted the water level will be the same!

I will have to check with my wife if my life is boring and dull. We just got back from a primitive event, and will go motorcycling all over NH this Fall as we please. Hopefully get a deer to fill the freezer, eat pan fried trout camped along some stream, eating home grown corn. I will admit the corn isn't great this year, as it was way too cold and wet to be growing corn!

I am not sure which comes first, next....... The Scottish Festival at Loon Mt or the Fryberg Fair where on loggers days they have painted ladies parade around passing out free whiskey. At the scott event they throw phone poles and at the loggers event they throw razor sharp axes, and at my primitive events we shoot, throw hawks, and knives.

I find you PC don't know how to make or do much..... Nothing i want can come from stores really.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This is completely consistent with past trends. Every 30 to 35 years we go through a warming trend, followed by a cooling trend.

From 1880 to 1915 the planet went through a cooling trend.
From 1915 to 1945 the planet went through a warming trend.
From 1945 to 1980 the planet went through a cooling trend.
From 1980 to 2010 the planet went through a warming trend.

From 2010 to present we appear to be going through another cooling trend which will last until sometime between 2040 and 2045.

When the Holocene Interglacial Period ends in about 2,000 years we will see a sudden drop of 6°C in the mean surface temperature of the planet. Glaciers will reform and once again the about one third of the planet will be locked in ice. So enjoy it while you can.
How do you know the Interglacial will end in 2000 years?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
That's fascinating. Too bad you didn't spend your time measuring mean sea level over decades. If you had, maybe your opinion might matter.

My childhood was spent on the plain in the middle of Alberta. As far as my childhood experience goes, the sea doesn't exist at all. That should tell you what anecdotal evidence is worth.

Actual science, not denialist anecdotes, show you to be wrong.
Then the so called science is WRONG......... if the seal raised a few inches these roads would be gone..... In a storm high tide they do go under water. Since i do pre 1840 events i know where on the south shore of the Land Down under the rock there is carved AT mid tide AT mean tide in 1854 and it has not changed since unless you want to count 6 mm which is 1/4 inch. if you think I will worry about 1/4 inch or 6 mm's you are more crazy than I am.

It so happens I am also related to one Donald McKay and that 1854 time has been of some interest to me over my years. Tea Packet Clippers, which held speed records until the mid 1960's.

If the sea level has raised it didn't do it evenly

You silly lubbers have no idea and buy Al Gore's fat, lock stock and barrel. We should be harvesting AL shortly for oil and lube.

Living where you do why would you even care about sea level? Have you ever eaten a clam?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
How do you know the Interglacial will end in 2000 years?
Because all of the other interglacial periods during the Pleistocene series have been approximately 15,000 years in duration on average. The interglacial period may end tomorrow, or it could last another another 13,000 years, but based upon the last six interglacial periods in the current ice-age over the last 2.588 million years, the Holocene Interglacial Period still has a few more thousand years before Canada is completely engulfed in ice once again.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No I will be waiting the rest of my life to see sea level be higher on one place than another. You PC warmists seem to have the idea sea level can vary from place to place. I assure you sea level IS sea level the world around.

Even if you filled your tub with ice and water, when all the ice melted the water level will be the same!

I will have to check with my wife if my life is boring and dull. We just got back from a primitive event, and will go motorcycling all over NH this Fall as we please. Hopefully get a deer to fill the freezer, eat pan fried trout camped along some stream, eating home grown corn. I will admit the corn isn't great this year, as it was way too cold and wet to be growing corn!

I am not sure which comes first, next....... The Scottish Festival at Loon Mt or the Fryberg Fair where on loggers days they have painted ladies parade around passing out free whiskey. At the scott event they throw phone poles and at the loggers event they throw razor sharp axes, and at my primitive events we shoot, throw hawks, and knives.

I find you PC don't know how to make or do much..... Nothing i want can come from stores really.
Apparent sea level can and does vary because of glacial rebound. Post-glacial rebound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies