Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times

Advertisements

Let me ask you folks. If a group of non-mainstream, non-government-funded-climatologist scientists and engineers developed an ingenious way to virtually stop global climate change in its tracks, to possibly even begin "reversing" it within fifteen years of first implementation, and it would be relatively inexpensive (meaning it might cost only $3-5 Trillion) and relatively quick (meaning it would take only ten years to build and another five years to implement), would that be good news to you?

This would mean we could abandon these terrible CFLs and LEDs, abandon cap & trade, let China deal with China's air problems, focus on some of the more visceral and visible and impactful areas of the environment and ecology, and relax certain (not all) transportation regulations and clean energy initiatives. It would mean we don't have to crush capitalism or feel guilty about our individual "carbon footprint" or our paltry 17.4% reduction in greenhouse gases. It would mean thousands of climatologists could switch careers.

Would this kind of "relatively easy relatively inexpensive fix" defeat the purpose of this whole thing? If we developed the technology to effectively arrest the greenhouse effect, would that be CHEATING? If we could stop the earth from heating (naturally or anthropomorphically) with little individual "effort" or concern or sacrifice?

What would be your honest reaction to something like that? Would it ever even see the light of day? Do we NEED the sky to be falling? Do we NEED the inevitable warming, to feel the guilt of having been born, to feel like we're making some "effort," to feel embattled against those who don't think it's happening at all, or those who think it's happening but we didn't cause it, or those who think it's happening and we caused it but we can't stop it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
remember if they bang big corp!!! then big corp will bang you in the wallet..
Your defending large corporations, while you ignore small and medium sized businesses.

"There are 5.8 million employer firms in the U.S. Firms with less than 20 workers made up 89.7 percent of these businesses. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of employer firms."

And small and medium sized businesses create the overwhelming majority of new American jobs.

Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council

And these large corporations have moved their high paying American manufacturing jobs to Asia (to get cheaper labor and increase their profits.)

And what is the republican response to this?
Answer: You want to give these large corporations the following money, so we increase CEO pay and finance the building of more US factories in China (and add the following $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt.)

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

How about giving that $6.6 trillion dollars to small businesses and regular Americans??

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
I like my large corporation. I think I'll stay with it.

But I'm not a "regular" 'Murican...

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I truly doubt Isostatic rebound is happening in the us vi.. and like I said I see no difference in the low and high tide marks in 40 years that I've been shore combing. if the oceans are rising I bet it is like a 16 of an inch annually at most.. not much to worry about!!! when we got way bigger fish to worry about than a little sea level rise.. and I still think we are in for some major cooling in the coming years, and will result in less hurricanes and less sea level rise if not a retraction.. people will be begging for a little global warming if a real global cooling trend starts, if a little ice age got going right now and lasted for 500 years we would be screwed way more than a little warming.
I agree, but if trend continues as they have for the last 130 years, this current cooling trend will only last 30 to 35 years, until around 2040 to 2045. Then it will warm up again for a similar period.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree, but if trend continues as they have for the last 130 years, this current cooling trend will only last 30 to 35 years, until around 2040 to 2045. Then it will warm up again for a similar period.
What current cooling period?

Old 09-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What current cooling period?
The one that began around 2010.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...27_638x345.jpg

Global warming is BS for the masses who want to believe in something...
Global warming is potentially scientific fact.
Global warming is a religion without a God (in the same sense that Buddhism is).
Global warming is an excuse to enact leftist policies.

And any given person may follow none, one, all, or any combination of those 3 ways of viewing it.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Let me ask you folks. If a group of non-mainstream, non-government-funded-climatologist scientists and engineers developed an ingenious way to virtually stop global climate change in its tracks, to possibly even begin "reversing" it within fifteen years of first implementation, and it would be relatively inexpensive (meaning it might cost only $3-5 Trillion) and relatively quick (meaning it would take only ten years to build and another five years to implement), would that be good news to you?

This would mean we could abandon these terrible CFLs and LEDs, abandon cap & trade, let China deal with China's air problems, focus on some of the more visceral and visible and impactful areas of the environment and ecology, and relax certain (not all) transportation regulations and clean energy initiatives. It would mean we don't have to crush capitalism or feel guilty about our individual "carbon footprint" or our paltry 17.4% reduction in greenhouse gases. It would mean thousands of climatologists could switch careers.

Would this kind of "relatively easy relatively inexpensive fix" defeat the purpose of this whole thing? If we developed the technology to effectively arrest the greenhouse effect, would that be CHEATING? If we could stop the earth from heating (naturally or anthropomorphically) with little individual "effort" or concern or sacrifice?

What would be your honest reaction to something like that? Would it ever even see the light of day? Do we NEED the sky to be falling? Do we NEED the inevitable warming, to feel the guilt of having been born, to feel like we're making some "effort," to feel embattled against those who don't think it's happening at all, or those who think it's happening but we didn't cause it, or those who think it's happening and we caused it but we can't stop it?
You won't get an honest answer to that. Global warming has become like racism and sexism. It's an industry. People gain money, job and personal satisfaction, and fame from researching and fighting against it. Whenever someone profits from fighting against something, they have no incentive to ever achieve final victory. Fighting against racism has made Al Sharpton a wealthy and famous man. And fighting against climate change has done the same for Al Gore. And while the average person on the street doesn't have this profit motive, what they do is trust the intentions and words of the people who do have that motive. They are Sharpton and Gore's customers.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Global warming is potentially scientific fact.
Global warming is a religion without a God (in the same sense that Buddhism is).
Global warming is an excuse to enact leftist policies.

And any given person may follow none, one, all, or any combination of those 3 ways of viewing it.
Actually, global warming and global cooling are scientific facts with empirical evidence and numerous observations. What has become a "religion" is the extremely hubris view that humans could somehow effect the global climate. Liberal freaks have latched on to anthropological climate change in order to increase the size and scope of government in order to reduce or eliminate our liberty and freedom.

The really funny thing is that these liberal freaks are not trying to do anything that would allow us to adapt to climate change. They are trying to pretend that we do not exist by "reducing our carbon footprint." Their solution is to stick our collective heads in the sand and hope climate change will just go away.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your defending large corporations, while you ignore small and medium sized businesses.

"There are 5.8 million employer firms in the U.S. Firms with less than 20 workers made up 89.7 percent of these businesses. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of employer firms."

And small and medium sized businesses create the overwhelming majority of new American jobs.

Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council

And these large corporations have moved their high paying American manufacturing jobs to Asia (to get cheaper labor and increase their profits.)

And what is the republican response to this?
Answer: You want to give these large corporations the following money, so we increase CEO pay and finance the building of more US factories in China (and add the following $6.6 trillion dollars to our national debt.)

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

How about giving that $6.6 trillion dollars to small businesses and regular Americans??

I was not defending big corp!! I was just stating a fact..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies