Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Apparent sea level can and does vary because of glacial rebound. Post-glacial rebound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I truly doubt Isostatic rebound is happening in the us vi.. and like I said I see no difference in the low and high tide marks in 40 years that I've been shore combing. if the oceans are rising I bet it is like a 16 of an inch annually at most.. not much to worry about!!! when we got way bigger fish to worry about than a little sea level rise.. and I still think we are in for some major cooling in the coming years, and will result in less hurricanes and less sea level rise if not a retraction.. people will be begging for a little global warming if a real global cooling trend starts, if a little ice age got going right now and lasted for 500 years we would be screwed way more than a little warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I wonder what exactly is the agenda of people who deny that CO2 contributes to warming of the climate.....Why are they afraid of making some effort to reduce CO2 emissions? What harm could it do? We have done exactly that here in BC with some success and the sky did not fall. In fact it has put money in my pocket...Can someone please tell me what you are afraid of?

British Columbia’s carbon levy has not only succeeded in reducing emissions in that province, but has done so without impairing economic growth. Because the B.C. government reduced other taxes as it imposed the carbon levy, taxpayers in the provinces have actually benefited, the study said.

Between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2012, the greenhouse gas emissions in B.C. fell 17.4 per cent, while they rose in the rest of the country by 1.5 per cent over the period, the report found. At the same time, B.C.s economy slightly outperformed the rest of the country. B.C. carbon tax showing positive results - The Globe and Mail

Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Rather be warmer than cooler. There will be benefits and drawbacks to the planet's natural long-term climate swings.

It's frustrating, though, that some of the novel ideas for sequestering greenhouse gases, reflecting light back into space and otherwise changing the earth's albedo, etc. never get much interest. While none of these ideas could be termed "practical," they're probably levels of magnitude more practical than the total economic collapse and replacement authoritarian command economy that are espoused by some.

Here, I check this every day or two. When three people emailed this article (from various sources) today I knew *exactly* where we are this year due to watching it almost daily: Sea Ice Page

Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Why are they afraid of making some effort to reduce CO2 emissions?[/url]
Some effort?

That "some effort" is virtually nothing. I know you think 17.4% is something, but it's really nothing. You'll have to try MUCH, MUCH harder in order to make some sort of impact on earth's long-term climate, and you'll have to convince the other 99.x% of the world to make a similar much harder effort.

In the scheme of things the changes you mention are so small as to be virtually indistinguishable from a person or group of people who've done nothing.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Rather be warmer than cooler. There will be benefits and drawbacks to the planet's natural long-term climate swings.

It's frustrating, though, that some of the novel ideas for sequestering greenhouse gases, reflecting light back into space and otherwise changing the earth's albedo, etc. never get much interest. While none of these ideas could be termed "practical," they're probably levels of magnitude more practical than the total economic collapse and replacement authoritarian command economy that are espoused by some.

Here, I check this every day or two. When three people emailed this article (from various sources) today I knew *exactly* where we are this year due to watching it almost daily: Sea Ice Page
That is NOT the Arctic sea ice site....It is the Watts denier's blog...Here is the real deal. Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

As you can see, the Northwest passage is once again open.

Meanwhile in Greenland and Antarctica... http://www.smh.com.au/environment/cl...906-2t93z.html

Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Some effort?

That "some effort" is virtually nothing. I know you think 17.4% is something, but it's really nothing. You'll have to try MUCH, MUCH harder in order to make some sort of impact on earth's long-term climate, and you'll have to convince the other 99.x% of the world to make a similar much harder effort.

In the scheme of things the changes you mention are so small as to be virtually indistinguishable from a person or group of people who've done nothing.
I agree that it is very little, but it's a hell of a lot better than hiding your head under the melting ice and saying "what's the use"...That attitude is useless.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Same data, thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I agree that it is very little, but it's a hell of a lot better than hiding your head under the melting ice and saying "what's the use"...
Nope, it's virtually the same. BUT, if it makes you feel good, that's something for sure!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
I wonder what exactly is the agenda of people who deny that CO2 contributes to warming of the climate.....Why are they afraid of making some effort to reduce CO2 emissions? What harm could it do? We have done exactly that here in BC with some success and the sky did not fall. In fact it has put money in my pocket...Can someone please tell me what you are afraid of?

British Columbia’s carbon levy has not only succeeded in reducing emissions in that province, but has done so without impairing economic growth. Because the B.C. government reduced other taxes as it imposed the carbon levy, taxpayers in the provinces have actually benefited, the study said.

Between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2012, the greenhouse gas emissions in B.C. fell 17.4 per cent, while they rose in the rest of the country by 1.5 per cent over the period, the report found. At the same time, B.C.s economy slightly outperformed the rest of the country. B.C. carbon tax showing positive results - The Globe and Mail
The people in this forum who deny global warming are all Fox news and Rush radio listeners/followers. Fox news and Rush radio are called "corporate propaganda groups" by scientists and propaganda experts. Fox and Rush's only true purpose is to get corporate tax cuts, corporate deregulation, and to increase corporate profits.

Fox and Rush say global warming is not happening as a favor for corporations like ExxonMobile. If America does something about global warming these corporations will see decreased profits. The people who listen to Fox/Rush take on this corporate anti-global warming agenda, and they deny global warming and attack all measures to combat global warming.

The following Australian documentary shows/explains the above. Fox news and Rush radio manipulates these people in incredible ways.

The Billionaires' Tea Party (Full Length Documentary) - YouTube

Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The people in this forum who deny global warming are all Fox news and Rush radio listeners/followers. Fox news and Rush radio are called "corporate propaganda groups" by scientists and propaganda experts. Fox and Rush's only true purpose is to get corporate tax cuts, corporate deregulation, and to increase corporate profits.

Fox and Rush say global warming is not happening as a favor for corporations like ExxonMobile. If America does something about global warming these corporations will see decreased profits. The people who listen to Fox/Rush take on this anti-global warming corporate agenda, and they deny global warming and attack all measures to combat global warming.

The following Australian documentary shows/explains the above. Fox news and Rush radio manipulates these people in incredible ways.

The Billionaires' Tea Party (Full Length Documentary) - YouTube

remember if they bang big corp!!! then big corp will bang you in the wallet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies