Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 09:30 PM

957 posts, read 761,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The magazine and "assault weapon" ban would do nothing to curb firearm crime.

Rifles (all kinds) account for roughly 3% of firearm crime.
Someone earlier said that the AR-15 was capable of firing multiple rounds in a short time period. That being the case, banning said weapon would curb firearm crime. The Tucson massacre is a prime example of a person using a rapid fire weapon with a high capacity magazine. The shooter was stopped when he had to replace the magazine. I believe the magazine of choice carried 30 rounds. The 9 y/o girl who was killed was hit with the 12th or 13th round. Had Loughner been limited to 10 rounds prior to having to replace his magazine, that 9 y/o girl as well as many other lives would have been spared.
Tell me again why you need more than 10 rounds to go hunting or protect your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,763,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Someone earlier said that the AR-15 was capable of firing multiple rounds in a short time period. That being the case, banning said weapon would curb firearm crime. The Tucson massacre is a prime example of a person using a rapid fire weapon with a high capacity magazine. The shooter was stopped when he had to replace the magazine. I believe the magazine of choice carried 30 rounds. The 9 y/o girl who was killed was hit with the 12th or 13th round. Had Loughner been limited to 10 rounds prior to having to replace his magazine, that 9 y/o girl as well as many other lives would have been spared.
Tell me again why you need more than 10 rounds to go hunting or protect your home?
No it wouldnt have, it only takes about 0.9 to 2 seconds to change magazines...and they could have as many mags as they wanted, plus if that had fewer rounds wouldn't that make they take better aimed shots?

Why I need more then 10 rounds? easy because the criminals might attack me will probably have more then ten rounds, that and I have a right to have as big of a magazine as I want its not about need its about liberty and freedom.

tell the whole"you dont need more then 10 rounds magazines" BS to people who survived the following.
The Riots of the 1960s
The LA riots
The aftermath of Hurricane Andrew
The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina
People who live on the Southern Border
And countless Americans who tonight will have to defend themselves from burglars/home inverders.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,587,955 times
Quote:
The AR-15 is a semi-auto firearm. It fires one shot for every pull of the trigger. It will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. Just like ANY semi-auto firearm. Including pistols.

I can shoot more rounds from my pistol than I can from a AR.

The Tucson shooter used a Glock 19 (9mm) with a 33rd magazine. I have exactly the same pistol and two of those magazines.

The 33rd magazine is long. He fumbled and dropped it.

10 or 15 rd magazines make no difference. Doing a tactical reload, I can unload 5 or 6 10/15 rd magazines in 1 minute.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM

11,183 posts, read 10,771,973 times
Quote:
First, you are using an incident which is a statistical outlier as your example. Most gun crime has nothing to do with high capacity magazines.
Second, you are basing your arguments on assumptions and what ifs. You assume that a person with homicidal intentions would care about a magazine limit law. To counter your what if, I ask what if he doesn't? Or what if the next guy is better at reloading?

There is not one single restriction on firearms which has provably reduced crime. Why would you expect any future restrictions to work when history shows that they don't? Stop buying into the propaganda and start pushing for solutions that address the cause of crime rather than the tools that are used to commit the crime.

I'm tired of arguing the "how many rounds do you need for xx activity" question. It has zero bearing on the issue and is a bogus argument put forth by people who have run out of talking points.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,859,049 times
Quote:
Silly me, I did not realize that nobody ever hunted varmints & boars prior to weapons firing multiple shots in a short time span.
It's common practice to track your game & try to get close as opposed to firing from long range.
And people used to be able to communicate by mailing letters, but we have found better ways to do things.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The Tucson shooter used a Glock 19 (9mm) with a 33rd magazine. I have exactly the same pistol and two of those magazines.
Oh noes, the sky is falling.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM

957 posts, read 761,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No it wouldnt have, it only takes about 0.9 to 2 seconds to change magazines...and they could have as many mags as they wanted, plus if that had fewer rounds wouldn't that make they take better aimed shots?

Why I need more then 10 rounds? easy because the criminals might attack me will probably have more then ten rounds, that and I have a right to have as big of a magazine as I want its not about need its about liberty and freedom.

tell the whole"you dont need more then 10 rounds magazines" BS to people who survived the following.
The Riots of the 1960s
The LA riots
The aftermath of Hurricane Andrew
The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina
People who live on the Southern Border
And countless Americans who tonight will have to defend themselves from burglars/home inverders.
And yet Loughner was taken down while changing magazines. Then you admit that a person would be more likely to fire indiscriminately when they have a larger capacity magazine and thus put more innocent bystanders in harms way. Yet another reason to ban high capacity magazines. The criminals, in your head, that are attacking you likely got the drop on you before you could fire a shot & in turn will end up owning your weapon. Actually, you don't have a right to own as large a capacity magazine as you want, that's up to the state in which you reside. This is actually what it's going to come down to. States will all have their own gun regulations as determined by the legislators of each state.
We're a society & Police & National Guard handle the aftermath of events. Not vigilantes.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,859,049 times
Quote:
And yet Loughner was taken down while changing magazines. Then you admit that a person would be more likely to fire indiscriminately when they have a larger capacity magazine and thus put more innocent bystanders in harms way. Yet another reason to ban high capacity magazines. The criminals, in your head, that are attacking you likely got the drop on you before you could fire a shot & in turn will end up owning your weapon. Actually, you don't have a right to own as large a capacity magazine as you want, that's up to the state in which you reside. This is actually what it's going to come down to. States will all have their own gun regulations as determined by the legislators of each state.
We're a society & Police & National Guard handle the aftermath of events. Not vigilantes.
So if you ban magazines what is your plan for confiscating the hundreds of millions currently in circulation?

Tell me again how reloading leaves all this time to stop a perpetrator after watching this video?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzrahUUTi8

Old 09-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
They are CRIMINALS! Why should the law abiding citizen be punished for the acts of criminals? Will criminals go and turn in their magazines? All the magazines currently in circulation will be grandfathered. So criminals will still be able to keep their magazines, while us law abiding will have to adhere to the new laws.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,763,028 times
Quote:
You are aware he dropped the magazine, and someone held on to it while others fought him, it was because of the magazine extend length that able the person to grab it..

I did not admit anything a perosn who wants to kill will kill, in what ever manner or fashion they wish..

You are not going to ban them, even the dems wont, and even if you did with 3D printer we could millions at home.

really so you know my abilities? and my capabilities? just give up and pray for mercy? yeah that is the liberal metto is it not.

owning my own weapons you are aware that happens 0.00001% of the time right?

I actually have the right to as large as a capacity magazine as i want...

Really where were the police? and national guard is most of those case? no were to be found...so go ahead spout you mentally ill nonsense the people of America are no long buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies