Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
The Oregon Mall shooter shot himself after killing two people. Shooters often times take their own lives after killing as they don't want to face the consequences for their actions.
Yeh after he was interrupted by a CCW'r.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
How are your civil rights being violated if you're not allowed to have any damned weapon you want?

Personally I would make it 1 round and anything over that would be a felony. So, you should be happy that the proposals are for 10 rounds.

We have law enforcement to protect the public. Vigilantism went out with the old west when we decided we wanted to live in a civilized society. If you feel you want to be on your own while in public, Somalia or the like would be a suitable environment for you. When you're in your home, it's your castle. Thus, the courts have ruled that you have a right to protect your castle.
You are aware it is a hobby for most shooters right? Also, many are competitive shooters. How about we ban your hobby or something you enjoy doing??

Are criminals only going to load 1rd in their magazines too?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Do you expect our Armed Services to protect the country from invasion or are you going to take it upon yourself to do so? Yes, I do expect law enforcement to keep my community safe and that they be sufficiently funded to do so.
Sure, we all try to protect our family and we also rely on law enforcement to keep the community safe. While out of the home we protect our family by avoiding situations that pose a risk. If you choose to be a vigilante in protecting your family & in the process cause harm to a innocent bystander, be prepared to pay the consequences. The court takes a dim view of vigilantism.
Protecting yourself and others is not being a vigilantly.

Sometimes harm finds you, cannot avoid it. You can choose to play the odds, and this is your right, I choose to allow people to protect themselves if they so choose. Those innocent by standards are already at risk.

Common sense takes a dim view on turning people into defenseless lambs.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Do you expect our Armed Services to protect the country from invasion or are you going to take it upon yourself to do so? Yes, I do expect law enforcement to keep my community safe and that they be sufficiently funded to do so.
Sure, we all try to protect our family and we also rely on law enforcement to keep the community safe. While out of the home we protect our family by avoiding situations that pose a risk. If you choose to be a vigilante in protecting your family & in the process cause harm to a innocent bystander, be prepared to pay the consequences. The court takes a dim view of vigilantism.
Yeh because that worked out so well in the past right?

No one is forcing you to own gun.
I exercises my rights by choice and it's not negotiable.

You should go to a range some time and rent a gun. You might like it.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:51 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
There is a difference between vigilantism and self defense. The principles of self defense apply irrespective of whether you are in your home or in public, You have the right to protect yourself and your family. Law enforcement is not there to protect you. That is a myth. They are there to write a report and investigate after a crime has been committed against you. Hopefully not post mortum.. As far as the courts are concerned it is always better to be tried by 12 of your peers than to be carried by six close friends... An innocent bystander being harmed by someone trying to protect themselves with a firearm does happen, but it is seldom. Most people who own handguns are quite proficient. Most are more proficient than Law enforcement officers.. Bottom line, private citizens get more range time..

Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
So far as I know the Ar 15 is always .223 and or 5.56 As far as I know the AR-10 was always .308 aka NATO aka 7.62 x 51
The M-16 is always 5.56mm x 45mm, but not the AR-15. You can get different receivers and barrels for just about any caliber you want, including shot-guns. You can also get different receivers and barrels for the AR-10, although I do not think there are many caliber options with the AR-10 as there is with the AR-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't care for very unusual round types. I have a rifle that is that way now and it can be hell getting brass.
You do not have to get unusual round types. Here is an incomplete list of calibers for the AR-15:

AR-15, without bolt modification
  • .17 Remington
  • .17/223
  • .20 Tactical
  • .20 Practical
  • .20 Vartag
  • .204 Ruger
  • .221 Fireball
  • .222 Remington
  • .222 Remington Magnum
  • .223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
  • .223 Remington Ackley Improved
  • 6x45mm
  • 6mm TCU
  • 6x47mm
  • 6mm Whisper
  • .25x45mm
  • 6.5mm Whisper
  • 7mm Whisper
  • 7mm TCU
  • .300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
  • .338 Whisper
AR-15, with bolt modification
  • 223 WSSM
  • 5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
  • 243 WSSM
  • 6mm PPC
  • 6mm WOA
  • 6mm BR Remington
  • 6mm Hagar
  • 6.5mm PPC
  • 6.5 WSSM
  • 6.5 WOA
  • 6.5mm Grendel
  • 25 WSSM
  • 6.8x43mm SPC
  • .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
  • 7.62x25
  • 7.62x39mm
  • .30 RAR
  • 300 OSSM
  • .357 Auto
  • .35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
  • .358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
  • .458 SOCOM
  • .50 Action Express
  • .50 Beowulf
AR-15 using a simple blowback operation
  • .17 HMR
  • .22 LR
  • .22 WMR
  • 9x19mm
  • 9x21
  • 9x23
  • 30 Carbine
  • 357 Sig
  • 40S&W
  • 400 Cor-Bon
  • 41 Action Express
  • 10mm Auto
  • 45 GAP
  • 45ACP
  • 45 Super
  • 45 Win Mag
I like the AR-15 12-gauge shot-gun. It would make for a better camp gun than my current Mossberg 12-gauge. It is lighter, has a higher rate of fire, carries more ammo, is much easier to reload, and just as easy to clean. Loaded with .65 caliber sabot slugs and 00-buck, and it would make an effective weapon against bears and moose, for self-defense.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
All bullets in the military,standard bullets 5.56 and 9mm for example, are adequate. But, many special people use 45 ACP and 6.8mm spc
If the intent is to wound, then the 5.56mm x 45mm and 9mm parabellum is "adequate." However, if the goal is to kill, they are not "adequate." Which is why the military teaches the "double-tap" technique in regard to the 9mm. Something that is completely unnecessary for the .45 ACP.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Blackout is sweet. but for the 5.56 and 9mm to be adequate it usually means more bullets into body. Some P+ loads can do more yes, and of course HP makes a difference.
I like the 6.8, just me. And as far as a pistol, nothing but a 1911 imho. There are many more out there, but why mess with something that just works.
As Mac_Muz correctly surmised, "adequate" depends on one's definition. The only place I take my Beretta 92F is to the pistol range for target practice, and no where else. In the field I carry a Ruger .44 Super Redhawk as backup. My main means of protection is a Mossberg with an extended tube magazine, rifled barrel, and loaded with seven .65 sabot slugs. I am more concerned with brown bears, grizzlies, and moose than I am with people.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The problem with 9mm is they have to use fmj in the military. HP is a whole nother ball game for 9mm. With that said, all semi automatic handgun calibers are underpowered and should be seen as a back up to your rifle.
For home protection against human intruders, a 9mm Glaser round is a good choice. It does not richotte, will not go through an individual, and has the same stopping power as a .45 ACP. However, I agree that silver-tip hollow points are not a bad choice, but I would still recommend two shots to be certain.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:

Shooting An AR-15 (Bump Fire Stock) - YouTube

I don't need a magazine with more than 10 rounds and the hunting crowd I hang out with would ridicule anyone who showed up with such a load. JFC, you're going hunting not to war!
You may not need a magazine with more than 10 rounds, and that is your choice. I, on the other hand, do need a magazine with more than 10 rounds, and not for hunting. That should be my choice. Who are you to do decide the capacity of the magazines I can and cannot own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies