Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times

Advertisements

OP...Why the HELL did you start this thread? Enquiring minds want to know the sick pleasure you get out of faux outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
I honestly can't recall ever saying either of these phrases. Neither offend me and I think that is the case with pretty much everyone else. I think this is a made up controversy.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM

61 posts, read 85,165 times
Default Happy Holidays is a perfect fit for department stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays” instead of "Merry Christmas."
As members of the private sector, department stores have no reason to encourage a war on Christmas, since they would only hurt themselves in the process. However, with a financial stake involved, they also have reason to be inclusive of all faiths, and no faiths. Happy Holidays is a perfect answer, in that it includes everyone.

Anyone that has a problem with this is clearly out to have a problem, whether one actually exists or not. Like Bill O'Reilly.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,709 times
I usually say 'OMG, is it really? Where did the year go?'

Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM

408 posts, read 393,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Butthurt don't think so....... most non-believers are in more debt than most believers.
I didn't address debt arising from the holiday season. I was speaking directly to the question of who seems to be more torqued over how people choose to greet each other during that period, but YMMV.

FWIW, we don't do christmas presents, but we're certainly interested in post-holiday sales.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
I accidentally said "Merry Christmas" to a lady wearing a Hijab.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:28 PM

62,995 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell55 View Post
As members of the private sector, department stores have no reason to encourage a war on Christmas, since they would only hurt themselves in the process. However, with a financial stake involved, they also have reason to be inclusive of all faiths, and no faiths. Happy Holidays is a perfect answer, in that it includes everyone.

Anyone that has a problem with this is clearly out to have a problem, whether one actually exists or not. Like Bill O'Reilly.
Since only Christians believe in Christmas why are they being inclusive of all faiths and what possible interest could those non-Christians have in Christmas anyway?

Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
LMAO

we're talking about a period of several holidays, wherein the big controversy is saying "Happy Holidays"

MEANING that all those other religious celebrations held during that time also fall under the same greeting.

Let me update the last question I asked you, when was the last time you heard someone say Happy Chanukah to some random stranger?
What are you talking about? Christmas is the holiday being celebrated where the term Happy Holidays is being used rather that Merry Christmas by some or many. A period of several holidays? WTH? I wouldn't say Happy Chanukah to anyone because I am not Jewish. I certainly wouldn't say Happy Holidays to a Jewish person. What's that supposed to mean?

Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why be offended by "Happy holidays"? Hell, even a Christian celebrates at least 2 holidays that month - Christmas and New Years. Two holidays. Happy HOLIDAYS.
I am offended because Happy Holidays is meant to replace Merry Christmas by those who aren't Christian and in fact don't like what it stands for. If one can't use the correct term for the holiday then don't say anything. How many people on New Year's Eve or Day say Happy Holidays? They don't, they say Happy New Year because that is what the holiday represents.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 PM

408 posts, read 393,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Since only Christians believe in Christmas why are they being inclusive of all faiths and what possible interest could those non-Christians have in Christmas anyway?
Who says we are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies