Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have a kid. She is 2 and her father is out of the picture. Completely. His choice. I got pregnant, it was an accident and I owned up to it. I don't believe in abortions for ME so I didn't get one.

I am not white trash nor do I live off handouts. I am actually pretty driven and pursuing an education and a career in law. I want to be the best role model I can be for my daughter and someone she can look up to and hopefully she will make better decisions that the ones I have made.

I loathe these single mom stereotypes: the high school educated welfare queen with an EBT card and driving an Escalade. I hope you know not every single mother out there fits that bill.
Surprisingly, as you of course know, the vast majority of these single moms aren't the high school educated welfare queen with an EBT card and driving an Escalade. Most of them are loving and hardworking women.

However, that doesn't stop some of the conservative leaning people from trying to paint the picture of the fictional welfare queen that Reagan imagined years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 01:01 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I so agree with you!

It is ridiculous to pain unwed moms with a broad stroke. I also contributed to OOW births but I was in a committed relationship with the father of my child for years and we are still together but married now,
Yeah, people tend to forget that black people tend to do it backwards. lol.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
I don't see the issue. Why is marriage even important in this day in age? Being born out of wedlock is not a life impediment.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
There are other countries where out of wedlock births are very high.

Iceland -65%
Estonia - 59.7%
Slovenia - 56.8%
Bulgaria - 56.1%
France - 55.8%
Norway - 55%
Sweden - 54.3%

Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't see the issue. Why is marriage even important in this day in age? Being born out of wedlock is not a life impediment.
Uh...yes it is. It's pretty well understood that the key to success in educational and economic attainment is a strong familial unit, including 2 parent homes.

Not sure what would compel you to think otherwise in the face of so many studies that contradict your viewpoint??

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Uh...yes it is. It's pretty well understood that the key to success in educational and economic attainment is a strong familial unit, including 2 parent homes.
That's one key, but not the key. My wife has a master's degree in nursing; her parents divorced when she was 10.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
If your reasonsing for making the thread is simply to counter the "black wedlock" thread, I think you've got a heavy lift to even make a valid comparison. White people have a LONG way to go to catch up with other races.

Read more: Most children in U.S. born out of wedlock | Mail Online
I should have rephrased the title. Yet most births for women in the USA under 30 are from women out of wedlock and I stated that.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM

408 posts, read 393,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reduce the number of children who are dependent upon the state by providing a financial incentive to women receiving benefits to stop having more babies.
Okay, Miss Smith -- you'll get a $1000 check for the first child you don't have, and then another $500 for each additional child you don't have.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM

408 posts, read 393,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Child support does not make the kid legitimate.
And trying to shame a woman for carrying a kid to term (which appears to be what conservatives generally want pregnant women to do in the first place) does not address the problem in any way. It just makes the person doing the shaming out to be a major jerk.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:

Not sure what would compel you to think otherwise in the face of so many studies that contradict your viewpoint??
No its not. What if you have two unemployed gang banging parents?

The bottom line is functional individuals tend to produce functional children because the children often emulate the parent or parents. Functional individuals tend to live in functional environments/communities, while dysfunctional individuals tend to live in dysfunctional environments/communities. Hence, dysfunctional individuals will produce dysfunctional kids, at a greater rate than functional individuals, whether the dysfunctional individuals are married or not, when the produce a child, because the home and environment are dysfunctional. Marriage plays little role in whether an adult is functional or dysfunctional. This is not like mathematics where a negative times a negative have a positive product. If you watch FOX news you think all the problems of the inner city could be solved by having mass marriages of all single individuals. That is not only simplistic.....its idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies