Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,529,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So stupid to blame Obama for this. I really can no longer take your posts seriously.
The Obama's are actually a great example of family life. 2 kids born in marriage and no rumblings I've heard of any affairs. He may be the face of a "scary, new America" but his own family is straight out the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,698,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Uh...yes it is. It's pretty well understood that the key to success in educational and economic attainment is a strong familial unit, including 2 parent homes.

Not sure what would compel you to think otherwise in the face of so many studies that contradict your viewpoint??

Being in a two 2 household does not ensure what you listed. A child could witness domestic violence, which could take a toll on his mental health. What about divorce?

Keep in mind that out of wedlock births do not essentially mean absent fathers. A father doesn't have to be married to a kid's mother in order to be involved in his kid's life.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,748,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I never realized those young people having kids and in need of assistance are considered rich because they are on welfare. Does that mean people who are not in need of any welfare is now considered poor?

We have actually created a society that siphons off by force, from those that have lived an adult life for some time, to make it the easiest time in US history for the young and unmarried to start families and automatically get a paycheck.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,969,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Society needs to shame these breeders. "Hi Miss Jones. How is your ba$tard doing today?"
Many children know who their fathers are, too bad many fathers feel they can walk.

I believe men who do this ought to be shamed.....at least made to pay until their sperm is 18.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,969,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
im with you sister.

what do you say to the conservative males on here who would label you as a detriment to society, as some already have on here labeled single mothers that way?
I disagree here, no one suggested single moms who take care of their children are detriment to society. What women have to consider is in the end they're the ones that will get pregnant. If the guy walks who usually (at least there was a time when this was very true) has the more caring heart to pick up the pieces and carry on and finish raising the child or children.

The poster is doing the best with what was handed to her and she's not asking society to do a damn thing, she and her daughter should be very proud people. Hopefully some day the father sees his daughter had a better role model than he was ever able to be.

Shame on him for at least not paying to support the child he helped create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Okay, Miss Smith -- you'll get a $1000 check for the first child you don't have, and then another $500 for each additional child you don't have.
You might just have an idea here!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,262,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We have actually created a society that siphons off by force, from those that have lived an adult life for some time, to make it the easiest time in US history for the young and unmarried to start families and automatically get a paycheck.
Easiest time in US history? Well I guess those young people struggling to put food on the table for their family should be thankful for all their government riches.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Uh...yes it is. It's pretty well understood that the key to success in educational and economic attainment is a strong familial unit, including 2 parent homes.

Not sure what would compel you to think otherwise in the face of so many studies that contradict your viewpoint??
What makes you assume "out of wedlock" always = single-parent home? That's where your logic falters.

Hint: People can have children together, stay together, and STILL not be married. Thus, two parent home. These days it isn't all that uncommon to do so, and I dare you to produce a study saying that piece of paper makes any difference in the child's well-being (assuming the parents don't split up).

Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM

408 posts, read 394,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hint: People can have children together, stay together, and STILL not be married. Thus, two parent home. These days it isn't all that uncommon to do so, and I dare you to produce a study saying that piece of paper makes any difference in the child's well-being (assuming the parents don't split up).
Indeed. I know a couple that did just that, had two kids and *never* got married. They did eventually split up (dad got custody of the kids), but despite the fact that they weren't married, they were together twice as long as my first wife and I were.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Child support does not make the kid legitimate.
What is "legitimate" really? People can produce and raise children together, whether they are legally married or not... does that still bother you, just because they are "illegitimate?" Sheesh, how antiquated.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Indeed. I know a couple that did just that, had two kids and *never* got married. They did eventually split up (dad got custody of the kids), but despite the fact that they weren't married, they were together twice as long as my first wife and I were.
Wait, what??!! Didn't you know that if you lack a contract from the government, your relationship is nonexistent and your children will be losers? Apparently, that's what some people here seem to believe! Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure most of them (with this mindset) are politically conservative - and I thought liberals were the ones who liked "big daddy gubment" telling them what to do or not do? You'd think the conservatives would be applauding this, but clearly they also can't distinguish between SINGLE and unmarried vs PARTNERED and unmarried. Tough concept, I know.

And yes, I realize the majority of unmarried parents are probably single - but that also doesn't mean the child's father is completely out of the picture. Hasn't anyone heard of shared custody? I know plenty of divorced/single men who play active roles in their children's lives, some of whom even have 50/50 custody AND pay child support on top of that. It's not as common as we'd like, but does still exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies