Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,434 times

Advertisements

Be it private or public healthcare in the end the problem is someone else pays for the care and thus there are no cost control incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I am dealing with that right now as a minister. It is clear the patient is on the way out, the children are saying let them go - the spouse is not quite as willing to let go. Hospital staff are doing only what is medically necessary but they have a fine line to walk (which IMO they are doing beautifully).
People making decisions during the last years of their life drive up health care costs significantly, they are difficult choices and hard not to make decisions based on emotion. Around 14% of the population is over 65 so this will become a more significant issue . Good article from PEW Research.

Views on End-of-Life Medical Treatments | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The shame is that an OP that starts a thread like this doesn't ask a mod to delete it ( or change the title) with humility and embarrassment on the basis that it isn't true.
BTW....truly interested conservatives opposed to the ACA do not believe crap like this.
There's enough to object to that is legitimate.
Thank you.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Assisted suicide is coming to Quebec, since about 90% of the populace is for it, but for now, we're not allowed to do anything except withhold food and water in dying patients. It sounds cruel, but it provides natural pain relief and feelings of euphoria.

Nutrition and Hydration (End of Life)

Hospice Signs of Dying

Nursing Center - Journal Article

Nutrition, eating, and serious illness

I can't tell you how many idiot aides I've caught, whispering "Those awful doctors and nurses want to torture you. Here, let me give you some water", undermining the process and prolonging the whole business of dying.

I had to rescue my dad twice from people like that. The third time, they got him.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ok, here's the deal, YES, I DID get to make that decision. Yet another liberal LIE that you killers are passing around.
Do you DENY that health carriers decline to pay for procedures every single day?

Do you ASSERT that doctors will then perform them for free?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Do you DENY that health carriers decline to pay for procedures every single day?

Do you ASSERT that doctors will then perform them for free?

Very good! Now this should get interesting.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You have no idea who these people are, yet you make fun of them...seriously?. Do you even know how many elderly and terminally ill commit suicide. Wow and here you are belittling them
Forcing family members to remain in the same room for the duration of that person's life while they subject them to multiple needle piercings, bed sores and infections that run rampant, not to mention the pain mitigation drugs that are sometimes a torture in themselves, should go a long way to having these idiot family members who go home every night to a comfortable nights sleep suddenly wake up and say to themselves: "I supposedly love this person; why the hell am I putting them through these days of endless misery?"

Instead of nurses politely asking family members to leave the room while grandpa has some other indignity imposed upon him; perhaps they should demand family remain to observe first hand what machinations are necessary to prolong life uncaringly. "gotta change gramps diaper again and while we have him rolled up on his side we're going to take the opportunity to change his catheter as well, ignore those groans as they're completely involuntary, here hold this while I handi-wipe his........"

Sticking around to observe all of that would do all these so-called morally superior beings a world of good.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Sickening isn't it?

Being "humane" to the older people (no matter what state of health) is not what the "US Gubbermint" mindset as they just want to KILL, other countries must either be in shock and or laughing at us on what we're doing.

Too bad these politicians and their big personal $$ wallets will never see the day their inhumane laws bite them in the arse.
Yes, we are laughing at you.
Laughing because you dig in your heels and refuse to accept single-payer because "it's communist".
Much like you refuse to accept the metric system, gays and women in the military, coin money, climate change, same sex marriage, etc.
Because you're "special". American Exceptionalism means cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Your the one wanting to treat them like old pets that need to die.And you say I am belittling them? I don't ever ever wanna be your pet human ever.
You are discussing a very complex topic in the most simplistic manner possible. Do you NOT think that 'end of life' care has been discussed ad nauesum by the AMA and insurance industry for the past 20 years? If so, you aren't well informed, my friend. It's a huge topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With medicare though the government controls how much it will pay the doctors/hospitals.
That's where the government has their power.
Well. Medicare isn't exactly mentioned in the thread title "Death panels in Obamadon'tcare, just like we told you".

Did Obama invent Medicare as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People making decisions during the last years of their life drive up health care costs significantly, they are difficult choices and hard not to make decisions based on emotion. Around 14% of the population is over 65 so this will become a more significant issue . Good article from PEW Research.

Views on End-of-Life Medical Treatments | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
One would think that end of life care has never been researched or discussed prior to Obama being elected President.

There is so much ignorance and misinformation on this thread; it's really impossible to respond to it all.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Mark Halperin corrects himself on death panels......

In Mon intv I did not say "death panels" nor do I believe ACA contains them.
Was speaking of political/policy challenge of IPAB cuts. My bad

Mark Halperin Corrects Himself on Obamacare 'Death Panels'xxx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies