Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I agree with Halprin we need to have a mature discussion about end of life treatment and also giving the people the choice to end their own lives in a dignified manner. I know conservatives on here will call me a liberal now but to them folks how do you justify knee surgery for a 80 year old woman already in a wheel chair? Or like the example of another poster a triple bi pass on a 87 year old man? How do you justify a 140 billion cost to keep people alive for less then 2 years? This is insanity and it is going to only get worse with the boomer generation, which I am part of by the way.
Then the same should apply across the board regardless of age. If you are a young, low life criminal, no major life saving surgery for you because you already cost the tax payer enough money. How about a young homosexual who has AIDS? They should be done away with too because they only endanger healthy people. How about heavy drug abusers? Let them die too because it is inevitable. This could go on and on and eventually you will have to have been born into the "elite" class (rulers) in order for you to get ANY kind of life saving treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Then the same should apply across the board regardless of age. If you are a young, low life criminal, no major life saving surgery for you because you already cost the tax payer enough money. How about a young homosexual who has AIDS? They should be done away with too because they only endanger healthy people. How about heavy drug abusers? Let them die too because it is inevitable. This could go on and on and eventually you will have to have been born into the "elite" class (rulers) in order for you to get ANY kind of life saving treatment.
Yes, liberals are arguing based on the quality of life. Druggies on a constant mission for more drugs, people with aids.... It could go as far as government determining if you don't contribute the government coffers you are a load on society.

The possibilities are endless!!!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Mark Halperin corrects himself on death panels......

In Mon intv I did not say "death panels" nor do I believe ACA contains them.
Was speaking of political/policy challenge of IPAB cuts. My bad

Mark Halperin Corrects Himself on Obamacare 'Death Panels'xxx
Ok, so because he didn't actually use those exact words is supposed to make us believe they don't exist??

Old 11-27-2013, 01:13 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Ok, so because he didn't actually use those exact words is supposed to make us believe they don't exist??
If they existed, they'd be able to be found.
There is something in the ACA and it can be misinterpreted by some posters on CD easily and willingly to mean rationing and 'death panels'
Put it in your next post and we'll discuss it.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Having a family full of nurses and teachers, I can tell you what the nurses have seen. I am just going to talk about the elderly right now. 99% are ready to go because they feel they have lived a good life but their quality of life has gone downhill. They don't want to be bedridden with a diaper on or in a wheelchair. They don't want a life like that because that is no life to them. Yet here we let them live on and on with no dignity. There are no death panels because we keep them alive at all costs. We treat our pets better than this and it's shameful.
That's why they have living wills. All your nurse relatives never told you about them?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/living-wills/HA00014
You would rather have the government make the decision of life or death for you? I have heard of devoted followers of Obama but that takes the cake!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, we are laughing at you.
Laughing because you dig in your heels and refuse to accept single-payer because "it's communist".
Much like you refuse to accept the metric system, gays and women in the military, coin money, climate change, same sex marriage, etc.
Because you're "special". American Exceptionalism means cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Who has the final say on whether those are "right" or "wrong?"

Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Who has the final say on whether those are "right" or "wrong?"
Well in a functioning democracy other than a federal republic I guess it would be a majority of voters.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well in a functioning democracy other than a federal republic I guess it would be a majority of voters.
It would depend on the issue. If a majority of voters say that climate change (formerly known as "global warming") will doom the planet, that doesn't mean it will actually happen.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Having a family full of nurses and teachers, I can tell you what the nurses have seen. I am just going to talk about the elderly right now. 99% are ready to go because they feel they have lived a good life but their quality of life has gone downhill. They don't want to be bedridden with a diaper on or in a wheelchair. They don't want a life like that because that is no life to them. Yet here we let them live on and on with no dignity. There are no death panels because we keep them alive at all costs. We treat our pets better than this and it's shameful.
Non answer. You did not address my question. You only talk about people who are "ready to go". Again, what if they DO want to live? Will we just kill them anyway? Sounds like it, and how shameful and disgusting that anyone would support such a thing. We certainly do treat our pets better than that.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Would these death panels be any different than the ones that have existed for eons already within the U.S. related to Insurance Companies denying treatment or outright cancelling your coverage upon you sustaining a serious illness?
With the insurance companies, you always have an alternative. Idiotcare took that away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies