Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

This child is being kept alive by machines and the body is being supplied nutrients so she will do slightly better, but regardless, for all intents and purpose, she is brain dead and will never recover to the point she was before the surgery. What is the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
This child is being kept alive by machines and the body is being supplied nutrients so she will do slightly better, but regardless, for all intents and purpose, she is brain dead and will never recover to the point she was before the surgery. What is the point?
Usually,the point is so the parents can continue to deny reality. The longer the body can be kept "alive", the longer their hope can be, also.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
The affadavit from the doctor including a graphic description that the bowel is breaking down. A feeding tube is pouring nutrients into a slowly rotting corpse.

Is this what the mom wants? When the smells of putrefaction become evident, will they finally pull the plug?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Usually,the point is so the parents can continue to deny reality. The longer the body can be kept "alive", the longer their hope can be, also.
If I was the parent of this child, I would like to think I would let them go peacefully. Hopefully they will realize there is no future for this child.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I still want to know who is paying the bills, both legal and medical!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Doctors vs parents, science vs faith, what to do with a dead patient?
Bury or cremate.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lawyer: Brain-Dead Teen 'Getting Better'

The California 13-year-old declared dead after tonsil surgery is getting better at the undisclosed facility she was moved to earlier this week, family lawyer Christopher Dolan says. Jahi McMath has had feeding and tracheostomy tubes inserted and "doctors are optimistic that her condition has stabilized and that her health is improving from when she was taken from" hospital, Dolan tweeted. He says she is now "doing very well" and is getting the treatment she should have had weeks ago,

Lawyer: Jahi McMath gets feeding tube, 'improving' - SFGate
And an attorney would know this how?

The court affidavit from the attending physician, who took care of Jahi, outlines why a feeding tube would be futile. This physician explained that the bowels make no sounds which indicates a condition called ileus. Ileus means that the intestines are not functioning. This physician also reported that the lining of the intestinal lining was sloughed and defecated. To instill tube feeding into a gastrointestinal tract of this condition will result in the tube feeding not moving and the bowels distending. The bowels could distend to the point of rupturing. The tube feeding could also leak into the abdominal cavity from the bowel due to the loss of bowel integrity. This would quickly lead to peritonitis. The family could witness extreme distention of the abdomen and see oozing of tube feeding from the mouth, nose, and rectum. If Jahi wasn't brain dead, this condition would cause excruciating pain. If the doctor, who is treating Jahi now, really believes Jahi is not brain dead, this doctor would then be knowingly causing torturous pain to a person unable to communicate. What kind of doctor would do that?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
This whole situation is just disturbing. On so many levels. Medical. Legal. Social. Will this drama ever end?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
This is a case that would try the wisdom of Solomon.

All i know is that if my own daughter, who had her tonsils removed at age 11, had hemorrhaged afterward and when I came back to the hospital and saw a warm, pink body with a pumping chest, I would believe she was still alive and there was still a chance for recovery.

It would not matter in the least to me if 3 doctors or 33 doctors all said she is nothing but a warm corpse, with organs kept alive by air pressure and electricity.

Accepting the fact of brain death would take me some time. I know that, at least until I could accept it, I would do everything in my power to keep my little girl alive.

Only when the realization sets in that everything she was and could be is now gone forever would my thoughts change.

Most families in the same circumstance eventually come to see that last statement, but some never do.

Without a doubt, the girl's body will deteriorate to nothing but skin and bones as the organs finally begin to fail. Some people can see this deterioration for what it is, while others cannot tear their minds away from all the mental images of a healthy, young, active girl who becomes increasingly more idealized as the days go by.

Cost? What's that, compared to the loss of a beloved child? I think her family needs more time. Pushing them right now will only cause them to become more desperately stubborn, and increase the fantasy that their little girl will come back and be the child they knew when she went into the hospital. Denial is a very tough thing to turn around.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
They might need more time, but at what point in a bodies decomposition does the facility legally have to turn it over to the funeral home? The decomp cannot be put off indefinitely. It is already happening. Allowing a dead body to decompose in a facility with other patients family members in close vicinity, has to constitute a health hazard.
At that point, the family will have to allow their child to be buried. All of their previous memories of her health and vitality will come to an abrupt halt, when somebody has to come in and clean it up.
It's just sad, that their state of denial has allowed things to go this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies